Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys I had my gas tank done about three months ago so I guess I was fresh on their books so toyota sent me a recall notice. It was for the "STEERING RELAY ROD for certain 1989 through 1995 4WD trucks." I guess this is a recent one and has not been out long.

Sorry about calling it the steering shaft, that was from memory, I looked up the recall notice as shown above.

got any more information on this recall?
Have not heard of this one. may have to check into it for my 62...

Dave

Okay so I recently posted this under another thread, but remembering this one thought I would post it here as well...

CB Speaker in factory dash speaker location.

Enjoy:

I got this external speaker from Ol' Radio Shack (Model: 21-549) = $21 bucks:

pRS1C-2077826w345.jpg

Then I just took a radio mount bracket (the bendable one with the holes in it) and cut it in half. Bent it to the right angle and it fits, and more importantly sounds great, It is sooo much louder than the puny one in the CB.

Here is a couple of crappy pics of it installed:

47b6d735b3127cce8c83fb2f5d5600000016108AbMmLdk0YuV

47b6d735b3127cce8c83fbff5d8600000016108AbMmLdk0YuV

Cheers,
Matt

Does the factory glove box still fit?

Warning about gas tank recall

This is for the people who haven't had their "free gas tank" yet. Be sure to harp on them about flushing the new tank out before they install it at the Toyota dealership. Ask me how I know...

My best cheap mod was my $60 lift! I bought 4 stock spring packs and 4 rancho shocks off craigslist. Then I added 4 leafs to the stock rear packs from the ones I bought and 2 to the front, threw onthe rancho's and got enough lift to run 33's.

Got some bosch fog lights for $20, and in all the fog in washington hills they are a godsend.

Howzabout my $50 krylon paint job! And my $50 mail order bride!
P1010341.JPG
syverandjess.jpg

entire wedding in camo, lots of pics, maybe ill start another post on hunting,fishing or chat.

if your blower fan doesn't work well, I just replaced the brushes on mine for about $5. Blows much harder now. Very pleased with the result.

Lights-on alarm (the 60s don't have one... do the 62s?)

Best $7.99 I EVER spent on my cruiser. Hooked up in about 3 minutes.

62's don't have one but mine does now, $1.29 at Radio Shack. For some reason I couldn't get it to work when I tried it months ago. :doh:

:cheers:

And the duct to the passenger vent?

Once in place, there's plenty of room. I think it was a tight squeese getting it in place, though.

:beer:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but for $5 I got new (used) dual horns from the junk yard.

The OEM dual horns are so feeble and wimpy sounding. I wanted dual horns out of a late 90s Camry (good and loud, Japanese sounding), but none were available when I was there, so I got dual horns out of a 1999 Hyundai Sonata as a temporary solution. I've got dual horns kicking around from a 1992 Ford Tempo. They're super loud, but I can't bring myself to put a domestic sounding Ford horn on a classic Japanese rig.

Cool, at least it's old school. 1960's horns have a rather unique and distinctive 60's sound to them. The horns that came in my cruiser sounded retro, which I liked, but they were very feeble. I kind of like the high pitched dual note Japanese sounding horns. Next time I'm at the wreckers I'll check the Camrys and other mid to high end Japanese cars and trucks.

Yeah, get something that people notice. When a 60 sounds like a Tercel :rolleyes:

I picked mine from a choice of cars at the local Pull N Save - $6.00 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom