Best offset/wheel size for 35’s (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reading up threads on this it seems some advocate the stock wheel as perfect and some a 3.5” backspace. I’m running a 2 inch lift. Looking for clarification. I like the wider stance idea for stability. Im guessing this has some to do with which springs one is running and maybe running flares or not.

The way the inside of the fender is shaped the stock wheel allows the tire to tuck into the fender nicely. I wanted as wide as possible until I realized this. I'm running 315/75r16 (seems like the most common size on here). I don't recall the stock back spacing (4.5"?), but mine are 0.75" less. If I went any less they'd rub real bad, but as is the back just barely brush the inside of the fender at full stuff. I've got about 3.5" lift, for reference.

315s on 17x9 with -12mm offset. They're pretty much right at the edge of a factory flare. Lift is 6" so I've never really bothered to investigate the stuffability of it

full

I'm on stock wheels with 315s as well. My front doesn't fully stuff (I think due to hard old bushings in my radius arms, but my back does... and it doesn't rub at all. Long story short, not rubbing with stock wheels. Here are a lot of pictures I took that show clearance with 315s and stock wheels.

oMVvT0Oh.jpg

q7OhL0lh.jpg

pPizUIhh.jpg

Uxg9sQEh.jpg

6wy2fozh.jpg

Other side:
7ht0Z9xh.jpg

I should have turned the wheel here to show "worst case" but there's plenty of room up front

hSaVMclh.jpg

FvWmmlah.jpg

Here's how my 17x9 -12 offset tucks in with a 37x12.50. 3" bumpstops, ~5" lift
You can also see where I trimmed the rear fender flares to avoid rubbing.

Here’s a comparison of two different 17” wheels with same tires: Been lurking, time to start contributing, here's my beater project

FJ Cruiser wheels that sit inside a little and are 7.5” wide (I think) and some procomps that are the 17x9 with 4.25 backspace.

This is with 17x9 -12 offset Method and General X3 Grabber 35x12.5 on a 91:

Same tire/wheel as above on an LX, stuffs just fine:

Sounds like the short of it is stock rims work and wider stance wheels can work with flare trimming.

I'd just run the stock rims. You say you are looking for more stability? What are you running now and what are you doing that you need more stability?

17x9 with the 3.5 BS, little rub at full stuff, all stock, bump stops and panhard. I could probably get it to not rub at all, but it's so minimal, not worth it to me.

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

same as above - perfect fitment IMHO with a 2.5 OME lift...

View attachment 1905571
This looks a lot like the truck I’m building in the garage. Do you feel like you are going to tear up any flares?

I'd just run the stock rims. You say you are looking for more stability? What are you running now and what are you doing that you need more stability?

Just building the truck and like the idea of wider stance when lifting for safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom