Birf carnage! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So does this look bad lol? Anyhow, can this be fixed or should I start looking for another axle? Don't ask
Me how this happened just tell
Me if this can be salvaged or not. Theres also a ring inside the axle tube that became dislodged. Hopefully you can see this in the picture.
image-1953661238.jpg
image-2754406438.jpg
image-1949978040.jpg

Last edited:
How'd that happen? :flipoff2:

No, seriously...

Bummer, sad to see an 80 on a flat bed.

You will have to remove the 3rd member to relocate the metal shield (what you called a ring). Sadly it is ridiculously easy to do after the 3rd is out.

It looks like a quick grind with a dremel tool will clean up the housing around the seal area. You might want to put some rtv around the outside of the seal if there are groves left in the housing. The same goes for the trunnion bearing area (minus any rtv).

I've also seen how the metal shield can be repositioned from the birf side of the axle tube.
This happened to Semlin (ring became dislodged) and he invented a tool to slide into the ring and then pulled into position and used to pull the ring back onto to the axle tube.

hard to describe the tool exactly but it's been done before. i think it lasted a few years anyway.

It looks like a quick grind with a dremel tool will clean up the housing around the seal area. You might want to put some rtv around the outside of the seal if there are groves left in the housing. The same goes for the trunnion bearing area (minus any rtv).

X2, cleanup any burrs, seal it up, install a new birf, good to go. That housing is cherry, I have used them much more torn up than that!:hillbilly:

Thanks Slee, I'll be calling you today for sure.

ouch.

i was just out there on Sunday too. Didn't do anything to crazy though.

What did you try to conquer? The big pipe/tire thingamabob?

Jon

Let me guess....

You had the front diff locked, wheels fully turned, you put it in reverse and pressed down hard on the skinny pedal?

:hillbilly:

Been there done that. My axle housing had the same gouges. Knocked them down with a dremel and all is well. Why the flat bed? Why not remove the front shaft, remove the drive flanges and drive it home? I drove mine 150+ miles home like that and then for another month around town waiting on a replacement birf.

You did not need the flat bed. You could of easily drove it home.

That would require some need, poor broke wheelers fix there loused up busted crap when the can and drive them broken wounded and limp in mode like yourself,

Others, no need, no problem calling a Tow rig, take it to a shop and pay some one to do the dirty work,

And go wheeling the next week and bitch about how much it cost,

:cheers:

Not saying that Sanchez is one of these but, hey Towed for a broken axle,
There is some concern of the steering locking up among the Web wheelers, may be so,

but no need, no risk, playing it safe, and more money than I got,

My steering did lock up due to broken birf pieces. No big deal. Popped off the hub/spindle, pulled out the pieces, put it back together and drove it home. Took maybe 30-45mins total.

Im too poor for a wrecker bill and figure if Im gonna wheel it/break it, I better be able to fix it.

That would require some need, poor broke wheelers fix there loused up busted crap when the can and drive them broken wounded and limp in mode like yourself,

Others, no need, no problem calling a Tow rig, take it to a shop and pay some one to do the dirty work,

And go wheeling the next week and bitch about how much it cost,

:cheers:

Not saying that Sanchez is one of these but, hey Towed for a broken axle,
There is some concern of the steering locking up among the Web wheelers, may be so,

but no need, no risk, playing it safe, and more money than I got,

Huh? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom