Before I open the can of worms.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, the compression on these is supposed to be done on a warm engine.

I did mine cold and got similar numbers and I have no issues on my DD. I burn no oil between changes and have great power.

If the FSM procedure was not followed exactly, then it may appear incorrect.

Took the front driveshaft off, Ujoints seem good can't see anything wrong with it. Forgot to lock the center diff and it started rolling down my driveway, almost ran me over haha. :doh: Still has the roughness under acceleration, going to pull the plugs & inspect the cylinders and also change the oil this weekend.

Might as well do the fuel filter. If you have issues at acceleration, that will suggest higher fuel flow, a restrictive filter (or maybe but less likely fuel sock in tank) could play a part.

My knee jerk reaction is to think it could be a U joint. Sometimes they seem fine in hand. Removing one at a time with the CDL in is perhaps the easiest method for those that havent dealt with it too much.

Hows your tire wear? Rotated recently?

Pro tip: try and put the tires with the least weight in the front ( I know we have to rotate them) but if you loose a weight they will be less out of balance and carry less vibration. If you balance 5 new tires, keep the worst for the spare, and if they have some miles on them, make sure you pull as much gravel (if somewhat larger) out of the tread/siping..

Might as well do the fuel filter. If you have issues at acceleration, that will suggest higher fuel flow, a restrictive filter (or maybe but less likely fuel sock in tank) could play a part.

My knee jerk reaction is to think it could be a U joint. Sometimes they seem fine in hand. Removing one at a time with the CDL in is perhaps the easiest method for those that havent dealt with it too much.

Hows your tire wear? Rotated recently?
Did the fuel filter last year. Tires are in great shape, after the oil change im gunna just take it in and have them rebalanced anyway, probably do a alignment as well.

I had similar symptoms; I was sure it was a misfire.

I was wrong - it was u-joints. Check those first.

Did the fuel filter last year. Tires are in great shape, after the oil change im gunna just take it in and have them rebalanced anyway, probably do a alignment as well.

Ya know, I'm thinking odds are: tires are fine. Its just an "eliminator" to narrow things down.

If its easy enough to do driveshafts first.. Then absolutely do that first. Pull the front. Drive. Reinstall front and remove rear. Drive..

Seen U joints that are only a year or two old on a non DD 60 series that failed and caused the same issues.

Also, for sh!ts and giggles, check the play on your pinion flanges after you drop the driveshafts. Just by hand is enough, and a pinch of play is not uncommon sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom