BFG AT alternatives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

livelarg said:
Dunlop RV's.

I'll give you a second here. I have had excellent results with Dunlops and their Rover line. They are often overlooked and I'm not sure why considering the reviews. Very reasonably priced too at retail stores. There is a Rover AT but I'd go with the Rover RT or RXVT depending on your size requirements.

I have beat the ever-loving crap out of my Dunlops and taken them across ice & snow nay a problem, slickrock, desert rock, many multi-thousand miles road trips w/ towing, loaned them to my brother who no doubt attempted to do damage, taken them back and moved them to other vehicles. They still have amazing traction off-road even without a super-aggressive tread and took my family through many a mountain Colorado snow storm and Iowa/Wisconsin ice, and a fair amount of tread left. I think probably 70k really hard miles on them and many more k to go.

of anyone else talking about them.

I think because Dunlops were OE on LCs for so many years that people always switched FROM them, not to them. Not sure either.

http://www.dunloptire.com

Something overlooked here may be the Cooper Discover AT. Pretty inexpensive but ton of siping and a heavy case. I definatly believe in BFG. They are by the #1 seller for a reason. BFG is owned by Michelin. Tons of RandD go into the tires and Michelins rubber compounds are the most advanced. Whatever you buy get them Siped and it will make a huge difference in any tire. Like I said before there are lots of decent tires but BFG wins BAHA in almost every vehicle and tire class and is the #1 seller for a reason.

DJForrestA said:
... BFG wins BAHA in almost every vehicle and tire class and is the #1 seller for a reason.

The BFG that wins Baja has nothing to do with the ones you buy at Discount, totally custom made.

FWIW and I know this may be a one-off thing, but recently my Michelin split right down the center of the tread circumfrentially; non-repairable.

I know Michelin is tops really, but this recent experience scares me away a little. Now maybe some XZLs on my truck and I'll change my mind...

They have stock tires as well. The BAJA's are also available at 300 dollars a tire but in the stock classes they run stock BFGs and win almost every class. Like I said the numbers don't lie. BFG sells the most, gets used alot in abusive situations, but still has a very low replacement and defect count. I like the MT's siped myself. But some people need the AT. I'd rather have the traction and sacrifice some tread life and a little noise and ice traction. But if you have them siped the ice traction really improves.

DJ, I agree, the numbers don't lie.

The BFG AT has outlived its usefull design life. It is no longer the most advanced AT tire on the market, as it was when it was first introduced.

This may account for the fact they are redesigning their tire line...

I've used the BFG AT's several times and they are not bad, I just think the Nittos and Yokohama's are better performing and value. For rain and snow, the REVO's are great too.

BTW, most people race on FREE tires, provided by SPONSORS.

I like the BFG ATs for an all purpose tire. I looked at the Revos but they weren't available in a 315. I really wanted Goodyear MTRs but in June they were on a 6 month backorder for 315s. A tire I'd like to try but really hard to get right now is the Toyo MT. The problem I have with Nittos, Yokohamas, etc... is that they are not common and I can't get them in Idaho with a road hazard. We don't have any local dealers. My dad is running the Revo ATs on his LX and that is a nice tire but it isn't available in a 315. One thing I will say about my ATs is that for putting chains on in the winter they sure are a lot easier than MTs. Also BFG MTs are a terrible tire in hard packed snow and ice. I ran those on my last 80 and hated them in the winter.

My BFG AT's have been so so. My complaints are similair to what others have said. Weak in mud, iffy on rainy roads, etc., etc.,. If I can get my hands on some I'm going to go with Toyo OC MT,s. My buddy has these on his Tacoma and they are unbeleivable. Also the quietest MT's I've ever heard on the street.

Thanks for the input. I've read threads and reviews accross the net.

OK. I've talked myself out of BFG ATs. I do remember sliding around in the rain quite often, but I always thought it was my driving--it probably was, but I've now read enough opinions of poor rain and hard-snow perfomance that I've decided that the BFGs are not on my short list.

I'm living in Salt Lake City now, but we're moving back to the Pacfic Northwest this summer. I've got to have good wet-road performance, and I'll be driving in slushy / packed / heavy fresh snow regularly in the winter (getting "to the mountain").

Off road trips will be dominated by washed out logging roads and the occasional trip back to southern Ootah for some classic slickrock.

My short list:

285/75 Bridgestone Revos
295/75 Nitto Terra Grapplers

The reviews of the Revos are incredibly positive. I like the looks too.

Thing is, I've got my heart set on 295s. I'd like to look a little different (bigger, badder) than the average mostly stock 80, AND I hope to round up the cash for an OME 2.5" sometime in the next year.

Further opinions?

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom