Best Roof Rack For my Application (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay gang, so here's the one accessory I know I will use and abuse. The roof rack. I gather that the factory rack is no good and I can understand thaht based on looking at it.

What I really want is a rack that with haul lumber, sheetrock, kayaks and optionally yakima box full of skis (not at the same time.)

Those "safari" racks look pretty cool, but how are they for hauling drywall and 20' glue lams?

Would I be better of just getting a set (i'm thinking three based on fifteen years experience with hauling stuff) of yakima bars and towers and calling it good, but those outback racks that slee has look pretty cool.

Any advice?

-Erik

For the varied uses you describe, it seems to me that you'd be a Yakima type of guy.

I currently own a Yakima, but am not a Yakima type of guy :D

The cool thing about the Yakima (or Thule) is its versatility. You can remove the basket and attach kayak "holders" or ski boxes or just have the bars up there for hauling lumber or sheet rock.

All I ever do with mine is carry cargo in the Mega Warrior rack.
I bought mine because I was in a time-related bind -- I needed a rack NOW, so I bought something that I felt would be easy to sell later.

If you were closer to NorCal, I'd sell you my Yakima set up. I have 3 bars, the associated feet and the MegaWarrior basket with extension. If you decide to go with Yakima and you get the extension for the basket, you'll also want to get the 3rd bar to support the extension.

The outback racks that Slee Offroad sells are very highly regarded. If you choose to get one of those, I think you'd be happy with it. I'm not sure how you'd load kayaks and ski boxes, but I'm sure it couldn't be too difficult to work something out.

Is that NorCal as in SoCal? If so I'm a buyer who would cruiseie on up to get it. Does it have the moonroof hole and the high sides? If so its for me. Send a PM with your offer. Tomorow I'm in Frisco so if you reply before I go to bed maybe a quick conclution!

MH_Stevens said:
Is that NorCal as in SoCal? If so I'm a buyer who would cruiseie on up to get it. Does it have the moonroof hole and the high sides? If so its for me. Send a PM with your offer. Tomorow I'm in Frisco so if you reply before I go to bed maybe a quick conclution!
It's NorCal as in NorCal -- Sacramento area.

We're planning a trip to SoCal later this summer, so I could drop it off if you like. How's that for service.

No need for sunroof hole, it stops just into the sunroof, but you could set it back a couple inches, so it'll clearn it all togther.

NorCalDoug said:
All I ever do with mine is carry cargo in the Mega Warrior rack.
I bought mine because I was in a time-related bind -- I needed a rack NOW, so I bought something that I felt would be easy to sell later.

What sort of cargo do you need to carry in the rack?

Reason I ask is that I'm not so sure I'd ever use a mega-warrior type rack, but I've never had one, so I've never thought of the possibilities.

Same problem for the safari rack, really. I mean tt's nice to support the load and all, but it's not like I throw a bunch of duffel bags up there either.

-Erik

I bought the rack to haul stuff for Cruise Moab '04. Brought the wife and 2 kids with...which means I got to haul a bunch of extra stuff. I had the rack loaded primarily with luggage on that trip. For other trips, I've carried spare parts, my fluids and parts box, tents, camping gear, etc.

I transported a large oak dining room set (table, extension leaf, and 6 chairs) about 20 miles to my wife's grandmother's house. I've had (on separate occasions) twin and queen sized beds (mattress, box spring, bed frame, and head/footboards). I threw 5 OEM LC wheels with stock sized tires up there and drove 50 miles home. I've used it to haul 4x8 foot sheets of fiberboard (heavy suckers) -- I had 4 of them up there at about 40 pounds per board. I've used it as a lumber rack too -- hauling a bunch of 2x4s and fence board for a project.

The last time I used it was in March of this year when I went to Death Valley -- I had firewood, a couple of fuel cans and a couple 5 gal water cans up there.

I don't like putting too much in the cargo area, especially if it blocks my view to the rear and if it interferes with my access to my ARB fridge -- gotta have access to my cold drinks :D So...I tend to throw stuff on the roof rack, when I have it on.

I currently have it off my truck. It's a bit noisy -- which doesn't really bother me much. What bothers me is that fuel economy suffers by about a gallon to a gallon and a half per mile at highway speed.

If you do get a megawarrior rack, spend the extra 35 dollars and get the cargo net that goes with it. Once you untangle it...it does a fantastic job of keeping everything in place.

I have a Hannibal and do exactly what you want to. The rear crossmember comes off for when I'm carrying a 36' ladder. It's aluminum as well so weighs like 50 lbs I think. Easy on and off with full support along the entire rain gutter. 4x8 sheet goods lay perfectly flat and the 6" sides allow for great tie down. Everyone who has seem it comments on it's quality.

they aren't cheap though.

TracRac

When I had an 80, I thought about getting this set-up. Have you heard of TracRac? They are made of aluminum. Weigh 25lbs but can support 500lbs and maybe more with the optional grade extensions. The sliding crossbar tiedowns make it easy to secure lumber.
http://www.tracrac.com/tracvan/tracvan.html

They make a set-up for vans with gutters. The 80 has gutters so it should work. The accessories include Kayak and bike mounts. They even have a "cantilever extension" or another support that extends 32" forward to accomodate longer pieces of lumber or ladders. Check it out:

http://www.tracrac.com/tracrac/accessories.html

Last edited:
i run two yakima bars, but could easily add a third as needed for lengthy items. i also have a warrior basket that is grossly underused. given that you can go pretty long on the yak bars and the upright (imho) are better than the thules for this application, i'd say that you can't go wrong with them unless you're hauling half the lumber yard up there....

Kaymar Tradesman. Available from Man-A-Fre. It runs about $700, but I regularly put over 1000 lbs on top. I know a guy who hauls 2000 lbs of material on the roof from Berkeley, CA. to the Utah Salt Flats 2-3 times a year for about the past 6 years without any problems. I'm a Building Contractor, so I wanted something really tough, and the Hannibal was my other choice, but it was more than I wanted to spend.

If your hauling dry wall sheets and 20' pieces you need to get a trailer. In addition it will be easier to tie down and less likely to be damaged in the transportation process.

Last edited:
hoser said:
Steve, are those load bars compatible with Yakima or Thule accessories?

Not bolt on compatible, but you might be able to make them work with the accessories if you get really creative (probably not worth it). They have a channel in the center that will fit an 8mm bolt so you can easily bolt things to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom