BEWARE!!! Vulture Mine Cruisers Colt Hottinger DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear Fellow IH8MUD members:

Background:
I recently bought a '71 FJ40 Land Cruiser off of eBay from Colt Hottinger. His eBay seller name is "coyotepopper." He has a website Vulture Mine Cruisers - FJ40 Land Cruiser Restoration. He lives in and his "shop" is in Wickenburg, Arizona. His street address is 1057 S. Vulture Mine Rd Wickenburg, AZ 8539.

I bought this Land Cruiser from eBay from him before the auction ended, and as a result, I have no recourse through eBay and or PayPal. I have purchased and sold vehicles on eBay Motors several times with no problems up to this point. (ADVICE: Don't agree to buy a vehicle on eBay before the auction ends - you have no recourse should something go wrong.) I was not a member of IH8MUD before I bought the vehicle, so I knew nothing about his website or company "Vulture Mine Outfitters."

I was lucky when compared to some of his other customers who purchased vehicles from him. My FJ40 was as advertised, BUT HE REMOVED THE HEATER BOX AND ALL OF THE HEATER COMPONENTS!!!

FACTUAL DETAILS:
When I called him about this, he stated that the "heater core was leaking, so I took it out." Well, removing the heater core does not mean REMOVING ALL OF THE HEATER COMPONENTS!
So I'm missing:
1) the heater box
2) the heater core
3) both left and right heater coses that go up to the cowl
4) the plastic duct that goes from the heater blower to the heater box
5) the HARD TO FIND rubber gasket that connect the plastic duct from the heater core to the heater box.
(all of these parts are very expensive, by the way)

The ad pictures on eBay clearly show the interior with the heater box and ducts. After calling numerous times and leaving at least SIX messages with no return calls, I finally got him to pick up after calling from another telephone number. His response to me was "You should be happy that you got a rust-free Cruiser... I may be able to find the parts and send them to you... I don't owe you anything..."

After looking at his website and at the other vehicles he has for sale, I can safely assume that he TOOK THE HEATER BOX AND HEATER COMPONENTS OUT OF MY VEHICLE AND PUT THEM IN ANOTHER VEHICLE OR ONE OF HIS RESTORATIONS."

There's more:
In addition, it was over two weeks and several more telephone calls until I received the title that I requested. HE DID NOT SEND ME A BILL OF SALE AS I REQUESTED. He told me that his "wife mailed out the title to you after the delivery truck picked it up." I requested the title be sent UPS or FedEx, and as I stated, I finally received the title via the USPS (snail mail) after two weeks with no tracking. :mad:

He also wrote a VERY MISLEADING eBAY AD. He statements included "a fresh engine rebuild with all documentation and paperwork"..."a completely rust-free vehicle"...."no leaks whatsoever." :mad:

More facts I learned AFTER I got the vehicle:
-the engine was rebuilt 9 years ago in 2001. There is but one, one page receipt with no detail. It was not refreshly rebuilt with documentation. :mad:
-the vehicle leaks water like there is no hardtop on it. It leaks badly from several places around the doors and top and it leaks under the cowl in the interior where he PULLED THE HEATER BOX. The Cruiser WAS NOT LEAK PROOF! :mad:
-there is rust on the vehicle. He said in his conversations to me that the pictures showed "primer under the original paint." (I live in Georgia, and he is in Arizona, but rust is rust and lives in every state!)

My background:
I have been in the consulting, service, and retail business for 21 years, and I'm quite a bit the gearhead and no dummy when it comes to vehicles and repairing them.

My professional assessment of this guy is that he is EXTREMELY DISHONEST and is fully aware of his misdeeds in his sale and restoration of Toyota Land Cruisers. He talks a "good talk" over the telephone and evidently has scammed many others in the same way I was taken. COLT HOTTINGER LIES ON A CONSISTENT BASIS in his business dealings, and he's good at it!

I called him one last time today, and his response before hanging up on me was "I don't owe you anything... and you ought to be glad you got a Cruiser for the price you did."

I repeat, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM COLT HOTTINGER aka COYOTEPOPPER on eBay. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH VULTURE MINE CRUISERS located in Wickenburg, Arizona. :mad: :mad: :mad:

This man is a VULTURE and is a BOTTOM-FEEDER and SHOULD BE AVOIDED!!! BUYER BEWARE..... :censor:

This is going to open a can of worms; a vocal contingent on this forum should arrive here any moment now to say that whatever happened must be your own fault and yell at you for calling this guy out publicly. Hang in there; for my part, I think you gave him plenty of chance to make you a happy customer, this is a fair response.

Maybe he'll show up and tell his side of the story.

Until then, sorry you got boned.

The good news is that all of those parts should be easy to find from a parted-out truck in the Classifieds. And the "gasket" you refer to is commonly replaced with a heater rebuild kit - its just a strip of foam with adhesive backing.

coyotepopper is his ebay user Id. Did you buy the green fj40 he had on there a couple weeks ago?

Nothing a vacation to AZ wouldnt fix. I bought my 40 from a mud member and was not happy with the way my 40 described to me. But it was cheep so.......

Someone should photoshop it with GOT METH? Whoooaa!

Sorry you got burned dude, thats a bummer but hey you still got a cruiser. Keep coming back for info here and become a regular. Post some photos of your rig and just try to enjoy it.

Man that sucks!

I was looking at that blue '71, not that I am ready to buy a second rig at this point in time, but it looked really nice, and pretty much what I would like to have as a DD...sweet stock blue '71.

You now have a nice looking rig, so just put it behind you, or it will eat you up every time you play with your rig...my 0.02 :beer:

nice looking 40 man.

Seems like i saw this same 40 for sale last year my the same cat. "coyotepopper" on ebay.

Sucks about the heater and other noise :(

But nice rig man!

Post up some more photos :D

anything short of flying out to AZ and murdering him, and youre a pussy.

chat needs blood from a pumping heart to satisfy.

RED RUM!! RED RUM!!

Zimm you sure love to stir $h!t dont ya....lol

Sold my Samurai on E-bay and I insisted people come look it over before bidding.......I wouldnt even buy a brand new car sight unseen......cant even imagine buying a used one....unless the price was ridiculously low

i bought a cj8 off ebay based on the photos and only saw it about 30 minutes prior to ending. Could not have been happier with it, bought a 62 fj40 off ebay, did talk to the owner before buying, very happy. He said he has extra little parts not pictured, a pair of hard doors in great shape was a real surprise bonus. ebay can be great, and buying it without seeing it, or checking it makes it fun as long as you are prepared. Of course I am buying the very low end of the price range. You just have to do your homework, but to get something delivered and have parts missing that were in the picture is total BS, he should have told you before the deal, or offered to give your money back and cacnel or adjust the price. This is a bad guy to deal with.

so back to the OP who says he has a background in retail and consulting. At what point did you not think it was somewhat imperative that you might wanna google this guy or his business prior to bidding? I mean it's not like this guy doesn't have some history for this.

The part that really sucks is that this guy is going to continue to screw people who don't do their research. This example is one reason I would not feel comfortable buying a car from ebay.

No, but he tried to get me to buy that one after I already had purchased the blue one.

I forgot to add that the 4WD (front drive axle) does not work either.

I have bought and sold several vehicles on eBay motors and will continue to do so. When you've bought enough of them, you know what to look for and watch out for. In general, you look at the pictures, then more pictures, then more pictures, then do a title search and ask questions regarding the specific model you're looking for. In my case, my area of expertise is older Broncos and Range Rovers. I was presented with all of the information I needed to make an educated and informed purchase. What I received however was not exactly 100% of what he had presented and what we discussed.

In this case, I knew nothing about IH8MUD.com, so I didn't find out about him until I joined the Forum. 'Live and learn.'

anything short of flying out to AZ and murdering him, and youre a pussy.

chat needs blood from a pumping heart to satisfy.

Who says I don't visit Arizona? Remember, what goes around does eventually comes around. 'Enough said.

Have you thought about taking him to small claims court for the cost of the heaterbox parts? Getting a lawyer to sue him?

Small Claims in AZ is $2500.

Arizona Small Claims Court Information

Getting beyond small claims requires an investment of time, money, aggravation, and many of us would also need to toss in airfare, hotel, rental car, time away from work, etc.

Adds up quick... and the likelihood of getting enough back to have made it worthwhile is suspect. Where it anywhere near cost effective there are a number of us that would have already sued the living dog **** out of Colt Hottinger and Vulture Mine Cruisers; myself included.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom