Battery and Brake dash lights coming on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1985 22re 4runner 5spd. The brake and Battery lights in the cluster are coming on intermittently.
Seems to come on with RPMS and bouncing but only sometimes and not on every drive.
Recently replaced the alternator a week or so ago. Battery light had come on and the alternator was testing bad.
I have not bothered testing the new alternator yet, just havent made the time.
Thought Id post here in case anyone of ya have encountered a similar situation.

Usually when both the brake and battery lights come on you are not charging. In other words, alternator.

On the older ones is the voltage regulator separate from the alternator?

FWIW I got this with a wonky negative battery cable that was making intermittent connection

FWIW I got this with a wonky negative battery cable that was making intermittent connection
What Grant said. Grounds, grounds, grounds. You have at least two to the engine, plus the battery ground. Make sure they are attached, and clean.

Thanks guys. I'll check the grounds and test the new alternator again. Might just be a bad new Alt as well.

Thanks guys. I'll check the grounds and test the new alternator again. Might just be a bad new Alt as well.
Any resolution? Did you find your problem? I have the same issue on my '86. I checked all the grounds, removed and cleaned with contact cleaner and retightened (all were fine), no luck.

Any resolution? Did you find your problem? I have the same issue on my '86. I checked all the grounds, removed and cleaned with contact cleaner and retightened (all were fine), no luck.
No pinpoint resolution. But whatever I did did something. It’s one of the grounds but I’m not sure which one. I checked all the ground for looseness, and couldn’t find anything wrong.
The lights aren’t coming on though so next time I’ll check one at a time to see what made the difference. I want to redo all the battery cables and grounds soon at the moment I’m not too concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom