BJ 40 v. FJ 40 pros and cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking to purchase an FJ 40 79-83 with a good 2F, 6cyl engine, 4 speed. While en route to look at what I was told was a cherry '77 (I know out of my stated range but who could resist looking over a great one) I came across a '80 BJ 40, with a 4cyl, B diesel engine. The speedometer is busted and the odometer stopped turning God only knows when at 192,2xx, no rust. It runs ok but while drivable it would be completely a project vehicle not ready for reliable driving for a number of months. I have never owned a diesel and as a total newbie to the forum and restoration world I have no idea regarding the rep or history of the BJ 40s. I would like the opinions of those assembled here regarding which you would choose and why. As an assist, I have a dual purpose for this vehicle, as a daily driver and camping and exploration of light to moderately tough trails. As a daily driver, I planned to keep the Toyota engine and make the necessary mods so that it could comfortably cruise on the highway at 75-80mph without fear of coming apart at the seams. I was able to get the motor number and chassis number for the BJ to the extent that that info impacts on your view. Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your responses.:clap:

Does anybody go 75-80 mph in a 2f with the 4spd? What rpm that be at?

Well. What can I say? (I know whatever I say will be biased.) The choice would be "no contest" for me. But how much like me are you?

Perhaps you should read some of the threads on the "diesel & 24V" forum to see if you can see yourself becoming a "diesel freak".

:cheers:

PS. I reckon there is no doubt that a diesel's "high torque at low revs" and "excellent engine braking" mean it performs best off-road. But some people don't like the lack of "highway power", smell, or "rattly engine" sound.

I guess you can say I am REALLY biased, I say get the BJ. I LOVE my BJ44 and wouldn't trade it for anything. The BJ gets better mpg and the engines (I have been told) are bullet proof. The 192K, is that km or miles? If it's km, that engine is barely broken in. Good luck on your decision.

75 - 80 mph in a ?j40? pretty scary. At least around here, there's places I wouldn't go that fast in a Lamborghini.

The diesel is a better off-road engine IMO, certainly the mileage at low RPMs such as trail riding is much better than the 2F gives you much more range.

It has plenty of power for off-road use too, at least with open diffs you can always manage to spin your tires off pavement.

Neither the B series engines or the F series engines are high-revers, fast highway speeds are generally not a '40s forte.

Thanks for the responses. 1922xxx km or roughly 1194xx miles, whenever the odometer croaked. That could have been 6 months or six years ago but point taken for a B engine it just learned to walk. I'm still waiting for the owner of the 77 to get back so that I can get over to see his.

I guess you can say I am REALLY biased, I say get the BJ. I LOVE my BJ44 and wouldn't trade it for anything. The BJ gets better mpg and the engines (I have been told) are bullet proof. The 192K, is that km or miles? If it's km, that engine is barely broken in. Good luck on your decision.

75 - 80 mph in a ?j40? pretty scary. At least around here, there's places I wouldn't go that fast in a Lamborghini.

The diesel is a better off-road engine IMO, certainly the mileage at low RPMs such as trail riding is much better than the 2F gives you much more range.

It has plenty of power for off-road use too, at least with open diffs you can always manage to spin your tires off pavement.

Neither the B series engines or the F series engines are high-revers, fast highway speeds are generally not a '40s forte.

Scary you say,? that if you ever are able to reach that speed. 75 mph is back wind on flat surface. If you wish to be able to cruise on the highway at 80 mph, any 40 serie is not for you....Yes it is possible to drive fast in a 40, it is just not fun...

Granted you may reach those speed in the BJ, but head wind and/or slop and you are back to 50 mph..

80 mph in my 60 is about 3000 rpms

You obviously have much larger than stock tires. To answer the question, you'd be "tached out" at 75-80 in a stock FJ40 with 2f. You can comfortably reach 70 or so on 31's with the stock 4 speed. 80 is the realm of V8 conversions, with at least 33" tires, or 5 speed. Probably not worth the trouble to get to a comfortable 80 per daily driver. The diesel will have about 1/3 less horsepower than a stock 2F, which ain't a hell of a lot to start with. Diesels have their own cool factor, but high horsepower, fast grade climbing, and rapid overtaking aren't part of it, unless you go turbocharged. Think slower, smellier, louder, with great mileage and plenty of time to get there. A rebuild of a diesel engine would be much more expensive than rebuilding a 2f.

If you were to do this in a BJ40, the first thing would be to upgrade to a 3B and turbo it. Not really worth making a highway driver imo. Cars are cheaper, lighter, smoother, and more efficient.

80 mph???are you serious?

the difference in fuel savings from fj to bj would pay off the truck, if you drove alot.
my owners manual says 28 mpg for a bj 42 and 8 mpg for a fj 40.
and the only time a 40 should do 80 mph is on a flatbed or train!!!

I had a B motor in my BJ..and went to a 3B....night and day...but still not 80 mph...I can do 75 in bursts, passing etc, but she's whining, I'm planning on turboing it...

you'll get 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other on opinions...

But I love my 3B : )

Update,
The "cherry" 77 with the 2f that I was told about has rust both above and below. Though hidden from the casual observer by caulking and paint, a not too close inspection of thr interior near the roof line reveals rust all along the roof line and the tops of the doors. Also the under body was sprayed with some sort of rubber like material as an undercoat AFTER it was rusting. The tub and the floor have through and through rust holes in several places. The drive train is leaking transmission fluid and all four leaf springs are rusted throughout. If ever one needed a reminder, there is no substitute for a hands on, crawling around inspection.

As to 75-80 mph highway speeds, I neglected to mention here that I plan, with a lot of help from folks on other threads, to have the engine rebuilt and install both fuel injection and turbo charger.

GO FORTHE BJ40 series Landcruiser

Hello guys. I just wanted to say that I think the BJ40 series Landcruisers are the better of the two. I imported a 1980 JDM BJ44 Landcruiser a while back from these guys in Tokyo, called Japan Auto Direct, www.japanautodirect.com. The got me a beautiful vehicle, and for those of you who would rather have an FJ55 Cruiser, they could probably find you a sweet right-hand drive one, that would be cool as hell to have!! There's my two cents....

Thanks,

Jeff:beer::beer:
RIMG0002.JPG

Jabxyz,
Loves my 81 BJ40.
Lots of confidence offroad and RIVER crossing ( any diesel engine for that matter)....

regards,
HelimanBD

As to 75-80 mph highway speeds, I neglected to mention here that I plan, with a lot of help from folks on other threads, to have the engine rebuilt and install both fuel injection and turbo charger.[/quote]

it is most likely criminal for a 40 to break 80 mph, ever in montana.
it has less to do with rpm's and turbos and more to do with safety and common sense.
it has the wheel base of a motorcycle, drag coefficient of a bread box and 30 year old breaks...

As to 75-80 mph highway speeds, I neglected to mention here that I plan, with a lot of help from folks on other threads, to have the engine rebuilt and install both fuel injection and turbo charger.

it is most likely criminal for a 40 to break 80 mph, ever in montana.
it has less to do with rpm's and turbos and more to do with safety and common sense.
it has the wheel base of a motorcycle, drag coefficient of a bread box and 30 year old breaks...[/quote]

As to legality and safety, when the restoration is done this car will be driven all over North, Central and South America in a manner consistent not only with the legal speed limits but with the actual flow of traffic wherever I am. While I can't argue with you about the BJ's wheelbase and drag coefficient, trust me when I'm done they won't be 30 yo brakes. In fact when I'm done the only thing that will 30 yo in that vehicle will be the frame, the body and the engine block. Almost everything else will be replaced new (if the Toyota parts exist then factory and if not, best quality substitute). At the end of the day this discussion is about getting the most out of what has proven to be an incredibly versatile, tough, durable vehicle at both the low and the high end. If at the end of the day, after the vehicle has been turbo charged, fuel injected, tuned and calibrated to the nth degree and we test it and the car reaches its limits at 62mph, so be it. We will have established the limit, not because it "should" be the limit but because that "will" be the limit. Just like at the low end the vehicle was originally designed to go up a 46 degree grade. If I decide to try and better that we will find out either that 46 degrees "are" the limit or they "aren't."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom