Best Rust Prevention for 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I'm a new owner of 98 DBM 100 series, and I'm looking to remove the surface rust on the chassis and coat it. It is a California shell with minimal surface rust through the entire frame.

From personal experiences that have done it, what are the best products to coat the whole chassis with for rust prevention? I've heard people using Fluid Film, Por-15, etc.

Any feedback is much appreciated. And apologize if there is a thread on this already.

If it's a CA truck living in Las Vegas I wouldn’t worry about it except to hit some fasteners: bushings, skid plates, steering, etc. The coatings make a greasy mess. Worth it in the rust belt, but I wouldn't do it if I lived in a desert.

Last edited:
Mitch, did you apply yourself? If so, can you elaborate?

Fluid film is nice unless you like working on your own truck. Then it's a pain and gets all over you every time you are wrenching.

For this reason I went with POR15 on my truck. It didn't have any preexisting rust on it but it was spending 1 winter in NY and I wanted to protect it. It's been great so far. Just make sure to topcoat it so it doesn't breakdown with UV exposure.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it!

I'm thinking to go the POR-15 route as I wouldn't want to re apply the coats with the fluid film route.

@Hokie LX Did you spray or brush on your POR-15?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it!

I'm thinking to go the POR-15 route as I wouldn't want to re apply the coats with the fluid film route.

@Hokie LX Did you spray or brush on your POR-15?

I brushed it on. If I were to do it again, I'd look into spraying but I had good results with brushing. I used some foam craft brushes of different widths which worked out great! Below are some pics from my build thread of it. The chassis looks odd cause I just sprayed on the etching fluid. It's been on there for over 3 years and still looks great!

Im using something called Corroseal on my recently purchased 120. I've used POR15 before on Ford products and frankly was not left overly impressed.
Time will tell how well Corroseal reacts with the slight surface rust on my trucks frame, but from the application/results it looks pretty good.

I really like Corroseal. It’s easy to apply, water based, non-toxic and it doesn’t look like you slathered the chassis with paint. Great stuff.

When I find surface rust, I just wire brush it and rattle can spray it with hammerite. I'm in southern California, so I don't have much to paint each year. (I've also used rustoleums hammered spray paint. )

Yes, I bought this kit Woolwax® "Pro" Undercoating Gun

Put it on jack stands and spray underneath it. Try to avoid spraying rubber parts. It smells for a week or so but its not too bad.
Just as a note, you can totally get Fluid Film on rubber parts without concern, it's totally naturally derived from lamb's wool as you already probably realize, no petroleum, and you can actually use it as a penetrating lube for rubber parts that get squeaky.

por15 is a tricky product to use and there’s risk of rotting behind the paint as well as delamination.

fluid film (Woolwax) is a mess.

I wish I had used Cosmoline (rp342) check itout on amazon

The folks using Corroseal: I see its a water based "rust converter " and it's designed as a "prep" for a top coat of paint (or tar); curious what are you top coating with or are you using it as a stand alone product?
"The metal primer acts as a bonding agent for intermediate and finish coatings of epoxies, enamels, acrylics, urethanes and cold tar. Water-based coatings may require an oil based stain blocker as an intermediate application."

I have something similar to this, Guardair Syphon Spray Gun - 79SGM. I spay use motor oil on the frame and suspension of my Tundra, Honda Pioneer, and the wifes Rx350. No rust on either vehicle and the Tundra is a 2016 and the Rx is a 2013. Works great, cheap, and puts a real light coating on everything. I bought my sprayer at a yard sale for a few bucks. I spray twice a year during oil changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom