Bj40 value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
Trying to sort my late father's truck out. Can someone tell me an honest value?
Costa Rican import. Gone over here in USA. Been sitting for 3 years. Located south florida.
4 speed non Turbo diesel
Old Man Emu Suspension
BFG 33s 15" rims
ARB front bumper
Warm 10k winch
AC kit
Ambulance doors
Re wired
4 wheel disc
Raptor liner coated undercarriage
Not sure on mileage, since redone very little

20221229_100201.jpg

20221229_100237.jpg

20221229_124911.jpg

20221229_125045.jpg

Sorry I can't help with the value other than saying, looks like Vintage Air Conditioning and Florida title are a plus. Nice looking rig.

Is the motor a B one? If I am not mistaken, the head looks like a 3B-II (late 3B, square tappet cover) or a 14B head...
Moreover, do I see a Toyota Power Sterring pump (not factory equipment to any BJ40)?

A fair bit. Don't sell it too quick. Better off keeping it, as a cheaper car/s will cost you more over time as they are not as good or fixable. It would be hard to get it again.

Better off having empty pockets and something reliable. You will just spend the money in time, whilst the cruiser shall last your life.

You will be surprised how many people will ask you if you are selling when you drive around.

Out of all the cruisers, the 40's have gone up in value the most. They don't make them like that anymore and never will.

It looks like a very nice truck. That said, there are several Central American 40's on the forum that are kind of cobbled up restorations. I am not saying that yours is, and it doesn't look that way, but it would certainly be a good idea to discern how it was restored. The biggest giveaways are evidence of heavy bondo (wavy panels and messy edges of the metal), incorrect bolts and nuts, mismatched items on the suspension and trim, etc. Just general sloppiness. Those details make a huge difference when selling a high profile fj40, which yours is. If you sell here on MUD you will get all of these questions. If you sell on Bring a Trailer, the same will happen and if not well documented and represented, it will not sell well. I am not trying to be a naysayer, just that some time spent on MUD researching and learning so YOU know what you are selling will be a great asset to you. Good luck!

It’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But that’s economics 101.

[In an enthusiast community, there are tons of other factors at play…

…speculation, marketing, influencing, envy, jealousy, BS, lying, deceit, manipulation, grandstanding, downright preying on ignorance and selling a rock as a diamond “never seen before”….

…. Or someone is honestly telling you to stay the **** away from the truck or the seller or the history.]

Again, your truck is worth what someone else will pay for it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a 1977 BJ40 from Costa Rica, not sure what engine that is, but that isn’t the stock engine. Depending on how well installed or modified it is, it can either up or down the value. It looks pretty well installed, so it probably helps the value, but that engine is not OEM. honestly, that truck can probably be at minimum 35k if it isn’t too rusty. I’ve seen way rustier trucks with more visible bondo sell for 30-40k. It just depends who buys it and what they are willing to pay. Some people overpay a lot.

Do you know the date when it was painted? Or when it was “restored”? If it was restored several years ago, and there are no visible bubbles in the paint, it should be more valuable. If it has bubbles, that means it was just bondo’d and painted, not actually restored. There are some good gems in Costa Rica, but a lot of people just paint over rust and resell it for a quick buck.

I have a 1977 BJ40 from Costa Rica, not sure what engine that is, but that isn’t the stock engine. Depending on how well installed or modified it is, it can either up or down the value. It looks pretty well installed, so it probably helps the value, but that engine is not OEM. honestly, that truck can probably be at minimum 35k if it isn’t too rusty. I’ve seen way rustier trucks with more visible bondo sell for 30-40k. It just depends who buys it and what they are willing to pay. Some people overpay a lot.

Do you know the date when it was painted? Or when it was “restored”? If it was restored several years ago, and there are no visible bubbles in the paint, it should be more valuable. If it has bubbles, that means it was just bondo’d and painted, not actually restored. There are some good gems in Costa Rica, but a lot of people just paint over rust and resell it for a quick buck.
The engine is a 14b with a 4 speed, was ordered thru a restorer/importer one of the bigger ones. My dad got the truck and wasn't happy with it. tore down the mechanicals, inspected and replace what look questionable. replaced clutch kit, tidied it up and rewired. He was a Industrial mechanic by trade. The build photos shows the original body to be clean and was red. Sitting for 3 years now in a garage., never really driven once redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom