Beef Jerky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

T,

Texas Beef Jerky Recipe

I've tried this recipe and liked it pretty good for a dehydrator-less process. I like cracked pepper better than the regular ground pepper and then I changed it up completely and marinated some flank steak in OJ, ginger, wasabi powder, and teriyaki sauce before freezing it per the recipe.. It is a nice change and just add more wasabi for more heat, or add a crushed red pepper or two to the marinade.

Enjoy

The Alton Brown method is worth a try if youve never tried it. Types of meat and directions in these links: part 1 Good Eats - S09E03P01 - Urban Preservation II - The Jerky - YouTube and part 2 Good Eats - S09E03P02 - Urban Preservation II - The Jerky - YouTube No heat invovled. The texture without heat is completely different than what I was used to. Some people love it and some hate it.

Personally, I prefer the dryness, texture, and toughness of dehydrator jerky.

My favorite overnight marinade is Frank's Redhot with crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper.

Last edited:
I've made plenty of jerky over the years...but most often I just don't have the time it takes to do decent size batches in our home kitchen.

Riley's, in Greenville, California, is my go-to jerky when not making my own: Riley's Jerky

Old fashioned style jerky without artificial additives. Their jalapeno beef jerky is just killer. If you like the moist, almost melt in your mouth & syrupy stuff that Costco sells...you won't like Riley's ;) OTOH...:)

@spressomon For store bought jerky Virginia City Jerky Co. makes a pretty good product. And as long as your up there you might as well enjoy one of their BBQ sandwiches.

I made jerky a couple of times, I like a simple brine and some black pepper.

My Little Chief smoker worked great for drying, with or without smoke.

When I make jerky I like to grind my meat with the seasoning. Than I use the jerky cannon to shoot it. I have had the best luck with Hi Mountain jerky mix. It comes with the cure and the seasoning. If you have an electric smoker you are able to keep the temps down. So you can dry the meat instead of cook it. I still prefer the dehydrator but have done it both way's.
DSC00066.jpg
DSC00072.jpg
DSC00092.jpg

Oh, I remember now post 8 pic 2 bowl on left was all smoked, bowl on right was all dehydrated. :beer:

I might have to try the ground meat method sometime. All I eat is the super low fat hamburger so it's pretty dry once you cook it anyway. :rolleyes:

Start with the right choice of meat. Many people like flank steak because it has less fat, although ground beef can be easier. The leaner the better, because you'll end up removing as much fat and oil as possible for long-term storage.

There are thousands of recipes for beef jerky. Consider the world your oyster. We make everything from dried BBQ sauce powder to candied jalapenos in our dehydrator, and use them to make jerky as well!

Start with fairly thick rump and cut into strips about an inch wide. I like a bit of fat on it too. Dip in vinegar and sprinle with crushed coriander, salt and pepper. Hang in a cool dry place with good airflow (or build a simple box with a couple of computer fans like I did). Make sure the ants or flies cannot get to it. After about 10 days the outside will be black and fairly hard, and the inside still soft with a red tint when sliced thinly. It's called biltong, try it and you will never eat jerky again. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom