Bessie's Got A Power Steering Pump Leak... Should I Just Get PS Stop Leak OR Should I Have My Mechanic Do The Repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Hi, all!

So Bessie's got a power steering pump leak...

Mechanic quoted me ≈ $600 to fix it. I've gone 3-4months with the leak. (I do want to get it fixed at some point.)
In the mean time should I buy power steering leak stop? Does it even work / does it work somewhat well?

I don't have the $600 right now to get it repaired (starting a new job next week – so I'll have the money soon).

Anyways, just wanted to see what you guys recommend.

Cheers!

– mrq

Bessie 📷

AFAC3272-853B-486D-8C89-E814E6CA2385.jpeg
155AA13E-C931-4674-A76D-D51DCA88D840-2.jpg

I stay away from 'stop leak' products of all kinds. Swelling all of the rubber in a system may have unintended consequences.

Hi, all!

Mechanic quoted me ≈ $600 to fix it. I've gone 3-4months with the leak. (I do want to get it fixed at some point.)
In the mean time should I buy power steering leak stop? Does it even work / does it work somewhat well?

I don't have the $600 right now to get it repaired (starting a new job next week – so I'll have the money soon).

Cheers!

– mrq

Bessie 📷

View attachment 2951018 View attachment 2951022

pump leak or HIGH PRESSURE LINE leak ?

i would get clarification here

Stop driving it until you can fix it properly.

Hi, all!

Cheers!

– mrq

Bessie 📷

Stop driving it until you can fix it properly.

@BILT4ME is very correct

if you don't cease driving it till you have a accurate diagnosis and repair remody all mapped out 100%

this WILL happen , and nobody wants to see this happen

serious straight talk

1647165371723.png

My high pressure side had a fitting start leaking on way to Dallas from ky. Drove 50mph in right lane from Arkansas to Dallas and took her to Dallas toyota immediately. If its high pressure, don't mess around with that, please.

@ToyotaMatt made a good point on the high pressure hose, make sure it’s just the pump before you have to drain your system more than once.

Id encourage you to try to do the repair yourself. One of the first things I did on our 80 was rebuild the leaky power steering pump. Prior to that, I really only knew how to do an oil change. With basic tools you’ll use on other parts of your rig, and a couple hours on the weekend, you can rebuild the pump you have now with Toyota parts for ~ $100 in seals and a bearing. If you’re uncomfortable taking it apart, I think you can get a brand new pump from Toyota for ~ $350.

If the high pressure hose is the issue, it’s ~ $300 from Toyota, but you can go with an aftermarket Gates like others have as well as myself for about ~$50 I think. 3 years and no issues so far.

Hi, all!

Cheers!

– mrq

Bessie 📷

if it is after confirm and verify solid diagnosis ?

i can help here please PM me see links below too

i offer super high quality reproduction high pressure lines / hoses for both the 3FE and 1FZ-FE 80 series made here in-house at the SKUNK-WORKS Laboratory on-site

please let me know if i can help in any way

and listen to the good and skilled advise here in you thread from others , we are a community that all looks out for each other in any way we can .........:)

1647188996643.png

1647189013746.png

1647189043325.png

1647189059004.png

@mrq If you're going to work on the system, even if they are not the issue, it's a good idea to replace all the hoses if you haven't already.

REIN brand High pressure hose from Rockauto- this hose is an exact replica of the OEM hose, in fact it is so identical that I'm convinced they may be the OEM supplier. Other hoses, such as the ones from Gates, EDELMANN, FVP and Sunsong, use a different wrench size on the fitting, don't include the bracket, have a different kind of sheath, and have other cosmetic differences. In fact, all of the brands offered by RockAuto other than the REIN appear to be the exact same part, probably manufactured on the same line by the same supplier, so if you don't value the similarities to OEM that the REIN hose offers, pick the lowest priced one. They have been used on many trucks with no issues that I'm aware of.

For any of the return lines- make sure you use hose rated for hydraulic oil. Heater hose will not work long term.

FWIW I composed this message before @ToyotaMatt replied, and I'm not trying to steer anyone away from any supporting vendors.

Last edited:
...using something like Lucas PS stop leak won't hurt anything because you will be replacing the affected parts eventually.
Well, I suppose if you're replacing the steering box along with the pump and all the hoses, that's true.

Hi, all!
Yes, it usually works OK. I've used it in my 1990 4Runner.

Small leak on gearbox turned into a bigger leak after a couple of wheeling trips. Probably need to get it scheduled for repairs. Mine is down waiting on shop time.

Hi, all!

Cheers!

– mrq

Bessie 📷

If it's a pump leak, it's most likely the rear seal (O-ring). The cost will be a quart of ATF ($6) (Dexron Type IV, because II & III are NLA), the O-ring ($3) (or the entire overhaul kit = $60), and TWO crush washers ($5). The problem is you need an air impact to remove the gear, once you remove the pump (two bolts and the hoses). If you have one, or know someone who does (it's a 15 second job), you're in business. You do not need the air impact to reassemble.

$600 is typical for this 1-hour job. It's criminally high.

Handle the pump vane gear with kid gloves. You do not want to mar it, nick it. Else you will run into noise issues, may mess up the oil pump gear and the crank gear which would require a head removal. Even the replacement may come with imperfections as Toyota does not package them up very well (plastic wrap in a thin cardboard box).

Gl!

Mine's been leaking since I got it. I've just been topping it off, no big deal but I do wanna get around to a new low pressure hose and pump seals in the near future.

If it's a pump leak, it's most likely the rear seal (O-ring). The cost will be a quart of ATF ($6) (Dexron Type IV, because II & III are NLA), the O-ring ($3) (or the entire overhaul kit = $60), and TWO crush washers ($5). The problem is you need an air impact to remove the gear, once you remove the pump (two bolts and the hoses). If you have one, or know someone who does (it's a 15 second job), you're in business. You do not need the air impact to reassemble.

$600 is typical for this 1-hour job. It's criminally high.
Agreed.
I keep a rebuilt pump in my trail spares kit. Costs about $40.00 and 60 minutes to repair, all said.
Be extra careful of the gear. I wrap it in a layer of leather and hold it in a curved jaw pipe vise.
Be gentle with the shaft seal. I use the Gates 348407 kit ($18.00). Cleanliness is key.
I have used the NAPA hoses 7-2928 and the Gates 365550 hoses over the years.
The steering box is a bit more involved. It is difficult to remove the steering pitman arm. I do it with the box bolted to the frame.
After that: don't loose or drop the balls and be patient with the white nylon piston rings. I have ruined a few installing them.
Fortunately the Gates 348437 rebuild kit is only $28.00. It takes me an afternoon to complete.
I pick these cores up at a pull and save yard to have them rebuilt and standing by.
The pumps last about 70K for me, much less on my trail rig. The gear boxes go +200K, regardless.
Thank St. Arnold of Soissons it's not a Land Rover, which pisses itself just sitting there!
Have fun!
left_arrow_white.png
Continue Shopping

SteeringPump.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom