Builds Big Red Toy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was bored and decided to go visit big red and drop off some parts.

I have a brand new denso condenser and some electric fans to help with the heat. Looking at one large mechanical fan and three 11 inch electric ones. Two on the radiator and one on the condenser. Still waiting on the new injectors.
20210623_155406.jpg
20210623_155308.jpg

Then I saw this beauty for sale. They are asking 60k

20210623_154922.jpg
20210623_154945.jpg

Came home to find a bunch of boxes had finally arrived. Some are for the Tacoma the others are for the Porsche, I think I'm still only waiting on one more box. After ten years of ownership Big Red is finally getting heavy duty rubber mats.
20210630_215541.jpg
20210630_233020.jpg

And the new bigger injectors came in. So far they produce crazy power. But it still hasn't been driven on the highway to check how badly it smokes.
123_1.jpeg
123_1(1).jpeg

Last edited:
I was bored and decided since I finally got all my boxes in I'm going to mount the maxtrax and I'm going to do it in the 98* heat.

The wife's rig is turning out to be a not so bad back up rig.
20210701_163903.jpg
20210701_165100.jpg
20210701_171442.jpg
20210701_183135.jpg

Gonna order another fuel can. And I'm still waiting on the rear bumper to show up. There's been a Maxtrax shortage going on. I had forgotten when I even ordered them.

I guess it's time for an update. I've been mostly working on healing my foot and getting the Tacoma ready for a Colorado trip that's coming up in a few weeks. I ordered a dual battery setup for it and a hood solar panel. I'm waiting on the solar panel to arrive. I was also notified that I will be deploying to Afghanistan and have been preoccupied with getting ready for that. However, if you watch the news you'll see we lost the country pretty much overnight. So I'm waiting to find out if I'm still headed out to somewhere else or if they will cancel the orders

I picked up Big Red with the new injectors installed. I'm having mixed feelings about it. It feels more aggressive, but the boost only goes up to 55psi now if I floor it. Previously I was able to hit 60+ psi. I set up a trip to the Padre Island National Seashore and camped at mile marker 60. It was a fun trip and it reminded me why I love this rig so much. We had an fj cruiser towing a trailer, an fj80, fj 60, and an LX570 plus myself. The sand was super soft in some areas which caused some to get stuck, but luckily with teamwork, we were able to make it out alright. We got to the campsite and were able to set up at around midnight. Two of the automatic vehicles got overheating transmission codes, which solidified my belief that manuals are the way to go (unless your break your foot).

Enough talk, let's look at some pictures. They are in no particular order

Pins pose.png
beach camp.jpg
beachbd.jpeg
entrance.jpg
heaven.jpg
hooking up.jpg
night tow.jpg
pulling fjplus trailer.jpg
pulling out again.jpg
pulling out.jpg

and here's a video @TexFJ made. He used the same song that was playing while I was towing @meatloaf out.

It was a great time and I can't wait for the next trip with the group.

Only 55 psi? Estas loco.

I forgot to mention, I towed in 4 low 5th speed at some points. And was able to drive at 45mph in 4 high without any issues or vibration. I think I could have gone up to 60mph, but I was already breaking the speed limit. And unlike my automatic brethren, it did not stop due to overheating issues. Very impressed with the transfer case and transmission.

Cracked the return fuel line. Managed to get it to stop leaking with some zip ties until new the injector return line shows up.
There is also some wetness on injector 3 and 4.

20210816_160224.jpg

20210816_160305.jpg

Let me know when you guys are in town. I'm 20 mins from FOCO. I know @PabloCruise would be down to hang out as well.

and 55 psi! holy crap, I'm getting excited over the future of 20psi :rofl:
Thanks, I'm not sure what route I'm hitting since the Mrs is doing all the planning, but will definitely post up if I'm nearby. 55 psi is a downgrade from 60+ I was hitting.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm not sure what route I'm hitting since the Mrs is dying all the planning, but will definitely post up if I'm nearby. 55 psi is a downgrade from 60+ I was hitting.
What injectors did you have and which ones do you have now? Why not bump that boost level back up via the low boost fuel screw "smoke screw" -top of the pump, or probably better to do it at the "full power screw" on the back on the pump.

What injectors did you have and which ones do you have now? Why not bump that boost level back up via the low boost fuel screw "smoke screw" -top of the pump, or probably better to do it at the "full power screw" on the back on the pump.
Because the entire reason I changed injectors was to try and stop all that smoke when accelerating. I'm still messing with it until I find a happy spot.

Because the entire reason I changed injectors was to try and stop all that smoke when accelerating. I'm still messing with it until I find a happy spot.
Understood. Have you tried advancing the timing? Do you know if its set at stock or already advanced?

I have run stock injectors a long time ago. Mine are too big now. I run 5x.014 (like +90-100hp) and ran 5x.010 which is stock for a p-pump engine. 5x.012 is best for 90% of peoples setups. Wish I had those. Mine has surprisingly low smoke for being at 10,000ft.

Do you have a M&H timing spacer for the KSB? It advances the timing with rpm's. You must have a ton of fuel if it's smoking with that much boost.

Had to change a fuel line.

this is the temporary end result.
20210818_183215.jpg

Cummins charged $22 for this, so I'll be returning it.
20210818_164851.jpg

And here's nearly 200 bucks worth of crap. I'm gonna find Cummins' granddaughter and live rich.
20210818_160625.jpg

Understood. Have you tried advancing the timing? Do you know if its set at stock or already advanced?

I have run stock injectors a long time ago. Mine are too big now. I run 5x.014 (like +90-100hp) and ran 5x.010 which is stock for a p-pump engine. 5x.012 is best for 90% of peoples setups. Wish I had those. Mine has surprisingly low smoke for being at 10,000ft.

Do you have a M&H timing spacer for the KSB? It advances the timing with rpm's. You must have a ton of fuel if it's smoking with that much boost.
Timing is advanced I forget where it's set at now. I'll have to go back and check my notes. I don't have an M&H timing spacer, didn't know they work with the inline pump, but then again I never really looked into them.

Timing is advanced I forget where it's set at now. I'll have to go back and check my notes. I don't have an M&H timing spacer, didn't know they work with the inline pump, but then again I never really looked into them.
Oh, I guess I missed the part that you have a p-pump. I was making references to the VE pump. Yea, there is no way to advance the timing dynamically on the p-pump. Only static adjustment.

Rig is sick man!

Oh, I guess I missed the part that you have a p-pump. I was making references to the VE pump. Yea, there is no way to advance the timing dynamically on the p-pump. Only static adjustment.

Rig is sick man!
Thanks man. She's still nearly stock but I have plans for it 😀

I thought that blue fuel line block was 3D printed. Hmm. Need to find some diesel fuel rated filament for my 3D printer so I can sell you replacements for half of what Cummins wants. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom