bedliner options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what are some good liner options for the interior of my fj40? does the spray can rustoleum brand hold up? i want something i can spray, brush or roll on myself to save some money. any suggestions on what anyone has tried in the past. good or bad. thanks

They are all pretty good and should give acceptable results. The most important thing and what will give the best results is the prep work prior to application. Short cuts here will yield poor results later. ;p

I used upol raptor on mine. Cost 100 bucks and I really like how it turned out. It's a spray in.
image-636404576.jpg
image-2572324199.jpg

I did the Duraback after hours of prep, POR, etc. It has held up well and looks good but I regret it because, although mine wasn't pristine, I wish I would have just stuck with matching paint. Now if I ever want to go back I'm in for another twenty hours of grief to try and remove it, if ever.
104_3095.jpg

The Upol kit comes in black and also a timetable kit to match your factory or other paint options if you don't want black.

what are the steps to the prep? it has an old liner that is peeling up in sheets. i will remove all that but then what? do i sand the bed down and put down a primer coat?

I would remove as much, if not all, of the old liner as possible. Old liner is hard to blend in with new and is probably contaminated with stuff that will make adhesion difficult if not impossible. If it's peeling now it probably wasn't prepped properly and more will start to peel when you least need it to. You can probably remove the old liner with a putty knife.
Throughly sand the area trying not to burn thru to bare metal. People sometimes shortcut this step because it's a pain in the a** , but it's the most important step. next wipe the area down with a good grease and wax remover (available at paint stores) then mask any areas you don't want the liner to stick to, prime any bare metal and let it dry completely. lightly skuff the new primer with scotchbrite pad, then re-apply the liner. Be sure and follow the mfg. instructions on the kit.
Shouldn't be any major problems, it just takes time and effort.
Remember, shortcut and you will eventually regret it. ;)

I think I am going with Durabak, comes in colors and is reasonable priced even in colors. DO NOT USE HERCULINER, goes on good holds up very well to wear and tear, but even with their UV protector on there it like evaporates in the sun. I can now see paint through it on my CJ8. The rubber chunks are still their, but the rubber between them is slowly disintegrating. Not peeling, more like turning to dust and disappearing.

As for the prep, clean it read good with the wax and oil remover BEFORE you sand, then again after. You do not want to be sanding it down into the scratches you make with the sand paper.

Check out monstaliner....I've heard nothing but good about this product and its a roll on. It's what I bought and will be putting on this spring. Do a coupon search, I think they are running a promotion through pirate 4x4 right now.

http://monstaliner.com/

Check out monstaliner....I've heard nothing but good about this product and its a roll on.

http://monstaliner.com/

I'm going to do color-matched monstaliner only on the flat floor portions. The paint on the fenders and insides of the rockers is good enough as it is. My floor is very rusty though, especially in the back. Got some really big holes in the back of the quarters to weld up first.

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing the same. I used coupon code I found on pirate 4x4 and got free shipping and a free qt of their anti rust bedliner undercoat. Saved me about $50...

thanks for all the info. I will look into these liner brands. the monstaliner does look like a good one on there website

i havnt had any luck finding a promo code yet. if anyone finds one for the monsta liner let me know. it would be helpful to save some $ on it.

These are the codes I used. Not sure if they will still work as the promo has expired. Worth a shot though.

Free Chassis Saver Code: FREECSQ (You have to have the Chassis saver in your cart)
Free Shipping Code: FREESHIP

I just want to report that the codes are still active. I just ordered them and got the free quart and shipping. You will need to register on the site and then add the quart of chassis saver to your cart. Then proceed to checkout and apply both coupon codes to get the discount. I saved $54. Sweet deal.

I used Monstaliner and love it. As said, it rolls on and leaves a rippled finish. That way, you can clean it up. That is a major problem with the rougher types of bedliner. Good prep is the key. Monstaliner has prep instructions that they send to you with the product. I think it is on their website as well. Basically, it was wipe the surface down with MEK. Then roughen up the surface. And finally wipe down with MEK again. You don't want any oil or grease underneath the liner.

Here is a pic of my 42 with Monstaliner. I put it down almost 2 years ago, and it has held up great.

IMG_20110529_154501.jpg

On a side note, I have also used their Chassis saver paint. It is basically just like POR 15. It creates a hard, durable surface. I put it on a rusty oil pan. I then painted over the chassis saver paint. I've scraped off plenty of the topcoat, but the chassis saver hasn't chipped or anything. Another thumbs up for that product.

A thumbs down goes to Herculiner. I used that on my 40 and hate it. I would not recommend it.

:cheers:

I think I am going with Durabak, comes in colors and is reasonable priced even in colors. DO NOT USE HERCULINER, goes on good holds up very well to wear and tear, but even with their UV protector on there it like evaporates in the sun. I can now see paint through it on my CJ8. The rubber chunks are still their, but the rubber between them is slowly disintegrating. Not peeling, more like turning to dust and disappearing.

The durabak is a good product and sprayed on well. A friend gave me the gun that came with his Raptor which he was very happy with by the way. In retrospect I would have gone with the tintable Raptor and matched my mustard paint. I have one spot that is showing wear where I rub it constantly by the gas pedal. Prep prep prep... Good luck!

Was the single gal kit of monstaliner enough to so the entire inside of the 40?

Yes. I bought the gallon kit. I used almost all of it doing the tub to the firewall. However, I didn't go up the sides of the tub or do the rear doors. If I remember right, I didn't have a lot left over (it was 2 years ago). You can always buy an extra quart if you are worried about it.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom