BF Goodrich Tire size for 5.5 R15 wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello,

I want to change the skinny tires on my FJ40 with beefier BF Goodrich All Terrain, but I have not found the correct size. Not even on BF Goodrich web site.
Any suggestions?

Why limit your options to the BFG, there are others available.

Maxxis Razrs, 33/10.5/15 on an OEM steelie.
F97173B2-55E4-4799-ADD1-D82B48C36E49.jpeg

@Bolifart
hello,

I want to change the skinny tires on my FJ40 with beefier BF Goodrich All Terrain, but I have not found the correct size. Not even on BF Goodrich web site.
Any suggestions?

The tire manufacturers do not list "beefier" tires to fit on 5.5 inch OEM wheels.

Folks here have mounted 9.5 and 10.5 wide tires on the OEM wheels, but many have noted that national tire chains won't do it, since, as you have learned, the tire manufacturers don't list those wider tires for OEM wheels.

Diameter (30, 31, 32 inches, etc.) are typically limited by how much extra lift you have. Width is also a factor, wider and taller can rub on fenders and suspension. Also, wider tires are harder to turn with manual steering.

I settled for 30X9.50R15 General Grabber A/TX. Stock "seasoned" suspension, no lift.

Any other trade offs between “beefier” vs narrower tires? I’ve got 32x11.5/15 BFGs on the wagon wheels (10”?). My 79 has PS so steering not an issue. Would the OEM steelies and narrower tires allow for better handling, smoother ride on pavement, better mpgs, etc? Was thinking of sizing down actually?!?!

Last edited:
@Bolifart

The tire manufacturers do not list "beefier" tires to fit on 5.5 inch OEM wheels.

Folks here have mounted 9.5 and 10.5 wide tires on the OEM wheels, but many have noted that national tire chains won't do it, since, as you have learned, the tire manufacturers don't list those wider tires for OEM wheels.

Diameter (30, 31, 32 inches, etc.) are typically limited by how much extra lift you have. Width is also a factor, wider and taller can rub on fenders and suspension. Also, wider tires are harder to turn with manual steering.

I settled for 30X9.50R15 General Grabber A/TX. Stock "seasoned" suspension, no lift.
That's what I run on my '76 FJ40 with stock suspension, mounted on FJ60 chrome spoke wheels.

As for OEM steelies, lots of folks here run a 31X10.5 wide tire with stock ride height. Folks with a 2.5 inch lift can generally run a 33X10.5 wide tire with no rub. These rigs came with a HR78 tire that had about a 28” outside diameter as a reference. Yes, many chain tire shops won’t mount the 10.5 wide tire, been running them for years with zero issues. @1FastBimmer I really like the look of that 9.5 tire👍 What brand tires are those?

As for OEM steelies, lots of folks here run a 31X10.5 wide tire with stock ride height. Folks with a 2.5 inch lift can generally run a 33X10.5 wide tire with no rub. These rigs came with a HR78 tire that had about a 28” outside diameter as a reference. Yes, many chain tire shops won’t mount the 10.5 wide tire, been running them for years with zero issues. @1FastBimmer I really like the look of that 9.5 tire👍 What brand tires are those?
Super Swamper TSL radials

I have 31x10.5 on stock rims with a 2.5 inch lift. I like the skinny look and started down the 235/85 r16 route but decided on the good year dura trac tires, been pretty happy with them.

20200830_122515.jpg

I recently went to America’s tire/Discount tire and they wouldn’t mount 33x10.5 on stock steelies. I called a guy I know who mounts large truck tires and he’s going to do them for me.

Right now I have 33x12.5 on 10” rims. I do have a tired 2” lift with 4” shackles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom