Best AHC replacement Kit? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The shocks leaking is another poster. On mine its a rusted through line between Accumulator/globes and rear shock. When I inspected the rest of the system all four of lines to shocks look to rust through at any moment and the Accumulators/globes are so rusty its unlikely I can even get the lines threaded out to replace. I feel to get this reliable it would easily entail replacing all 4 lines at $350 each and a good chance of replacing all four accumulators/globes at $750 and possible the shocks if I cant get the rusted on lines off. I would rather have the piece of mind of a conventional suspension, for less cost. The rest of the truck is in really good condition, the AHC system has taken the brunt of the corrosion.
Sorry for the mix up. That does sound like a lot of work and expense.

Those don't look bad to me. Instead of replacing parts, invest in a code reader for AHC and get the system back into spec.
If you can keep your ahc you'll have the best ride, but it does require simple basic maintenance to keep it going. Search, "how to techstream in 5 minutes." This will get you the setup to see if you as actually have problems with your system.

Take it for what it's worth, but, I put the Trail Tailor kit on my LX for my wife. We don't have bumpers and typically drive on the street and she wanted a smooth ride. I started with Tough Dog torsion bars, 2" tourflex springs, tough dog shocks (adjustable rears), diff drop, and upper control arms from Trail Tailor. My wife was not happy with the ride (I didn't think it was bad at all) and she was expecting stock ride quality. So, I switched out the torsion bars for stock Land Cruiser and went with 1" tourflex light duty springs and she is much happier.

This is no-way a knock on the Tough Dog stuff, so don't take it as it's stiff, because it's definitely not! The torsion bars are in between stock Land Cruiser and OME, so I thought they would be perfect...and to me they were! The rear springs however, were too stiff because there was no load in the back, so the new 1" light duty springs are actually perfect for what we need.

As for buying stock stuff from the dealer...prepare for a big sticker shock! The stock Land Cruiser springs are what really kill your budget, and you will definitely need those if you have an LX and don't want AHC.

Thanks for the reply’s. On the tough dog setup how much lift did you end up with after it settles? Also, what size tires are those? Thanks

I replaced my AHC with a ToughDog setup and love it. Mine is built to carry LOTS of weight though. My setup would ride crazy harsh on a stock rig. Mine is the 53mm front/45mm adjustable rear, dual rate heavy coils with Nitro UCAs and a diff drop. My overall lift is 2". It was 2.5" before all my weight was added.

If you plan on staying largely stock, the medium duty coils would be the maximum I'd recommend and the 41mm on the front and rear would be plenty.

IronMan ProFoams are also really nice.

Keep in mind: the ToughDog and Ironman torsion bars are thicker (and consequently more stout/harsh) than the Old Man Emu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom