Best 4runner year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AspenFJ40,

It just depends on what your plans are for the vehicle. I would go with the LC due to my need for a larger vehicle.

LC = larger, slower, worse gas mileage, more expensive to repair, solid axle and two lockers++

4runner = smaller, faster, better gas mileage, less expensive to repair, low mileage replacement engines for $1500, ifs (good for moderate wheeling), rear locker

I know several people who have over 200,000 mi. on their 3.4v6 and still running strong. Those are good motors too and replacements are VERY available.

I would consider a vehicle inspection by a reputable mechanic unless you are a 4 star wrench.

I have an 85 and I LOVE it. Have had it for 15 years and it is part of the family. Has been in places it shouldn't have and brought us home fine. Gets 20 - 23 mpg and runs when it shouldn't too (mines at 228k and still going strong). I recently had to semi-retire the runner though due to 4 daughters too big to cram in it =o(. Couldn't and won't part with the runner though (teenage daughter will be driving it soon). Replacement? 96 cruiser! Love it too! Just not the mileage (11 - 15 if I'm nice). The 96 LC is an awesome 4wheeler and if it is anything like our 68 fj40 and my 85 runner I'm sure it will be around for a long time too.

When I sold my 95 tacoma to buy a "toy" truck I had a tough time deciding between an fj40 and an 85 4 runner. I wound up with a 79 fj40, but the early 4 runners are really cool rigs. I had an 86 with ifs, but with 35's and 5.29 gears the thing was an animal off road. That said, my wifes 00 4 runner (with the rear locker) is an incredibly capable stock rig. With the locker and slightly larger tires than stock it goes places I have trouble with in my fj40 (open diffs though) when I start losing traction. The suspension is a bit soggy on them, but a set of bilsteins makes them handle way better. It's also a very quiet and comfortable highway cruiser that gets about 20mpg with a v6/auto. A good friend of mine has a 93 with 3.0 5 speed that is pathetically slow and the thing is rusty as can be. I haven't seen a rusty 3rd gen yet.

All the ones that say Toyota on them are good. There are some 85's out there with a solid axle and EFI. That's probably the best thing to start with for a wheeler. But if you just need a driver get hte newest one you can afford, and even though that 22re is known for reliability it is pretty gutless on the highway so I'd go for a V6 for sure.

I owned an 85 and totalled it out in a wreck. Now i own a 91.

Out of the two i would take the 85 anyday of the week. It was better balanced the 4 cyl seemed to have more power than the v6 i have now. When i wrecked the 85 it had 289000 miles on it and showed no signs of slowing down. With the 91 it has 140000 and we have replaced the head gaskets and the transmission already. I think the 85 looks better than any other they have came out with and was a great DD. When it came to driving in the snow we coudln't beat it. We would drive around my small community pulling silverados, jeeps and f150s out of ditches.

I am looking for a nice 85 4runner to buy for a daily driver right now. When i find one i will yonder my 93 4wd toy P/U and stick with my 4runner(unless i find a LC first).

lunyou

40ozFJ said:
All the ones that say Toyota on them are good. There are some 85's out there with a solid axle and EFI. That's probably the best thing to start with for a wheeler. But if you just need a driver get hte newest one you can afford, and even though that 22re is known for reliability it is pretty gutless on the highway so I'd go for a V6 for sure.

when i had my 22RE EFI it wasn't that gutless. It never encountered anything it couldn't do and it still got 25+ miles to the gallon.

About the saggy Butt problem. The one i had came special from the factory. When my dad went to buy it new they said a man had ordered it but never cam e to get it. I would say it was a "sport" addition. It had white 5 spoke wheels and 31 x 10.50s that came on the wheels. And it never had a saggy butt like i have noticed on some of the older 4runners, and no we never replaced the back shocks or springs so toyota might have changed something for this custom "stock" version.

lunyou

I recently purchased a 86 4R and love it. For what it is, it is a great truck! It gets better gas milage than my 97 Cruiser for sure. The power is not the same but for a DD the 4R is just right. As for driving on the highway the acceleration is not the best but the power is there once you get it going. If you look you could find a good one espcially in the price range your looking. I was very lucky and picked mines up for fair deal from the daughter of the original owner. There are a few very minor things I need to do but overall its great. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

HTH
Steve

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
The best year of 4Runner for me would be the 3rd Gen from 96 to 99 that came equip with a rear locking diff and a 3.4 V6 engine and some came with fender flares and body side molding like the LX 450. I wish I could trade my 2nd Gen with a low mileage locked 3rd Gen.

i know i came late and prolly should have read it all, but i do love my limited edition. leather seats lockers standard....right of the lot they already are great dd and 4x4....

if you were building a beast, an 85 is a good choice becuase its the only year with fuel injection a solid extra gusseted axle. but since your looking for a dd with off road capabilties, i think you'd be happier with a 3rd gen.

Our 99 LTD gets almost 19 around the mountain, and 22 on the interstate.

I really like the option to go rear-wheel drive, all-wheel drive or 4 wheel (locked), which was new in the 1999 limited model. Plus, the Runner has the auto-dimming mirrors, compass in the rear-view, and that nifty rear window remote control (much nicer than the Cruiser's remote-control rear vent windows!).

The Runner just isn't quite as comfortable and solid as the cruiser -- but it's in second place and everything else I've tried so far is way back in the competition and tied for third.

LT

AspenFJ40 said:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about adding a 4runner to the collection - most likely a DD, but with occasional offroad ventures.

In your opinion, what is the best 4runner year and why? Also, is there a way to tell the difference in years? (or maybe, more specifically, a site that lists the years with the differences?)

Thanks!

Kevin
77 FJ40 2F and....???

I'll take a rust free 89 with a complete LC Engineering 22RET and an SAS please. :) :)

acording to the last rag mag i bought . the 84 and85 model 4runners are the best for wheeling slash daily drive due to it haveing the solid front dif , It can handle 35s with no problems. andit leaf springs all the way around it . there was a turbo option on them also i beleve.

WckedMidas said:
there was a turbo option on them also i beleve.

Turbos were only available on 86-87 4Runners and they only came with automatic transmissions. From the above posts that doesn't really sound like what AspenFJ40 needs anyway.

I'd tend to favor the 3rd Gen. 4Runner over the FZJ80 in this case due to the smaller size, lighter weight, and WAY better gas mileage. 80s are really nice but it doesn't really sound like the lockers and solid front axle are necessary for your purposes with this particular vehicle.

FirstToy said:
two of my favorites are the 2 dr 2nd Gen like JimL's and the original Pathfinder. Good friend had one and I think I liked it more than he did! Engine finally blew at 250,000 miles b/c of neglect otherwise it would probably still be going. He has a Taco now.
87pathfinder.jpg

Isuzu V Cross is the only 2 dr suv I can think of right now.. but do they even make it anymore?
181270_3_full.jpg

Nope they don't they only made them for like 3-4 years, then isuzu got bought out, i think :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom