BIG engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the industry standard for bigger badder engines in FJ-40's is the 350 smallblock, but i was wondering if it was possible to go bigger, i.e. a 383 stroker (isnt it just a bored and stroked 350?). I am currently planning out a FJ-40 project truck, and I want it to be the baddest thing on the trail. Thanks.
E :beer:

How about an 8.0L Turbo diesel? :D

fc2c012c.jpg

a bigger motor in a cruiser,isn't always a good thing.

my one buddy has a healthy 350(the sound is awesome, and it runs) in his 40.
he wheels it but does'nt beat it, however he has a steadly growing broken parts pile. all high power(not full throttle,just a strong motor) breakages,twisted drive shaft,pretzeled(sp) tie rod and of course a bunch of birfields,just off the top of my head.
but around town it's a real head turner,it looks as good as it sounds.

but i was wondering if it was possible to go bigger, i.e. a 383 stroker (isnt it just a bored and stroked 350?). I am currently planning out a FJ-40 project truck, and I want it to be the baddest thing on the trail.

Just because you have a high horsepower motor does not mean you are going to be a bad mofo. The trick is to have lots of torque down low with plenty of gearing... :slap:

A 383 would be a good choice but consider the drivetrain like Brian said, and yes a 383 is a 350 bored .060 over and a 400 cid crank, they even make kits to build one like in PAW.
http://www.pawinc.com/
I was seriously considering one in mine but upgrading the drivetrain would get expensive.

Within the last three or four years there have been several FJ40s in Four Wheeler magazine's Top Truck Challenge, I think both had Chevrolet 502's in them, but they also were using dana 60/70 axles. There's a 454 powered FJ45 in Toyota Trails that runs a toyota drivetrain(correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I am)that appears to get wheeled heavily. I you go with the 383 stroker, (as many have already suggested) plan on beefing up the stock drivetrian accordingly and then I'm sure you'd probably be OK as long as you don't have a lead foot.

hey how about keeping it in the family, put the toyota v8 in the 2uz mucho hp + family blood lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cousin once had a FJ-40 with a 454 and TH400, the rest was stock Landcruiser drivetrain. It actually held up reasonably well on the Fordyce trail, overheating being the only problem. I personally would rather see more pumped up 2Fs out there than V-8 conversions. My 76 had headers and a non-usa carb and would pull anyhill on the highway with no problem, not to mention easy wheeling at idle. Thats just my 2 cents. :G

A 383 would be a good choice but consider the drivetrain like Brian said, and yes a 383 is a 350 bored .060 over and a 400 cid crank, they even make kits to build one like in PAW.
http://www.pawinc.com/
I was seriously considering one in mine but upgrading the drivetrain would get expensive.
Close, but you don't have to over bore the cylinders.
A 383 is a 350 production block with a 400 production crank. The crank has some special machine work done, namely the main journals of the 400 are 2.65" and the 350's are 2.45" so they must be turned down .200" to make the STD. 350 main bearing size. Since the 400 is externaly balanced you will need a balancer and flywheel/flexplate for a 400 CID chevy motor.

http://www.chevymania.com/383.htm

An old buddy of mine had a 65 fj40 that had a wore out 327.
When he replaced it we installed a 383 with a Qjet. The only thing drivetrain related the he broke was a transfer case.
That was because we were jumping over a log in 2wd :dunno:
When he broke the transfer case he installed a Wardens billet case. That was around 1995. Then he put on tbi on that motor and ran that for the last 5 years. He never did break a birf or a pinion, and his Cruiser got wheeled alot on Rubicon, Fordyce, and a bunch of other Nor CA trails.

I think breakage has more to do with driving style :beer:

Go for the new GM 572 crate motor
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Sneak/Previews.html

If you want to be cool and different, think about a 500 Caddy motor. Gobs of torque. there's a few great web sites for building them.
http://500cid.com/

The worst thing about big blocks is big weight. If you're building a mud bogger or a sand dragger then you're good to go. One of the big advantages of the SBC over the stock 2F, along with parts availability and buildability, is that it weighs 300 lbs less.

For a rock crawler I'm thinking small, light and geared low

My 02,
the stock toy drive train is more than plenty strong enough for your sb and bb apps. Unless of course you drive like a complete ahole (ie dukes of hazzard and smokey and the bandit horse s***) in which case any half wit ahole can tear up the drive line....even with a honda qa 50 motor hooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom