BFG AT alternatives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BFG All Terrains seem to be a very popular tire.
I've heard a lot of praise for their performance, looks and durability, and I've also read the opposite on this forum.

I'm wondering, what alternatives do any of you folks recommend?
Specifically, a quality tire for a Cruiser that is primarily a daily driver, but is also driven regularly in snow, and mild to moderate off road conditions.

Anyone?

Hayes

I run the BFG's but have heard the Geolanders are a pretty good tire. Get 2-3 tire options and spend the night googling for reviews and such.

Nitto Terra Graplers is another option (similiar to Toyo Open Country AT's).

2nd the Revos.....I bought BFGs for a long time, IMO on wet roads they are not so great. BUt they last forever and are fairly tough.

A friend of mine just got some Bridgestone Duelers (not Revo) and they look more aggressive than Revos. They are quiet and he liked them alot. Just from appearance, the sidewall looks a little like a AT version of the MTR.

A while back, on my old Jeep, I out some Dunlop RV's. They were great on and off-road and where pretty quiet on the street. They had a good looking aggressive tread. I have not heard of anyone else talking about them. But they are reasonably priced, and I really liked them.
Also on my old jeep, I had a problem with road-walk with bigger tires, and the Dunlop's fixed the problem.
Just my .02.
Kent

FirstToy said:
A friend of mine just got some Bridgestone Duelers (not Revo) and they look more aggressive than Revos. They are quiet and he liked them alot. Just from appearance, the sidewall looks a little like a AT version of the MTR.

If they are the 285/75 version, they are standard on the "off-road" pakaged H3's. Yes they are pretty aggressive looking for an AT tire.
My list:
1. None Revo Duelers
2. Nitto Terra
3. Goodyear AT/S

I also like my Nitto Terra Grapplers...Cheap and have performed well.

I cant say that I have done any heavy off-road work with them yet ..... but in snow and rain, my Revo's have been excellent! They are quiet as well.

I like the looks of the Duellers that come on the new H3's ... but from my experience, the tires that come OEM on cars usually wear fast, even the name brand ones. To this point, I havent seen Bridgestone selling that same tire in showrooms and have seen some H3's with heavily wore Duellers (the H3 hasnt been out all that long). Who knows?? I would try them out though if I could find some cheap "take-offs" from someone who went with some bling rims etc.

I have both Revo and Yoko Geolander At ll plus. For offroad, Geolander win hands on, very sticky tire. For rain, I think Revo is better. For value and performance, Geolander win!!

Nothing but good things to say about Nitto Terra Grapplers, very happy with them.

I'll second, no wait forth this! I just put them on my rig and really like them a lot! $670 out the door for four 285/75s with the certs. from Discount Tire.. I don't think you can beat that with a stick! I have the TA KOs on my FJ and I like the Terra Grapplers more.. Even if they were the same price I'd go with the Terra Grapplers and it turns out they're much less...

BFG ATs freeze up and lose their traction in deep snow when you start adding a bit of iciness. And they aren't very good in the kind of hardpack we get out West (champagne powder packed into 2" of snow/ice). The lateral traction, as is typical for AT's, is horrible.

Lateral traction is one of the most important and often overlooked areas of tire performance. An interlocking tread like the BFG AT provides poor lateral traction, and I notice it every time I go out in the snow. Take a look at a tire like the Interco TRXUS MT and you'll see the outer lugs are all about forward motion (and stopping) and the center lugs are about lateral grip with siping and a tighter AT type tread spacing for good bite on a harder surface. This is an excellent snow tire.

What the AT crowd often doesn't know (because they've never taken the leap) is that there is a new breed of tires like the MTR and TRXUS that do the road duty very well plus handle the more extreme conditions. These are your true all terrain tires. Yes, they wear faster, but they also start with more tread depth and you'll never get all that much wear out of any tire if you want to keep offroad performance high. Got more mud and snow? Go TRXUS. Drier and more rock? MTR. Leave anything with the name "All" in it for the mall cruisers.

Nay

Anyone know if you can get REVOs in 295/75 16?

The Bridgestone website doesn't show anything bigger than 285 (not that 285 is small).

Hayes

i have 285 bfg ats, i can vouch for the lack of lateral traction in the rain on asphalt it gets a little dicey in tight turns, otherwise i love them they wear great, are plenty quite on the highway and for my type of adventures they perform fine. with the comments seen here if your int he snow much as you see some in utah i would look at the others for better performance as a daily driver for safety reasons
jerome

Is the Nitto Terra Grappler in the all terrrain category? What about lateral traction performance for these tars?

Love my Revo's.

I'm very happy with the Yokohama Geolander AT/II's. They have larger and deeper lugs than most AT tires and clean out very well for AT's. These are very good AT tires for off road.

Wet traction and snow is good but not as good as the Revos.

I have experience with the Nitto TG's also and they are a good value as well.

Both of these tires are better than the BFG AT's I think. I've had several sets of BFG AT's and I wouldn't go back to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom