BJ 74 Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I burnt my starter (BJ 74. 13BT 24volt). O

n Monday I started and heard a whining sound that wasn't normal. I parked and shut down the engine. I expected a belt or one of the pulleys. After shutting down I lifted the hood and the belts and fan are still running. After about 30 seconds I realize the starter didn't dis-engage. I ran to the shop for wrenches and after about three minutes I am taking the battery cable off but I was too slow and there was smoke coming from the starter.

After towing it in to the shop my mechanic tapped the starter and it dis-engaged, and now it does start. However, I'm pretty sure it will be very damaged by the amount of smoke it emitted, and because it probably ran for 4 or 5 minutes before I got it shut down.

So, I have a used starter coming to put back in. The contacts have been replaced and the starter bench tested and is strong (thanks to Raddcruisers).

Two questions; how would I know that it was the solenoid contacts on the starter that caused this? Is it possible that it was a problem in the ignition instead? If so, how would I test it? There was never an issue before and the vehicle has only 137,000 km.

Second question; given how expensive the starters are, is there any value in having it sent away to a starter shop to see if they can rescue it? I could always handle having a spare around.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure exactly how the starters on the BJ7x engines work, but on my Mercedes G I have had trouble with the solenoid seizing in the off position, causing the engine to not start. Since when your mechanic tapped the starter it disengaged, I wonder if it could have seized in the on position. For my starter it was a matter of lubrication, so I disassembled the solenoid, cleaned it, and thoroughly lubricated it with a high-temp light grease. It has worked fine ever since.

Yes, send your starter to get rebuilt. I carried mine to a shop about 2 hours away. There are lots of parts available for those 24V starters. I can't recall if the starters or the alternators are the same as used in Toyota forklifts.
About the only thing saved from my original starter was the housing. Armature, brushes, bearings etc all replaced. The experts were kind enough to return all the bits they took off the original.

BC is big. Are these guys anywhere near you?
A S I Rebuilders - Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Hey, sorry to hear about that. If you can get it rebuilt even as a back up do that, they are expensive to replace.
When you pull the back cover off, pull the solenoid plunger and inspect the contacts they will be heavily speckled with craters where the electricity has been arcing along the contact surface. I used wet/dry to sand it down to smooth. It is hard to hold the contacts flat
when you reassemble and tighten the outside nut that holds the contact. Push down really hard manually on the solenoid plunger
and do your very best to keep the contact faces flat against each other while you tighten the outer nut. Don't be afraid to take a
couple of tries at this.
I had Flesh Auto Marine Electric in Nanaimo redo my starter 3 times before we got some bugs worked out, mind you it's a
12HT and is known for starter issues. I don't think the 13BT has the same track record so I'm thinking this won't be an
ongoing issue. Unless someone else pipes up here with more experience.

Yes, send your starter to get rebuilt. I carried mine to a shop about 2 hours away. There are lots of parts available for those 24V starters. I can't recall if the starters or the alternators are the same as used in Toyota forklifts.
About the only thing saved from my original starter was the housing. Armature, brushes, bearings etc all replaced. The experts were kind enough to return all the bits they took off the original.

BC is big. Are these guys anywhere near you?
A S I Rebuilders - Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Well, its only a 12 hour drive! But I pass through the lower mainland sometimes, so I will definitely try to get mine rebuilt as a back up. Yes it turns out these are the same starters as a forklift and the forklift starters so parts should be easy to get. Thanks!

Hey, sorry to hear about that. If you can get it rebuilt even as a back up do that, they are expensive to replace.
When you pull the back cover off, pull the solenoid plunger and inspect the contacts they will be heavily speckled with craters where the electricity has been arcing along the contact surface. I used wet/dry to sand it down to smooth. It is hard to hold the contacts flat
when you reassemble and tighten the outside nut that holds the contact. Push down really hard manually on the solenoid plunger
and do your very best to keep the contact faces flat against each other while you tighten the outer nut. Don't be afraid to take a
couple of tries at this.
I had Flesh Auto Marine Electric in Nanaimo redo my starter 3 times before we got some bugs worked out, mind you it's a
12HT and is known for starter issues. I don't think the 13BT has the same track record so I'm thinking this won't be an
ongoing issue. Unless someone else pipes up here with more experience.

Thanks for advice on the contacts. Will take a look at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom