BFG AT KO's (and  wheels) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let's see how many people I put to sleep with another tire/wheel thread.

I was under the impression that if I wanted these tires for a '96 I would have to choose from the /75 series - 265 or 285, or 295, or even 305's. But now I find that AT KO's are available in LT275/70/R16 and even 305/70/R16. Am I the last one to know this?

My black '96 needs black steel wheels. It and I think it would look mean. Has anyone tried the American Racing, Tech 1, or rock crawler steel wheels? Does anyone know of any others - especially without the blue and red pinstripes?
If I try to find used factory steel wheels, were they only used on LC's or other Toyota vehicles as well? (drum roll for CDan).

Or will I be forking out $130 X 5 to my local Toyota dealer (don't know if he has dogs to feed). Are the OE Toyota steel wheels really great or just overpriced?

Ed

Re: BFG AT KO's (and  wheels)

$.01 worth. Figure on forking out a little more loot or more work if you go with the Toyota rims. They do not come painted. Let me know if you find aftermarket rims in 16 inch with the Toyota bolt pattern. Four or five years ago when I bought stock steelies I could not find any.
Bill

Ed,

>> Am I the last one to know this? <<
Yes.

>> If I try to find used factory steel wheels, were they only used on LC's or other Toyota vehicles as well? <<

80 Series only. A very high percentage of all US 80 series came with alloys. I have seen 2 with steel wheels (other than C-Dan's) plus the picture of Rogue's friend's 80.  It is unlikely you will ever find any steel wheels for sale on eBay or in a bone yard.

>> Are the OE Toyota steel wheels really great or just overpriced? <<

They are the correct size ( 16x8 ) with the correct offset/backspacing (0" / 4.5") and the correct center bore (106mm) and the correct bolt pattern (6 on 5-1/2". )  They are not cheap but few things for your Cruiser are cheap... darn few.

-B-

My friend that Beo spoke of has a set of both. He bought the Cruiser used and the original owner had Mich. LTX on the Alloys, and a set of Scorpion A/Ts on the Steelies. They were free for my friend, but now he runs LTX on all I believe. :(

I have those black AR wheels on my trail-only jeep. I would not put them on my cruiser. They are very heavy and hard to balance. The build quality is low (what do you expect for $40?) so some will never balance - you can’t balance an egg. Perfect for a trail truck, they can be beat out with a mallet if bent, but for a daily driver look for something of better quality.
If you do get them, don’t worry about the red and blue stripe. A little acetone and they come right off without messing up the black paint.

The steel wheel was "standard equipment" Almost every single Cruiser sold in the US had alloys on them as "optional" It was really quite reasonable an add. IIRC is was less than 600 bucks to get 5 alloy wheels over steel. I guess that's why TMS got them all that way. So, as Beo said, forget the junk yard.

When I bought mine they came in the correct silver color. Since then there has been a part number change. I have not seen any under the new number. The old number was 42601-60360-03, the new one is 42601-60361. Usually the 2 didgit sufux denotes color. -03 in this case meaning silver. The later wheel may be black. :dunno:
The '60361 lists for $156.06 a piece. Not cheap, but, they are the "correct" size and offset(if that matters to anybody), they run true and they are HEAVY.(harder to hurt). They also balance up well. I have 305/70/16 Goodyears and one of my wheels has a total of 2 1/2 ounces on it.

Dunno, but when I got my steelies, I didn't prep them or even wipe them down. In fact, it was a windy (read lots of dust) and I just sprayed them with the only $1.97 can of black paint I had. :D Been great now for 2 years. :D

Dunno, but when I got my steelies, I didn't prep them or even wipe them down. ÊIn fact, it was a windy (read lots of dust) and I just sprayed them with the only $1.97 can of black paint I had. Ê:D ÊBeen great now for 2 years. :D
Poser!!! :p

Yeah, but I know someone will give me flack about the oil slick stain on the driveway. :flipoff2: That's what happens when the drain plug ends up in the inlet of catch pan and the phone rings from another cruiserhead....... oh well. :flipoff2:

JUNK..
You use a oil catch pan?? ???
I thought you just drained it directly into the sewer? ala cousin eddie stylee :G
That's legal in Jersey...right? :D

"s***ters Full"....
http://www.garnersclassics.com/pics/christ/s***te1.jpg

later

EDIT:  DON'T READ THIS POST!  IT'S TOO STUPID! SKIP DOWN A FEW POSTS....

Damn. I don't think I have ever seen those steel rims before...  I likey!!!  :eek: :eek:  What was the back spacing on them?  I want to run them on my 60.  And I didn't notice anybody saying where to get them....only the dealership?  Can you even get them?   :slap: me if it's already here somewhere and I missed it....

Helloooooo. Did you read the whole thread?  Ferg, what's a mother to do? :slap:

42601-60361  $156.06 a rattle.
16 x 8 inches, "0" degrees off-set 4.5 inches backspacing.

Dealer part...................... :ugh:

Opps, Wrong place at the wrong time. :dunno:

OK, I'm leaning towards the factory steels. Junk, your picture convinced me that black is the way to go. I think you should get credit for like maybe 5 posts for an on-topic photo.
I could look for a few more days to find less expensive that fit and maybe save $ or $$ but if the quality isn't there, it's a waste of money anyway.
I'm rethinking the tire size choice. I'm going to put the low lift OME springs on and get about 3/4" lift. The 305/70/16's are 1.7" taller than the 275/70/16 or .85" on the top half - just about the same as the lift. So I think I end up with the same top-of-tire to body clearance but with a 11.8" wide tire instead of an 11.0" tire. Am I thinking this through correctly or is it too late at night to be thinking at all?
Talk me into it or out of it to your hearts' content...

Thanks,
Ed

Here they are in the original silver

Ed,
You can easily run 33" tyres with no lift; no rubbing.  Stock springs and stock shocks.  The spare will also fit in the stock location. Much larger than 33" and it won't fit; a 35" tyre doesn't fit from what I've heard... haven't tested that yet.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom