Bilstein failure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Failure after ~35k miles? Rear shock separated from bushing and slid off lower mount. Happened on both sides, about a month apart. Considered a wear item by bilstein, not covered under warranty

Daily driver, no off roading or lift. Original shocks were on there close to 200k. They were bad at that point but they didn’t detach from the vehicle! 🤨

927694B2-CBF6-4BD2-A4B8-9E236DADA43B.jpeg

Interesting. I recently had a front B6 4600 leak oil after ~15,000 miles on my LC. Similar use case. Yanked them all off and used it as an excuse to move on to another brand. Definitely not what I expected.

I'd guess you could replace the bushing and put it back on for fairly cheaply. Curious, if the rear shock eyes are larger than stock, but you reuse the stock washer and nut, should there actually be a larger washer to prevent this from happening?

Interesting. I recently had a front B6 4600 leak oil after ~15,000 miles on my LC. Similar use case. Yanked them all off and used it as an excuse to move on to another brand. Definitely not what I expected.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check the front ones for leakage, as I have bilsteins there too. I am definitely moving on, may just go OEM.

I see this every so often on other car forums…unless i am lifting, stick with OEM. OEM shocks at least what you see on this forum are very durable and high quality.

I'd guess you could replace the bushing and put it back on for fairly cheaply. Curious, if the rear shock eyes are larger than stock, but you reuse the stock washer and nut, should there actually be a larger washer to prevent this from happening?
I've soured on Bilstiens, not into doing any repairs. You would think that a larger washer would be standard to prevent it, but I don't think that's standard. Here is a screen grab from a tough doug install, where he's taking off the stock rear shock, looks like it could easily slide off. Bilsteins I bought are oem replacement size. Cold as hell here so too lazy to go outside and look at my truck!

IMG_8662.PNG

I've soured on Bilstiens, not into doing any repairs. You would think that a larger washer would be standard to prevent it, but I don't think that's standard. Here is a screen grab from a tough doug install, where he's taking off the stock rear shock, looks like it could easily slide off. Bilsteins I bought are oem replacement size. Cold as hell here so too lazy to go outside and look at my truck!

View attachment 3236906
You do you, but there's nothing wrong with those shocks, other than worn out bushings. I assume the bushing and the nut and bolt were still attached to the axle? If not, the nut came loose first and I'd peg it as an installer issue, not a shock issue.

You do you, but there's nothing wrong with those shocks, other than worn out bushings. I assume the bushing and the nut and bolt were still attached to the axle? If not, the nut came loose first and I'd peg it as an installer issue, not a shock issue.
Yes, bushing, nut, and bolt still on the vehicle. Meant no disrespect on my repair comments, just don't have time at moment to fix. I appreciate your advice on that. I probably will repair them when I have time and sell them. I did buy two new shocks when the first one failed. My mechanic was super busy and squeezed me in for replacing that one only, so I have a new unboxed one and the new one on the vehicle.

That's disappointing! I expect OEM levels of quality from Bilstein.

Looks like the bushing shell is still in there shock? So the bonded bushing to the steal shell is where it failed? Not as likely wear, as even there, it would have failed in the bushing itself, not the bonded interface. If there is rubber on both sides, I can see a case for wear or improper install. Bushings should be tightened with the suspension loaded. Problem is that mechanics often get lazy and just torque while the vehicle is still in the air. This pre-loads bushing at ride height causing premature failure.

I've never had a Bilstein failure, across multiple cars/trucks and 30 years of using them. Sucks that it happened but a new set of bushings and a washer would get you back up and going asap

I thought Bilstein uses OEM bushings in their product offerings?

That's disappointing! I expect OEM levels of quality from Bilstein.

Looks like the bushing shell is still in there shock? So the bonded bushing to the steal shell is where it failed? Not as likely wear, as even there, it would have failed in the bushing itself, not the bonded interface. If there is rubber on both sides, I can see a case for wear or improper install. Bushings should be tightened with the suspension loaded. Problem is that mechanics often get lazy and just torque while the vehicle is still in the air. This pre-loads bushing at ride height causing premature failure.
Yes, bond between bushing and steel shell is where both failed, bushing remained on the vehicle. I'll talk to my guy who did the install, see if he was lazy or not. Since both failed within a month of each other maybe he did torque them in the air? I'll keep the thread posted on what I find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom