birf rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ordered my parts today from cruiserdan.25%off for forum members ,no tax and free shipping!! thanks dan!found a toyota dealer in sedalia,mo. who will do the job for 9 hrs labor at $56 an hour.since i cant do it myself i think that is a good price. :beer:

hi

thanks for the offer but the gas would cost me more than the dealers labor!!!and gas is going to get even higher.i got a corrola that gets 35 mpg but i love this cruiser so i hardly drive that car any more.must be hooked on cruisers. :doh:

tevogel said:
25%off for forum members

What!!! he only gives me 10% :crybaby: I'll have to talk with him about that. :D

What can't you do it yourself?

tevogel said:
ordered my parts today from cruiserdan.25%off for forum members ,no tax and free shipping!! thanks dan!found a toyota dealer in sedalia,mo. who will do the job for 9 hrs labor at $56 an hour.since i cant do it myself i think that is a good price. :beer:

You are welcome to come to Akron, OH and we can do it together. We are going to have a birf party one of these upcoming weekends...gas from there and back will probably be cheaper (just by a bit) than giving the damn dealer cash....and you will do it right and have the knowledge to do it next time yourself.

You are welcome to crash at my place--free food, drink, shower, etc.

Seriously--think about it.

best.
-onur
Akron, OH

hi

you guys are simply the greatest people.that offer is greatly appreciated but i just had rotator cuff suegery on my right shoulder,i am right handed.i cannot use it at all for several months,so i wouldnt be much help doing it. i would be happy to pay you to do it if you were interested.you dont think dealer will do it right? :bounce2:

tevogel said:
you guys are simply the greatest people.that offer is greatly appreciated but i just had rotator cuff suegery on my right shoulder,i am right handed.i cannot use it at all for several months,so i wouldnt be much help doing it. i would be happy to pay you to do it if you were interested.you dont think dealer will do it right? :bounce2:

You can hand us the tools we need, the grease, etc. We'll let you do the easy stuff. Actually, the entire job is pretty easy....just time consuming and dirty.

There have been a number of horror stories about dealers fawking up the birf job and really making something that should be routine PM into something big and of course COSTLY!!!! (both time and money and your hassle).

Do a search on the forums and you'll find a number of people who have had bad luck with others doing the birf job on their rigs.

As the saying goes, the LC is a rig that one should really work on themselves--or with friends and beer.

Just get to Akron, and we'll talk about a fee... ;) :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

Best.
-onur

beno said:
You can hand us the tools we need, the grease, etc. We'll let you do the easy stuff. Actually, the entire job is pretty easy....just time consuming and dirty.

There have been a number of horror stories about dealers fawking up the birf job and really making something that should be routine PM into something big and of course COSTLY!!!! (both time and money and your hassle).

Do a search on the forums and you'll find a number of people who have had bad luck with others doing the birf job on their rigs.

As the saying goes, the LC is a rig that one should really work on themselves--or with friends and beer.

Just get to Akron, and we'll talk about a fee... ;) :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

Best.
-onur

There you go, that sounds like a good deal.

damn

we need a Birf party in Colorado! I just bought my 96 a week or 2 ago, and I am stoked about learning to do everything to it myself. Anyone in CO planning a birf job soon???

Timm

'96 blown 80

timmbuck2 said:
we need a Birf party in Colorado! I just bought my 96 a week or 2 ago, and I am stoked about learning to do everything to it myself. Anyone in CO planning a birf job soon???

Timm

'96 blown 80

Timm--

You should get in touch with the Rising Sun guys and see if anyone is planning on doing one up.

Or, maybe stop by Christo's and see if they know some folks who might be getting together to party with birfs...

Or, if you got cash flow, drive across the country to Akron and party with us... :cool:

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

hi

yea!! i am good at handing beers out,no problem!!are you really serious?if so when you want me to come?it is schelduled for dealer on october5th so i would need to cancell that appointment.let me know if you are really serious,thanks fron the one armed bandit

tevogel said:
yea!! i am good at handing beers out,no problem!!are you really serious?if so when you want me to come?it is schelduled for dealer on october5th so i would need to cancell that appointment.let me know if you are really serious,thanks fron the one armed bandit

Cancel that dealer appt. and PM me with good weekends for you to come up to Akron, OH.

Yes, I am serious. I am always serious about wrenching and especially the Birfs.... :grinpimp:

All you need to do is get your truck up to my house...and some brews too!

Drop me a line.
-onur

Just finished mine and it took longer than I thought it would. I was flying solo and spent more time planning, cleaning, researching, cleaning, organizing, cleaning, etc. Hell....took me a day to buy freaking grease! Next time it's a breeze. All thing's get easier as you go. Waiting on my caliper rebuild parts and I am good to go.

CDan is the man!

Get the tools you need. Should have bought a seal puller and race/seal install tool. It's on the list of things to have. Oh.....yeah! A brass hammer and fork/wedge to pull tierod ends.

80me said:
Just finished mine and it took longer than I thought it would. I was flying solo and spent more time planning, cleaning, researching, cleaning, organizing, cleaning, etc. Hell....took me a day to buy freaking grease! Next time it's a breeze. All thing's get easier as you go. Waiting on my caliper rebuild parts and I am good to go.

CDan is the man!

Get the tools you need. Should have bought a seal puller and race/seal install tool. It's on the list of things to have. Oh.....yeah! A brass hammer and fork/wedge to pull tierod ends.

You pulled your TRE's for the birf job?

I don't recall doing that at all...were you replacing the TRE's at the same time?

The 1-person birf job is tough, but a very good learning experience. I did mine alone and it was definitely a two day job--with a quality day for cleaning parts.

-onur

tevogel said:
how long does it take?i day or 2?what you got going next weekend?

We can bust it out, if we have a few hands, in one full, long day. (8am-8pm or so). That would include a good cleansing of parts, repainting some parts, and doing a very specific job reassembling. I tend to be methodical and a bit on the slow side. But the upside of that is that I know the work I've done is done well and correctly.

The weekend of Oct. 8-9th? That might work. I am unfortunatly away from OH and am in Boston. I will let you know when I get back to OH on Monday, Oct. 3rd. I'd have to check with the :princess: first... ;)

Cool?
-onur

Hey LX_TREME I would be down to help out! I'm in the SF valley woodland hills area. I would be up to hang out and help. I'm do soon too for my wheel baerings and birfield job. Just need a few more $$ saved up for parts.

beno said:
You pulled your TRE's for the birf job?

I don't recall doing that at all...were you replacing the TRE's at the same time?

The 1-person birf job is tough, but a very good learning experience. I did mine alone and it was definitely a two day job--with a quality day for cleaning parts.

-onur

Didn't replace the TRE's but how can you measure knuckle preload with pulling them? It was in the book man..........I did what the book said. :rolleyes:

I replaced knuckle bearings and all. 2 full days for sure flying solo.

Everything is nice and clean too.

Beno...whos on the bass? Chris Squire? Almost looks like Bella Fleck but banjo is his ax.

80me said:
Didn't replace the TRE's but how can you measure knuckle preload with pulling them? It was in the book man..........I did what the book said. :rolleyes:

I replaced knuckle bearings and all. 2 full days for sure flying solo.

Everything is nice and clean too.

Beno...whos on the bass? Chris Squire? Almost looks like Bella Fleck but banjo is his ax.

Ok...yeah, I forgot that the FSM states that you pop off TR...

Phil Lesh on the 6 string graphite Modulus... :grinpimp:

beno said:
Phil Lesh on the 6 string graphite Modulus... :grinpimp:

Ah.....Gotcha..........Hippy music...... :cheers: :beer: :censor: ;)

Nice!

Ever play a Ken Smith? Heard they are wonderful. Made in my wives home town in PA, an hour away from me. I assume you play. CFMartins are made an hour from also.

Have Lesh playing in the backround as I type this (web site). :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom