Been a While, So heres whats New. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
New OEM Short block
New Head
Rebuilt Supercharger
new Header back 3 in SS custom Exhaust, got tired of constantly patching,repairing 21/2in SS exhaust I got 2 years ago.
And briefly (2000) miles Ran yokohamas mud tires, and saturday had 5 mud grapplers put back on.
She is Again Rolling like a freight train

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Before Anyone asks I had to retube One of the headers tubes to clear the supercharger, and a custom heat shield was made to protect the entirety on the SC

And heres a couple more small things I have been utterly unsuccessful at breaking Land Cruiser Phils rear swaybar links, when I was regularly snapping my prior 3 pr of heavy duty links
Bought a new set of dobinsons resovoir shocks hyper adjustable and their stabilizer shock with reservoir, but just cant let go of my freshly rebuilt Kings.
other than that doing the usual

DJI_0592_Moment(4).jpg

What was the problem with the Yokohama's?

Nice to see you back in action!

I see your point with the tires not clearing for the mud.

That's one of the issues I've seen with the LC in general is that we have a hard time gaining enough wheel speed to clear the tires for adequate "mudding", I think hence the term "IH8MUD".....

I grew up on the farm in Iowa and only ever had mud to deal with (no place to rock crawl) and wheel speed was key. So, you had to look at tread patterns that would self clear. Tractor tires are great for that but are incredibly noisy and rough on the highway, and they are not made for that kind of speed (I actually looked at installing skidloader tires on my truck)

The 23° tread pattern is ideal for clearing mud while rotating and grabbing another lugful as it goes around. Some tread designs don't work as well. The BFG KO2's were not popular in that area because they didn't clear the tread either. That's why I ended up with Duratracs for my use.

The fact that you had enough time and footage of previous runs that you could do a direct comparison is something I've always wanted to do, but time and conditions vary.

Yes, there are a few variables here that could have made a difference (you were traveling the other direction in the first video and it appears to be slightly downhill vs slightly uphill just my opinion, you were there)

What's undeniable is that on nearly new tires, they clogged up and became slicks quickly.

Nice work!

I'll check out more of your videos.

You're not locked in the front?

I love my nitto's, but I got to say I don't think the video is a fair comparison. In my experience when driving in the mud, even the slightest uphill incline makes a big difference. At the end of the video during the summer, the cruiser appears to be going downhill torwards the creek with the nitto's. When the cruiser is running the Yoko's in the winter it seems the cruiser is now going uphill away from the creek. I personally would expect the change in direction to more than account for the difference in the cruisers performance.

That being said I still love my nitto's and this video was done well and very entertaining.

Keep it up RFB

Last edited:
I love my nitto's, but I got to say I don't think the video is a fair comparison. In my experience when driving in the mud, even the slightest uphill incline makes a big difference. At the end of the video during the summer, the cruiser appears to be going downhill torwards the creek with the nitto's. When the cruiser is running the Yoko's in the winter it seems the cruiser is now going uphill away from the creek. I personally would expect the change in direction to more than account for the difference in the cruisers performance.

That being said I still love my nitto's and this video was done well and very entertaining.

Keep it up RFB
the video was taken at EXact same place with no lockers on both times, and with the yokos it was actually a heck of a lot dryer, not gonna get a fairer comparison.

You're not locked in the front?
I wanted the video to be fair, I didnt use lockers with nittos, so I didnt lock up with yokos, very very rare I use lockers usually when crawling.

Nice to see you back in action!

I see your point with the tires not clearing for the mud.

That's one of the issues I've seen with the LC in general is that we have a hard time gaining enough wheel speed to clear the tires for adequate "mudding", I think hence the term "IH8MUD".....

I grew up on the farm in Iowa and only ever had mud to deal with (no place to rock crawl) and wheel speed was key. So, you had to look at tread patterns that would self clear. Tractor tires are great for that but are incredibly noisy and rough on the highway, and they are not made for that kind of speed (I actually looked at installing skidloader tires on my truck)

The 23° tread pattern is ideal for clearing mud while rotating and grabbing another lugful as it goes around. Some tread designs don't work as well. The BFG KO2's were not popular in that area because they didn't clear the tread either. That's why I ended up with Duratracs for my use.

The fact that you had enough time and footage of previous runs that you could do a direct comparison is something I've always wanted to do, but time and conditions vary.

Yes, there are a few variables here that could have made a difference (you were traveling the other direction in the first video and it appears to be slightly downhill vs slightly uphill just my opinion, you were there)

What's undeniable is that on nearly new tires, they clogged up and became slicks quickly.

Nice work!

I'll check out more of your videos.
Thanks, Actually I never stopped just kind of gave up on Mud and missed it, so Here I am Fire away. lol

New OEM Short block
New Head
Rebuilt Supercharger
new Header back 3 in SS custom Exhaust, got tired of constantly patching,repairing 21/2in SS exhaust I got 2 years ago.
And briefly (2000) miles Ran yokohamas mud tires, and saturday had 5 mud grapplers put back on.
She is Again Rolling like a freight train

View attachment 2593145

View attachment 2593146

View attachment 2593147

View attachment 2593148
So when can we see pics of this all put together under the hood?

its been done and I drove it from AZ back to ma. where shes sat for almost 2m onths Im packing her up now to get the F^%$ out of massachusetts

I wanted the video to be fair, I didnt use lockers with nittos, so I didnt lock up with yokos, very very rare I use lockers usually when crawling.

Understand. Makes sense to me now.

Reactions: RFB
Thanks for taking the time to do the video. You do great video shots and angles, it was cool seeing the tire change as your kind of creating a story, and you put a lot of work into setting up and taking down cameras, you probably don’t get acknowledgement for all the work put into that.

Only criticism is that you seemed to be sitting on the diffs in the mud, and there is a fairly obvious “trench” drawn out behind your 80 in the video.

Not sure any tire is gonna perform when your sitting on the diffs, but I’ll take your word on your disappointment.

I’m currently (but not for long) on the older style geolanders and was on mud grapplers before that.

@RFB:

Have you ever accidentally run over one or more of your cameras? You seem to have a lot of them for each shoot and that is a lot of setup tear down time, and it makes for multiple runs through the same area.

@RFB:

Have you ever accidentally run over one or more of your cameras? You seem to have a lot of them for each shoot and that is a lot of setup tear down time, and it makes for multiple runs through the same area.
yes, often actually gopros are pretty tough but a canon eos R6 or 5 wont take the hit, ask how I know.

I have to clean her today road salt in the nany state is bad I snap some pics then

I knew it would. Sad how few offroad videos get, while asian chick covering rush gets 5million. lol
Your videos are great, if you could just find a good looking women to dress scantily and make appearances in the videos than I bet you could double or triple your views....👙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom