Battery cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching to find out how long the battery cables are . I need to replace mine . Can someone tell me how long they are ? I need to order the stuff to make a set .

I make all my own out of bigger cable than stock, but do not know the lengths as people might like different lengths.

Sent from my SM-G920V

That's what I'm wanting to do . I figured I just make them a little longer than the stock cables. Looked them up at advance auto and it said the negative cable was 53 in long to me that seems to be way to long but I've never had them off so I don't know.

I would go visit the local welding shop and purchase several feet of cable, purchase the lugs and military spec battery ends then crimp and solder shrink wrap.
Keep in mind there is a difference in lugs, some are all copper and somewhat thin, the others are plated and thicker.

There is a member on here who makes a hell of a set of cables however you want.
I bought a set a while back and was VERY impressed with the product I received.
Try sending a PM to @Fourrunner (Mark) He will have what you need.

I make my own cables with all of the stuff I have here. Don't make it the same length as stock, it's annoying. Remove your old cables and add some length to aid in flexibility and accessibility. It's also prime time to consider a pos/neg distribution bus when building the cables. It will save you a lot of heartache later on down the road.

I was thinking about 6in longer than stock. Haven't thought about a distribution bus . I've got the military spec battery ends the tool to crimp the ends solder and shrink tube . I have lugs just don't know if I have the right size lugs still searching for that . I know I've read it here somewhere

OK great I have 3/8 and 5/16 crimp lugs guess all I need is some cable. Guess I'll just try and get a ruff measurement and go get it

Just ordered 25 foot of some 1/0 awg got everything else. Guess I'll have some left for something else. Now do I solder the ends or crimp . I like soldering but crimping is faster.

Just ordered 25 foot of some 1/0 awg got everything else. Guess I'll have some left for something else. Now do I solder the ends or crimp . I like soldering but crimping is faster.

Holy s*** man, 1/O cable handles something like 200amps!!! Our alternator puts out, what like 85 amps? Winch cable, maybe but for POS and NEG batt cable, holy overkill batman, LOL!!!!

crimp AND solder makes the best connection

A GOOD crimp is all you need or want. A good crimp would be with a hydraulic crimp tool - not the s***ty wack-a-mole hammer things you buy for $20...

cheers,
george.

GenuineDealz has the best marine cable I've found and for the best price. I have tons of their 1/0 now for one of my Wits' End projects.

I would also suggest marine cable. I've used welding cable in the past, and over time it tends to wick moisture into the cable. Marine cable uses tinned wires that won't tarnish like copper will. Marine cable along with crimp connections.

Not sure you need a hydraulic crimper though. I borrow a big Bluepoint crimper from my friend that does a great job. When I say big, think bolt cutter big. However, not a $20 tool either.

A GOOD crimp is all you need or want. A good crimp would be with a hydraulic crimp tool - not the s***ty wack-a-mole hammer things you buy for $20...

cheers,
george.

Correct...but if you don't have a hydraulic press and expensive crimp fittings, whack it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom