Best places in the US to find a quality cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

With the CDN buck riding high these days, and the recommendations from my fellow cruiserboard brothers it appears that another one of your US 80's is being eyed up for removal and safekeeping in Canada...Now I just have to figure out the best places to go about looking for a quality cruiser at a decent price...

suggestions would be appreciated..

I am interested in responses to this also, as I am looking

So far what I have found: autotrader.com is nation wide and has a lot a good place to start but generally most of the stuff there is over priced or already sold

Also major cities papers usually have their classifieds online many people there are more reasonable (stay out of Atlanta until I find mine ;) ) , ebay is another but I would never buy nothing that I have not seen in person also bidding seams to get out of hand, prices get high

Buying remotely is going to be more difficult,

I was going to look at a black 96 this morning, lockaers 115k 13.5$K but he took a deposit yesterday

I never got to see it :whoops:

Guys -
I have done business with a dealership in Dallas that I would recommend, if your search priorities are the quality of the cruiser and overall value. Ignore this recommendation if you have a short time frame, or are searching mainly for the lowest possible price.

Sewell Lexus does a large business online, and they obviously deal in new Lexus vehicles. However, they will sell recent model Toyotas and other trade-in vehicles, if and only if those vehicles are in great shape and can be sold for a premium price. They're doing more and more business on the internet, so you can Google the firm and check them out.

I wanted a North Texas TLC that had been dealer-maintained (with records), garage kept, not wheeled (much) and was being traded in for a new TLC or LX 470. These guys found it for me, but it took a couple of months. The actually found a second one for my wife, but in the one hour between their e-mail to me and my reply, the first customer to test drive the truck bought it.

I have no business relationship with them, no financial or personal interest, etc etc. The dealership is quite reputable, and the founder/owner is well-regarded in the Dallas Christian community. The only issue I have with them is their mark-up on parts, but readers of this board know where to get a "smart shopper" discount. If you want the name/number/e-mail of a couple of guys with whom I have done business there, PM me.

LT

8)

the best deals are prolly the ones that you will never hear of, word or mouth sales.

but in WA autotrader and northwest clasifieds(Seattle PI, ect) are the best bets

How about good ol' eBay? Find cruisers that match your description and then you have until the end of the auctions to try and get a member to check them out, you wouldn't want to bid until the last minute anyway, right?

I had good luck Ebay...but I'm sure others have not. Just like the entire used car market. Some are good deals and others are not.

But for me, I was dead set on buying a FZJ80 with low miles and if I waited for one to show up around here...I'd still be waiting...or have to pay 20 grand or something stupid.

So I hung out on Ebay for about a month and bid on a couple that went higher but finally got a creampuff 97 with 57K miles, no lockers (bummer), but great condition for about trade-in value at the time. :D

Y'all just need to keep looking around. The deals are plentifull as you'll notice if you look at the archives.

Better deals are coming every day. If you rush, then you'll regret it. When I was looking for my 40, Pimp kept telling me to take my time and one would show up. It did and was a screamin deal.

The deals are out there, just take your time.

the trick is not to look hard or don't look at all........the harder you look the less you see........at least thats what works for me.

Where to look? Everywhere... I have been looking at a few over the last year or so.... they are all over place the in price and condition. Some are clean and cheap, others can be several grand more but are half the truck.... Keep looking, don't impulse buy.

Be careful in Atlanta....they may be cheaper...but Atlanta is NOT nice to vehicles on a DD basis.

If you find one, make sure it was a grocery getter and not a commuter.

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=10308;start=msg92570#msg92570 date=1074576009]
Be careful in Atlanta....they may be cheaper...but Atlanta is NOT nice to vehicles on a DD basis.

If you find one, make sure it was a grocery getter and not a commuter.
[/quote]

I had not thought of that, I commute in from the south, nice 30 mile all freeway ride, I put 55K miles on my truck in 2 years still have more than half of my original brake pads, but most of the cruisers are on the north side witch is a stop and go mess :doh:

do the GA cruisers every do any easy rides (read low possibility of body damage) I have been to telico ORV a few times with friends almost guaranteed body damage if you spend any time there

I understand there are some easier trails in GA, I want to keep it good looking for a little wile at least

We have several rides that are low risk...but due to Georgia being Georgia there is always the risk of pinstriping from brush.

There is a newer private park up near the 400 outlets that is supposedly quite nice if you know the right people to get in.

I think we are working on a ride there soon.

I do hear you though...I still have a lot to do to armor up the 80 and Tellico is not a wise choice unless you have every bit of aftermarket armor on.

The LC i got i saw on autotrader....actually was looking for a 4runner for 3 months and saw this LC in my price range. Wanted a SUV $10,000 out the door and thats what i got. Looked at it, liked it, and ended up buying it.

It seems that the best ones for condition and price are always in Texas when I've been looking. Idaho has good Cruisers but the mileage is usually higher and the prices make you wonder if ours are made of gold. Wyoming and Montana have similar markets as Idaho. I'd stay out of the midwest rust belt (MN, WI, MI, IA, IL, etc...). I wouldn't buy anything off the East Coast. And in Florida I've never talked to anyone who spoke English. Most of the ones I've come across in SLC have had some issue (rust sometimes, sometimes other things). Every Cruiser I've ever persued out of Portland has had something screwed up in the deal. I'd look for big cities with a mild climate.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=10308;start=msg92747#msg92747 date=1074623491]
I wouldn't buy anything off the East Coast. And in Florida I've never talked to anyone who spoke English.
[/quote]

Just to elaborate.....Dade or Broward counties (Miami, Ft.Lauderdale) has a very high hispanic population, not necessarily a bad thing, but can lead to miscommunication problems. The rest of the state seems to be very overpriced as a whole and the summer sun is brutal on paint and interiors if not garage kept. Salt air isn't an issue unless you've parked it on the beach for extended periods. Never seen an 80 with factory lockers here either, but if I did........... :D

[quote author=raventai link=board=2;threadid=10308;start=msg92592#msg92592 date=1074580576]
I had not thought of that, I commute in from the south, nice 30 mile all freeway ride, I put 55K miles on my truck in 2 years still have more than half of my original brake pads, but most of the cruisers are on the north side witch is a stop and go mess :doh:

do the GA cruisers every do any easy rides (read low possibility of body damage) I have been to telico ORV a few times with friends almost guaranteed body damage if you spend any time there

I understand there are some easier trails in GA, I want to keep it good looking for a little wile at least

[/quote]

I bought my LC in Atlanta when I lived there in 1998. It was 3 years old and had around 30K miles on it. I've put over 100K miles on it and it has been perfect, no rust, etc. I would not be affraid of an Atlanta LC, great smooth roads and mild weather no salt etc. Just check the service record and the condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom