Builds bj 6.0l build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the caliper mount is in between the spindle and the knuckle. How did you account for the added width?

BTW, that is an interesting idea, but that's gonna drag the crap out of the tire in turns..

Spindle goes on then the caliper bracket goes on using longer bolts

The added width comes from the ifs hubs and the slip on Tacoma rotors are 1/2 thick at the mount surface.

This allows me to remove the entire assembly as a unit. I only have to pull the caliper then remove the hub face and snap ring and the spindle bolts too change a birf

Ahhh, I was thinking that the caliper mount was inside the spindle, not outside.

Cool.

The biggest benefit for me with this setup is its now a unit bearing basically keep the mud and snow out of the bearings

I can snow wheel almost 12 months of the year in northern bc

How is the bearing style different than before? Or do you mean if you have to change a birf you do not have to pull the disk brake off?

Please do!

From the sounds of it, he's using this kit. The "unit bearing" is that you can remove the selectable hub face, remove the outer c-clip on the birfield stub, then unbolt the spindle from the knuckle and slide everything off:

Tacoma Brake Mounting Kit

Yeah, I get that you can pull the hub off as one piece, but the seals are still the same. The benefit is only when replacing a birf out in the field right?

It won't seal any better than the stock setup when just driving around. Unless I'm missing something (not a first).

Yeah, I get that you can pull the hub off as one piece, but the seals are still the same. The benefit is only when replacing a birf out in the field right?

It won't seal any better than the stock setup when just driving around. Unless I'm missing something (not a first).

Correct. Secondary benefit is that you have increased your WMS width as a result of using the IFS hubs instead of the stock hubs.

Unless you pulled the entire knuckle off instead of the bearings before ;)

I did the IFS conversion with spacers back in 2004 IIRC. That and 2" BS rims required hydro assist for almost everything...

Keeper up!

Yeah, it's gonna be a bit still turning with that much Scrub radius. Not impossible in any fashion, but definitely harder on things.. Keep an eye on your knuckle studs, they'll likely loosen quite often.

The plus side is that it is dirt easy to do Hydro assist on a FJ60 box.

Yeah I wheeled Lwb samurais for years on toy axles with 2 bs wheels so I know about s*** turning radius lol

Definitely going hydro assist as most of those years was on 36 inch tires and no power steering. Only on my last one did I finally put power steering and I won't go back to strong arming it. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom