BFGoodRich Mud-Terrain T/A KM VS. Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ ??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title says, which of those two tires would you choose for your 60 and why??

I´m gonna buy new tires and these two tires is what I´ve narrowed it down too but I can´t decide which is the better. I´m gonna go with 305X70-16 which converts to roughly 33X12-16. Help me out guys!

no experience with the Yokohama but I've run the BFGs. They have excellent road mannners but I didnt care for the BFGs on rocks and mud. Good "all around tire" but I'd rather spring for Goodyear MT/Rs or Toyo MTs for a better "all around tire."

I had the geolander on my 4x4 suburban and I really like them. I did not do any serious rock crawling but for on road use and off road I would probaly use them agian. I have also used the BFG (on 1 55 and 1 62) and it is also a great tire and looks better. It is also very noisy at highway speeds. I would check and see which one has better side walls and then weigh out the price.

What do you want to use the tire for? For a steetable wheeling tire im quite happy with my trxus MTs.

thanks for the answers guys! Now can someone tell me for how long a tire like this will last?? 20 000miles? 30 000miles? I realize it kinda depends on the driving style but I´m just looking for an average number here...

I just got my first sample of wheelin the new BFG MT's on my fresh ass SOA job, and I LOVED em!!!
I didnt slip an inch on the rocks, in the dirt they GRIPPED MAN!
Road mannners...Id say fair! Theyre pretty tough to balance apparntly, and I do have a vibe between 45 and 50!
I could give a rip about tire noise! All the rest of the gear in my rig bangin around, tire noise is the last thing I hear!
On trail performance though....I love em so far!

Chicago

geolanders have very weak sidewalls..

i was able to get right around 50K from two sets of 33x12.50s muds.
teh muds for some time were reguarded as one of, if not the best all terrain tires out.
right now i'm hooked on the skinny at's.

After reading what you guys had to say about these tires and reading some reviews on the net I´m gonna go with the BFGs, I think they will suit me fine.

Now for another question, I´m gonna do OME and the new tires and I wanna make sure it´s gonna fit in the garage after I´m done so if someone who has OME and 33" tires could measure ground-to-roof that would be awesome! Also specify if you have regular roof or high roof.

I know one fj40 that averages 80,000 mile on 33 x 10.5 mud terrains. I suspect less with a 60 series and even more if you aren't meticulous about everything like this guy. I have had mine for awhile, not really wheeled them yet but I don't mind the road manners. I have had the truck fully loaded (3 people, a weeks worth of gear, foord, cast iron, a months worth of booze, a canoe on top, and a weeks worth of wood and had no problems. I never have given a s*** about noise though. My exhaust sets off car alarms.

only thing I really notice is a slight bumpy feeling on pavement with full pressure at about 2mph or so.

I run 33x12.5 goodyear MTR's (not overly impressed with the tyre wear) the salesman said they would last 80,000km now they have been on for 10,000 and started to heel and toe. They are great in the mud (have a mate running BFG 33x12.5 and I think the MTR's are better) but I am dissapointed with the sidewall thickness and the fact that they are surposed to be "DURA WALL" kevlar lined and puncture resistant got two punctures the first time I went wheelin.

doesn't help you any but I thought I'd just say

the salesman said they would last 80,000km now they have been on for 10,000 and started to heel and toe.

man! that's what's happening to mine! i've been trying to figure out what the problem was called - thanks for the heads up. i wasn't as diligent as i should have been about rotating tires and both fronts developed this problem. creates a really noisy tire as the MT/Rs when new were actually pretty quiet.

i've got about 20K miles on the tires so far and the wack ones now have about 1/2 tread while the good ones have 3/4 tread.

i do a lot of highway driving to get to where we are going and think the MT/Rs look cool, but will opt for a BFGoodrich TA/KO with a less severe tire pattern when i buy new tires - debating the purchase before a trip to Baja later this month.

I have ran the bfg mt on a f-350 diesel just freeway driving and they are just fine. i have 75% tread left at 72k on them. A friend has the mtr's on his 1ton durmax and just cruises the streets also and they are pretty much bald at 32k. he also got a flat the first week he had them. a stick through the side wall. and goodyear says they are puncture resistant or something along those lines.

I have ran the bfg mt on a f-350 diesel just freeway driving and they are just fine. i have 75% tread left at 72k on them.

So you are going to get about 288 THOUSAND miles out of a single set of tires..

My god man, do you realize what you just posted??

have you looked @ the "cooper sst " line ........we run a set on a 83fj60 and like then on and offroad

man! that's what's happening to mine! i've been trying to figure out what the problem was called - thanks for the heads up. i wasn't as diligent as i should have been about rotating tires and both fronts developed this problem. .

I went back to our goodyear service center and the boss said that I would have to rotate the tyres every 5,000km............my responce:- well then in 20,000km would I have 4 stuffed tyres?? when they were fitted the wheel aligned as well, there where no offers to check the w/a again to be sure! They look kool but I won't be getting them again (should have got the pro comps that I origonaly wanted)

So you are going to get about 288 THOUSAND miles out of a single set of tires..

My god man, do you realize what you just posted??

When I was shopping around for tires a few months ago, I got chatting to a guy in Costco. He said he got around 300,000 kms (187,000 miles) out of his BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO tires on a Dodge Ram. Said he worked in construction too. It sounded a bit far-fetched, but even if I get half that on my 60, I'll be happy.

BTW, I love my BFG A/T KO's (30x9.5-15). They're the smallest size you can get in a floatation tire. They show virtually no wear and I took them through a tough winter already, but only a few thousand miles on them so far. I can't say much for the Mud Terrian tires, but the All Terrains have been great for me so far.

Just another opinion...I've used a lot of different tires on a lot of different 4wd rigs- GMC pick ups, Ford F-550, F-450 work trucks, and my trusty 62 "Louie". Big fan of any BFG tire, have used ATs and MTs. MTs tend to wear with too much highway. I use Toyos exclusively on my fire rig as they are the best 19.5 tire around. As candograge mentioned, Cooper SSTs are the bomb. Extremely agressive, tuff tire. Too tuff for my use. I'm running the STs on my 62 now and have never had an issue for the 3 years and low miles I've had them. Bang for the buck I'd go with the Cooper LTs (comparable to BFG ATs), great treadlife, GREAT on and off road manners, and they look cool too. Again just an opinion, I'm no tire expert... but I know a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom