Best Oil for *Performance* '85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read as much as I can about this topic that I'm sure many of you are tired of reading about. The dreaded motor oil debate...

My recently acquired '85 FJ60 has 268k miles. I've been doing the small things to squeeze as much performance as possible out of this 2F.

It's a daily driver in AL, and I'm about to change the oil and filter, the temperature range will be 20-60 until the next oil change.

I don't care about leaks, or which oil will last the longest. I just want the best compression and performance possible for this daily driver.

< Apologies in advance that I have no immediate plans to crawl any rocks or get stuck in mud somewhere. I just know I always wanted a manual shift with round headlights, and Rip Wheeler will still be mine whenever I eventually kick the bucket > 😎

BBDB9E20-2ADD-4BFD-821D-6AE4519D01FE.jpeg

Any oil that is oil.

I like 15w50 Mobil1 but that’s all for the zinc. But I’ve got the only racetractor on this site.

If you figure a way to get performance out of oil! You will be a billionaire!!!!!
in one of these threads, someone mentioned that dino oil offers better compression or something along those lines (i don't recall exactly how he worded it)

i can do basic car stuff but i'm not an engine master by any means, so be kind 😆

My 2F ran better and got better mileage running synthetic motor oil.
They’re all slippery as hell and work great. Zero sludge. (But synth oil does weep past seals more - which is actually good because it will lubricate them.

If you figure a way to get performance out of oil! You will be a billionaire!!!!!

< found the comment i was referring to. it involves 'pressure' not compression >

"Older high milage motors which have run conventinal oil their whole life when switched to synthetics, will most probably leak & loose oil pressure.

Your motor uses oil for two reasons. Hydraulic *pressure* cushon on bearings and cleaning(physical & chemical).

If your motor is worn and has loose bearings and switched to synthetic oil ... there may not be enough oil pressure to maintain correct hydraulic cushion and you will have problems"

Run a Synthetic Blend 10-40 for the winter.

Rotella T5 15w-40 is good too

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 10w-40 has a pretty good amount of Zinc and it's a little cheaper than the 15w50 (wally mart) and is full Synthetic.

More important is regular 5K mile oil change or sooner with good proper oil.

Capacity is 8 qts or slightly over with new filter. Filter discussion is a whole 'nother :worms:

I've read as much as I can about this topic that I'm sure many of you are tired of reading about. The dreaded motor oil debate...

My recently acquired '85 FJ60 has 268k miles. I've been doing the small things to squeeze as much performance as possible out of this 2F.

It's a daily driver in AL, and I'm about to change the oil and filter, the temperature range will be 20-60 until the next oil change.

I don't care about leaks, or which oil will last the longest. I just want the best compression and performance possible for this daily driver.

< Apologies in advance that I have no immediate plans to crawl any rocks or get stuck in mud somewhere. I just know I always wanted a manual shift with round headlights, and Rip Wheeler will still be mine whenever I eventually kick the bucket > 😎

View attachment 3147619

- you can become enlightened and learn all about your factory owners manual " Viscosity Chart " , then Choose Wisely form there on out

- remember , your FJ60 2F was designed before FULL Synthetic motor oils became common place ,

- its much less about ANTI-WEAR and more about 2F's current Condition and Preserving it for the long term as-is

- a fully Synthetic HI-MILAGE oil such as MOBILE ! has seal softeners , so you may benefit a bit there perhaps ........

- if you choose GHETTO $3.99 PEO-BOYZ oil , you will absolutely get $3.99 Ghetto results ,. and your 2F with 268K will continue to suffer a slow demise as its oil contiues to leak as you describe .?

- Review these i produced in the order #1 -#2 etc , i hope you take away something to preserve your 1985 2F FJ60 engine ........

I was told once to use the lightest oil that will maintain minimum pressure at hot idle and WOT. A mechanic gauge is priceless telemetry.

I was told once to use the lightest oil that will maintain minimum pressure at hot idle and WOT. A mechanic gauge is priceless telemetry.

indeed it is , so is the viscosity chart in the FSM / owners manual and your climate ambient temps

used in concert together , your can't go wrong ........... :)

went with dino rotella 15w-40, as it's the overwhelming choice on this site, and a k&n filter. instead of a flush product, gonna repeat this oil change in 500-1000 miles.

i noticed a smoother engine immediately. thanks for all the advice 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom