Battery charger / starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got kids now, so I don't get to drive my BJ42 as much as I'd like. I never fully chased down the electrical gremlin that slowly drains my battery, but now we have a situation where the battery is frequently found dead, and occasionally VERY dead to the point that these new fangled "smart chargers" won't even start to charge it.

Two questions...

1) Does anyone know of a GOOD battery charger that will actually charge a dead-dead battery?

2) Alternatively or in addition, can anyone recommend an engine starter that will actually start a 3B? I have never found one that will supply enough current to date, but I haven't tried very hard - how much current should I be looking for?

There's several NOCO genius chargers that can be left on the truck all the time to prevent your battery drain problem. Some of them also have advanced battery repair functions.
I haven't found a 120 to 12 charger either that can start my truck, unless it's one of those large industrial ones on a cart...

Good ideas.
Also a solar charger just sitting in the sun all day long.
Drove my 3b 70 after loosing my alternator from the Arctic Circle using a large solar panel propped up in the passenger seat.
Just might help till you figure things out.

I recently asked a similar question in the Tool forum: Battery Charger and/or Tester Recommendations?

A few (myself included) recommend battery tenders on vehicles that sit for extended periods. That definitely helps as a fully discharged battery can be damaged by going too low - particularly in freezing weather. For me, the decision is still out on the charger/starter options.

I've been using Pulsetech products (chargers, splitters and analysers) for a number of years now with great results. I have their Xtreme charge XC-PARALLEL charger on (24/7 when not in use) my (12v two battery 3B) BJ60 taking care of its two Northstar AGM ($$$$$) batteries and after about 4years now the batteries both test out at 100%.
The US military use their products to maintain and manage their countless vehicle and utility batteries with great success, so I have confidence in them.

A dead battery will probably never return back to normal, below 80% charge is "damage"
I had a battery one time that reversed polarity in a 24v setup, was drained dead, shocked it back to normal with a full battery but it never recovered and I have no idea how that was possible.
To jump start a diesel a normal clamp will not be enough, heavy industrial expensive wire and clamps with a stiff spring might do it but the best is a bolt connection.
Some time to let the cable transfer some amps is the best way I think.

I stopped charging with trickle stuff, a (diesel) battery needs at least 7 amps charge to be happy, I now charge it for 2 hours a day on a timer with a 24 volt wheel chair charger set to 8 amps for 90 amp batteries, that is an intelligent charger but still I stopped it 24/7, I don't care if the battery drains a bit to 12.3v
Also a friend bought some old skool frying 12/24v 100 amp start/charge devices and I got one, those are never to be left aone for a long time! they will keep beating full charge into the battery as they do not monitor. I was looking for a fuse for it and with 30 amp fuse it still created a lot of sparks before cutting out.

Also all batteries are sold as maintenance free but that is a false claim, some can be hacksaw opened and you find they miss a lot of liquid, I rather not buy maintenance free anymore, just the regular screw cap is better for me.
But I charge while driving at 15.1V because even with new 25amp original alternator it dips to 14.4 v or lower when using evrything like fan blower, lights, wipers.
With 6+6 cells in 24v that is 12 cells, 2 volt per cell, =24v, but charging new big batteries can handle more than 35 years ago, so 30v/12cells =2.5 volt per cell.
In cold weather a bit overcharging is normal as any charger with AGM setting does the same in winter setting.

Last edited:
I've got kids now, so I don't get to drive my BJ42 as much as I'd like. I never fully chased down the electrical gremlin that slowly drains my battery, but now we have a situation where the battery is frequently found dead, and occasionally VERY dead to the point that these new fangled "smart chargers" won't even start to charge it.

Two questions...

1) Does anyone know of a GOOD battery charger that will actually charge a dead-dead battery?

2) Alternatively or in addition, can anyone recommend an engine starter that will actually start a 3B? I have never found one that will supply enough current to date, but I haven't tried very hard - how much current should I be looking for?
I had a "smart charger" quit charging on me a few years ago. I remove the cover and found the wire coming out of the transformer was still putting out about 14 volts. I wired direct from that transformer output to the positive charge cable cutting out all the previous circuitry in between. I then had a dumb charger that always put out 14 volts no matter whether the battery was completely full completely dead or even reverse polarity. It has its good uses, and potential problems.....2 dumb 12 volt chargers like this can be hooked up in series and charge a 24 volt battery system also.

I use CTEK chargers, very happy with them. For jumping I have both a Noco GB70 and GB150. The GB70 has jump started both my HDJ80 and VDJ200 with ease. It even started my HDJ80 just by itself without a battery connected. I always bring the GB70 with me when I leave the house. Nice to have peace of mind knowing that you won’t get stranded with a dead battery.

To jump start a diesel a normal clamp will not be enough, heavy industrial expensive wire and clamps with a stiff spring might do it but the best is a bolt connection.
Some time to let the cable transfer some amps is the best way I think.

We use one of these at work to jump Class 8 tractors: Start•All® Jump•Pack™ 5000A • 66000 joules5S• 12V - Vanair

It will start a truck with a completely dead battery, but they have a 10K amp version if you don't think that is enough: Start•All® Jump•Pack™ 10,000A • 133200 joules5S • 12V - Vanair

They also have a 2500A version that should be more than enough for light and medium duty engines: Start•All® Jump•Pack™ 2500A • 12V • 18800 joules3S - Vanair

Yup those NOCO jump starters are of good quality and seem to last

We've had guys laugh at us when we pull it out to bring a dead tractor back to the shop - we just smile and wave as it cranks right up and we drive it away.
:steer:

I have couple of cteks, one for the bike and one for the big stuff. One is 15 years old and the other is 10 years old and they both work like the day I bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom