Birfield broken with no spare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With Wolfpack's broken Newfield that make me wounder what happens when you brake a birfield with no spare:
Can you still drive?
If not, is there a plug you can install in the axle to keep your gear oil from running out?
I should of kept my old birfields as spares :'(
kurt

Kurt,
I now wheel with both a long side and short side axle shaft already mated with the birf to just drop in. Store them in some pvc with end caps :D

Mem Day weekend I broke mine and had no spare. I had to ease my way off the trail (read after some many hours winching and strapping). Once in the field (where we had plenty of lights, tools, other folks), took out the old one, got out all the metal bits, balled up part of a tshirt with duct tape and stuffed it in. Then put everything, except for axle shaft and birf, back in and drove home in 2 wheel drive (with center diff lock button pressed). Got to love that center diff button :D - would have stunk to drive home 200 miles in 4lo :eek:

Next to the cupholders, I think the birfs will become the hottest 80 part in the very near future. ;)

I sent the old birfields in for the $75 cor charge. I thought it was a good deal as they were very very worn 8) Now I got the short end of the stick :'(
kurt

That's exactly what I had to do w/ my Newfield until CV Unlimited gets my replacement here... I used a rag w/ some duct tape and just stuck the dust cap back on. I ordered another pair of (stock) Birfs from Toyota yestereday. $618 is dealer list, my cost is $395. Not great, but I dont' see many other alternatives. I may send them our to be " Smurfed ". I'll second you on that center diff lock switch Junk! If you wheel, you need one of those, and some spare Birfs! (And a 100% duty cycle air compressor... that makes life SO much easier!)

Dropping the front drive shaft will not stop spinning the broken birfields as the 80 doesn't have lockouts, unless you install them. Removing it and plugging the axle tube will still give you 3 wheel drive, if you have front lockers.

I take it when one brakes, you shouldn't drive it without removing it.
On older LC with lockouts, can they be driven with broken birfield as long as it is in 2WD and unlocked hubs?

kurt

Right, I was assuming that you'd pull the broken birfield and axle out in any case, just curious what the lesser of two evils is... using the good side as a drive wheel (with lockers engaged) or not using the good side and letting its axle spin just the center diff around, (without the driveshaft). Having a backup birfield is obviously better.

not sure about the lockouts.. -tim

If you never removed the driveshaft before (at least on mine) you would have a hard time removing the flange bolts. I had to go to Sears and get a new impact to remove the nuts and bolts. THere was so much metal flying from the bolts I had to replace them all. There would of been no way you could of removed them in the field.
kurt

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=4123;start=0#msg30516 date=1060122083]
Dropping the front drive shaft will not stop spinning the broken birfields as the 80 doesn't have lockouts, unless you install them. Removing it and plugging the axle tube will still give you 3 wheel drive, if you have front lockers.

I take it when one brakes, you shouldn't drive it without removing it.
On older LC with lockouts, can they be driven with broken birfield as long as it is in 2WD and unlocked hubs?

kurt[/quote]

On the older part-time cruisers it depends on how bad the birfield is busted - sometimes you can't move or even turn, even if you unlock the front hub.

Remove broken birfield parts, birfield, and inner axle.
Clean out the knuckle & use a rag to keep pieces migrating to diff.
If you have a real long way to go - add extra diff oil, since the rag will soak up some of the gear oil.
Install the drive plate.
Engage the front locker & drive out in 3-wheel drive.
Either continue on trail in 3-wheel drive or remove front drive shaft and drive in 2wheel lo / hi (center diff switch).
Drive home from the trail in 2 wheel hi.

Joe

Wouldn't a big rubber plug or cap be better than getting grease all over my Polo shirt? :D
kurt

Being that the shirt will have to stay in axle, I am better off getting a plug. I would look strange showing up at the Country Club with only a Dicky on :D
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom