Battery Draining overnight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I need some guidance from those smarter than me. Truck is a 1997, and I put a new Optima Red Top in it 4 months ago. As of 3 months ago, if the truck sits for more than. A few days, the battery is completely dead. It has gotten to the point where if the truck sits for 30 min it needs a jump. I know part of that is related to the now-damaged battery, but I don't just want to thump a new battery in and repeat all this.

I don't know where to start to find whatever vampirism load I have. The lights aren't on, the radio shuts off when the truck does. No aftermarket lights or anything, and I don't see anything obviously aftermarket and electrical outside of a double-DIN radio. Where would you start?

I've only owned the truck since May, if it matters.

Thanks all!

No alarm?
Has an alarm that goes off when I put juice back to it. I generally leave it bypassed anymore, with the red light on the dash to the left of the wheel. I think it's stock?

Fully charge the battery then disconnect it completely and measure the voltage over time. It it goes dead/low you know its a bad battery. If not then its time to measure current draw circuit by circuit until you find one that has excessive amperage.

Fully charge the battery then disconnect it completely and measure the voltage over time. It it goes dead/low you know its a bad battery. If not then its time to measure current draw circuit by circuit until you find one that has excessive amperage.
Ok, thanks. I have a scanguage as well and I've been using it recently with the truck running. I'm still getting 14.5ish volts with the engine on, so I think the alternator is still ok...?

Things plugged in to OBDII can have some draw but i doubt your scanguage has that much pull. You can find a good ground and then take voltage on each side of each fuse and see if you see a difference. its sort of like using the fuse as a shunt (for amp meter) and if one side of the fuse has lower voltage than the other then you have some draw on the circuit.

Things plugged in to OBDII can have some draw but i doubt your scanguage has that much pull. You can find a good ground and then take voltage on each side of each fuse and see if you see a difference. its sort of like using the fuse as a shunt (for amp meter) and if one side of the fuse has lower voltage than the other then you have some draw on the circuit.
Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a go as well.

Has a toggle switch in the wheel well on the left side. Flip it forward and it is bypassed.

I don't think that switch is doing what you think it's doing. I believe it's a valet mode switch. The alarm brain is still entirely connected and drawing power.

It's probably your alarm. It almost always is. But you can use a multimeter in ammeter mode to narrow down the circuit that's drawing power.

My bets on a bad red top Optima. They are not the batteries they once were. Run it and put a meter on the batt posts to read voltage. Should be 14+. I would get the battery tested or charge it up and monitor how much it drops. I use costco rv deep cycles in all my trucks. They work great and can sit for awhile. When they die I usually get some type of credit when I trade em in. Good luck.

My bet's on a bad RS3000 alarm system. Rip it out by the roots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom