Bilstein 6112/5160 Installed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you tell us the full setup? If Bilstein in front and/or rear, what perch number(s)?

What airbag brand?
Interested in this as well. Looking into adding airbags next week to help out when truck vault is loaded up and with towing a polaris to Colorado in a couple weeks....

Interested in this as well. Looking into adding airbags next week to help out when truck vault is loaded up and with towing a polaris to Colorado in a couple weeks....

Hello everyone. Like some of you, I'm still waiting for the Bilstein suspension I ordered in April. The price is great and I really like the option to set the lift however I want to for both front and back. With more highway trips planned, I prefer to have the new suspension sooner.

I cancelled my Bilstein order today with AJ USA. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

I checked with Ironman today and they are having a sale. The foam-cells pre-built coilovers 1" lift for front and rear is $1,536. Free shipping to lower 48.

Also looking at Tough Dog. Their foam adjustables are very appealing.

Last edited:
I share your situation and impatience. Have also been waiting (since May, now expected in November) but will continue to because...well, Bilstein! (Am also waiting for a rack from ARB since May, with no date in sight.)

I got an email from AJ-USA saying that my order is now back-ordered until January. My order was placed on May 14th

"Hello,

Unfortunately we have received an ETA change from Bilstein. They have
now pushed the front kit out till January at the moment. If you are
unable to wait just let me know!

Have a great weekend"

--
Katherine Moore
E-Commerce Department Manager
AJ-USA, Inc.

First post here!

I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick up this kit without the rear springs for my 21 HE 3rd Row, whenever it comes in stock. That being said, has anyone tried the Heavy rear springs now available from Bilstein? They say 1.5” lift but I think I read somewhere that is with a load, am I correct? With the constant 3rd row in the truck, 2 kids in the 3rd row, and light gear in the back would that warrant Heavy springs or should I get Dual Rate springs from somewhere. I don’t ever want the back end to sag lower than the front on the 4th perch. I also often do roads trips with a loaded Pakmule on the back as well.

If y’all recommend do recommend a Dual Rate Spring, which one should I go with?

Thanks y’all,

Dane

First post here!

I’m pretty sure I’m going to pick up this kit without the rear springs for my 21 HE 3rd Row, whenever it comes in stock. That being said, has anyone tried the Heavy rear springs now available from Bilstein? They say 1.5” lift but I think I read somewhere that is with a load, am I correct? With the constant 3rd row in the truck, 2 kids in the 3rd row, and light gear in the back would that warrant Heavy springs or should I get Dual Rate springs from somewhere. I don’t ever want the back end to sag lower than the front on the 4th perch. I also often do roads trips with a loaded Pakmule on the back as well.

If y’all recommend do recommend a Dual Rate Spring, which one should I go with?

Thanks y’all,

Dane
I don’t think Bilstein uses the OME philosophy of listing loaded lift height because many with the standard bilstein rate lift rear spring report them settling a lot under load. As for heavy load springs, these are usually reserved for folks with drawers, custom bumpers etc…
I’ve got OME 2721 and the are excellent for stock load

Recently installed an Ironman front bumper on my 200. Had to bump up to the 2nd perch on the front. It sits, now, as it did on the lowest perch with no front bumper. I'll try to get a good pic this weekend.

I don’t think Bilstein uses the OME philosophy of listing loaded lift height because many with the standard bilstein rate lift rear spring report them settling a lot under load. As for heavy load springs, these are usually reserved for folks with drawers, custom bumpers etc…
I’ve got OME 2721 and the are excellent for stock load

From what I understand the OME Springs will only give me a max lift in the rear of .75”. Should I be looking at Dobinson or Icon dual rate springs to give me the near 2” I’m looking for.

From what I understand the OME Springs will only give me a max lift in the rear of .75”. Should I be looking at Dobinson or Icon dual rate springs to give me the near 2” I’m looking for.
2721 gave me 1.75"-2"
Heritage has a higher baseline so any spring you get will be slightly less than claimed by a non-heritage... You may not even need rear springs depending on how much you plan to lift the front...
For reference my rear (2016 w 3rd row) is at 22.5" stock was 20.5" after Bilstein with stock springs it went to 21" I assume the old shocks were sagging? Then with 2721 it went to 22.5"

2721 gave me 1.75"-2"
Heritage has a higher baseline so any spring you get will be slightly less than claimed by a non-heritage... You may not even need rear springs depending on how much you plan to lift the front...
For reference my rear (2016 w 3rd row) is at 22.5" stock was 20.5" after Bilstein with stock springs it went to 21" I assume the old shocks were sagging? Then with 2721 it went to 22.5"

Thank you for the info! I’m sitting at 21” in the rear right now with the 3rd row in. So I think I’m going to pick a dual rate spring and install the rear suspension before I decide on a front perch.

Other than OME, Icon and Dobinson who else makes a dual rate spring?

Thank you for the info! I’m sitting at 21” in the rear right now with the 3rd row in. So I think I’m going to pick a dual rate spring and install the rear suspension before I decide on a front perch.

That's the right move, I set the front before putting in the springs and had to go back and perch up the front from 3rd to 4th

For anyone looking, I have a very slightly used 6112/5160 setup for sale, listed in the classifieds.

They were on for a little over 1k miles, the ride was just a little firmer than I preferred. If I ran more weight in the rear I think they would have been perfect.

I tested a number of variations along the way. Hopefully this info will help someone! All measurements are as precise as I could get from center of hub to fender lip. I do have a truck vault in the rear, which is maybe an additional 200 lbs total.

Started with OEM
19.75" Front
21.75" Rear

Added OEM front spacers
20.5" Front
21.75" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 4th clip in front with Icon 1.75" Progressive rate rear springs
21.75" Front
22.5" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 4th clip in front with Icon 1.75" Bilstein rear springs
21.75" Front
22" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 2nd clip in front with factory HE rear springs
21" Front
21.75" Rear

From there I went on to BP51's and am currently running Fox 2.5 DSC's up front and the 2.0 IFP rears until the DSC's ship.

I dread the reverse rake or any squat look in the rear when I'm loaded up so I went with Icon springs and air bags. Great combo in my opinion.

For anyone looking, I have a very slightly used 6112/5160 setup for sale, listed in the classifieds.

They were on for a little over 1k miles, the ride was just a little firmer than I preferred. If I ran more weight in the rear I think they would have been perfect.

I tested a number of variations along the way. Hopefully this info will help someone! All measurements are as precise as I could get from center of hub to fender lip. I do have a truck vault in the rear, which is maybe an additional 200 lbs total.

Started with OEM
19.75" Front
21.75" Rear

Added OEM front spacers
20.5" Front
21.75" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 4th clip in front with Icon 1.75" Progressive rate rear springs
21.75" Front
22.5" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 4th clip in front with Icon 1.75" Bilstein rear springs
21.75" Front
22" Rear

Bilstein Combo on the 2nd clip in front with factory HE rear springs
21" Front
21.75" Rear

From there I went on to BP51's and am currently running Fox 2.5 DSC's up front and the 2.0 IFP rears until the DSC's ship.
Interesting experience... Can you share your feedback on road comfort on your new setup?

Interesting experience... Can you share your feedback on road comfort on your new setup?
You bet, I hate to muddy up the thread with non Bilstein info so I'll try to be brief.

The lift from the Bilstein and the BP51's was exactly what I was looking for but my biggest complaint with both was their ride in town, they were both harsher than I would have expected from "upgraded" suspension. The Bilstein felt the best out of the two on the highway, I never could get the BP51's adjusted to my liking, they always felt un balanced where the Bilstein felt more planted.

I've only had the Fox on for a few days but so far I'm extremely pleased with the DSC's, they seem to be the closest thing to factory smooth out of the three. Plush is the best way I can describe them, they're much firmer than factory without feeling harsh, the nose dive and body roll is eliminated but still super smooth and float over the big stuff. Really looking forward to the DSC's for the rear. The ability to adjust high & low speed compression with no tools or having to crawl underneath was a huge bonus as well.

I'll update tomorrow with measurements.

Wanted to see if anyone else still has their order active with AJUSA for their Bilstein, we're officially in March and I still haven't gotten my order and NO ETA

Wanted to see if anyone else still has their order active with AJUSA for their Bilstein, we're officially in March and I still haven't gotten my order and NO ETA
Yep, since 8/18/2021. Last update I received was end of February. Here we are, March 1....

I ordered mine Mar/Apr 2021. I was told my order was the final order of a bigger block they were about to order from Bilstein and should expect them by Jun. I cancelled the order last Aug/Sep. I'll be getting something else. Not sure what it will be, but it will be something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom