Help with Leak Origins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 Land Cruiser, 1FZ-FE

First: I am attempting to stop my cruiser from leaking. It appears to be leaking from the area around the power steering pump and the power steering gearbox. BUT the fluid is not red ATF like what is in the reservoir. It looks like engine oil as it accumulates into drips. The pump doesn’t whine, I have replaced the low pressure lines and they aren’t leaking anymore. I put fluid in the reservoir after I changed the lines and the level stays the same.

Is there a seal between the PS pump and the oil pump? Is this where one of my oil leaks could be originating?

PS- the front oil pump seal, crank seal and distributor o-ring have already been done and show no signs of leaking.

IMG_3690.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg

Yes, I did the valve cover gasket and spark plug grommets shortly after i first bought it. No new leaks around the valve cover.

I’m scraping and cleaning all the years of dirt/oil around the lower oil pan now. Seems to be damp around the oil level sensor and oil dipstick tube.

I also pulled the inspection cover for the rear main seal and it’s ever so slightly wet.

As already mentioned, wash that area off well then look for the leak to appear after running the engine a few minutes. IME regular car wash soap is good enough and doesn't damage paint or rubber bits.

The wetness at the bellhousing inspection port IME more often is from the upper oil pan rear arch versus the rear main seal (they're very close to each other and a leak in either ends up dripping off the bottom front of the bellhousing)

Oil pump cover O-ring could be leaking again if it got pinched during
the repair. Rarely oil can leak from the timing chain cover where it mates to the block.

Also already mentioned, there's a large O-ring at the front of the PS pump where it bolts to the engine which can cause an oil leak if it goes bad:

FZJ80 Power Steering pump front O-ring.jpg

Photo grabbed from Flintknapper's PS pump rebuild posts:

Last edited:
Both the oil level sensor and the dipstick have gaskets/orings that could be replaced. I don't think that probably has anything to do with the leak you are chasing though.

Thanks for all the tips and taking the time to chime in. I’m new to FZJ80 and need all the helpful info I can get. I’ll do some more deep cleaning then monitor a little closer. 🙏

17018CF2-90C6-466B-A73D-99FCB811C22C.jpeg
IMG_3734.jpeg

There's a thin steel crush-type gasket that seals the main oil port for the (engine) oil pump in the timing cover. If that somehow was forgotten or someone used FIPG instead, that might be another leak source, but it doesn't seem to be a common leak area.

IME after washing everything off well and watching for the leak you'll find it (tip: don't drown your distributor, there are a few breather holes that are wide open in the housing). Same for the spark plug tubes, avoid washing the top of the valve cover.

Link to discussion about timing chain cover leaks:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom