Batteries? Alternator?? Or something else??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE:

So, I got the below message from the alternator shop:

Hey Mot !! Just received your alternator. It doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary. the only thing is, this is a slightly smaller version. original is 60 amps. and on the high output version we can only go to 120 amps.

HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!! :) There is an updated version which uses the same bracket alignments. only difference is that is slightly fatter about an inch. but im sure it will fit just fine. and we can make it up to 150 amps.

So, I've asked them to send me the pics, as I don't quite grasp what they mean by slightly "fatter". But if they think it'll work then it should.

I'll post up the pics when I receive them and ask for your opinion as to whether you think it'll work or not.

And it's pretty cool to see how excited these guys are about my little alternator!

Others have has success using the 'fatter case' and I'd likely choose one if I ever needed a new alternator. I remember thinking that I'd never be able to swap brushes in-situ again but that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Please let us know how you make out.

Fatter is probably just referring to the width of the alternator housing. It won't be much and should make no difference to fitting it as long as all the other mounts are at the same dimensions and the pulley is in exactly the same position relative to the mounts.
That's good to know!

Please let us know how you make out.
I'm kind of a private person, but if you must know I can PM you. :hillbilly:

Seriously, I'm excited that the guys at the alternator shop are excited!

I hope I can make out OK (still :flipoff2:) and hoping to send a little more business their way if this turns out to be a successful upgrade/modification option for the HDJ/HZJ-ers, as well other cruiserheads.

150-ish amps would be nice to have and would be a significant upgrade from the stock unit.

We shall see...

150-ish amps would be nice to have and would be a significant upgrade from the stock unit.

how much will be the final key ..

I've got room for 150 amps. But they'd need to be at 24V for me. I always figured I'd have the local sparky do it when the time came. He's getting on in age, so maybe I better get mine done before it needs doing. Even 80 amps @ 24V would be sweet.

Hahah yes, especially since our HJs generally have very low-amp alts...what is it, like 25 amps or something? Still 25 AMP at 24V goes a long way.

80 AMPS can light up the world with regular halogens!

Hahah yes, especially since our HJs generally have very low-amp alts...what is it, like 25 amps or something? Still 25 AMP at 24V goes a long way.

80 AMPS can light up the world with regular halogens!

My Nissan alternator is 35 amps., so the equivalent to a 70 amp 12V alternator. It is okay for my current power demands but ya 80 amps would allow more power hungry toys. Thing is most people are going LEDs now for all their lighting.

Mot, you better start posting or Mark and I are going to highjack your thread. :flipoff2:

how much will be the final key ..
You mean how much power or price?

I guess both, would be critical, but I am optimistic that they would be able to stay close to their original $165, including shipping (I had to ship mine in because I was going to have them recondition/modify, but I don't think they would require a core).

As for the power, I guess I'll have to take their word for it, unless I can get it tested somewhere locally. (Or is that what I should be able to do with the multi-meter? :doh:)

Mot, you better start posting or Mark and I are going to highjack your thread. :flipoff2:
What do you mean "are going to hijack" you already have! :flipoff2: ;)

No, seriously, I'm stoked if my alternator (or the replacement) comes back with close to 150 amps with similar fitment/reliability AND if it could prove to be a viable option for rebuilding or upgrading our alternators.

I'm planning on using their service/advice for my newly acquired 60, as well, when I get my 80 going again.

I was thinking in Price MOT .. I have a 180 amp alt in Tencha but cost was kinda hi .. although it's a brand new alt ..

Meanwhile the 150 amp coming from Sequolla for less than 80 bucks in eBay works wonders in my HDJ80

For a -:banana: guy like myself, if I don't have to mod anything (You'd have to modify the bracket for the Sequoia alternator, right?) and keeping it under $200 I would consider that as a win. :hillbilly:

So, I was finally able to get the pic from them (for some reason I could not receive it with my Yahoo box).

The unit on the left is what they will be sending me.
They told me that they would put the appropriate plug, etc... and are certain that it would be more than adequate.

I'll let you know the final cost once the dust is settled.

Hopefully they can send it out tomorrow and I would have it on Monday or so.

I asked them if I was going to have to install a fuse between the alternator and the battery (I've seen a disclaimer somewhere that when you do such an upgrade it is advised that you put an inline fuse).

Hope it's gonna be as good as I'm hoping it would be.
I guess anything is better than having my truck just sitting around. :hillbilly:
stock vs upgraded alternator differences.jpg

For a -:banana: guy like myself, if I don't have to mod anything (You'd have to modify the bracket for the Sequoia alternator, right?) and keeping it under $200 I would consider that as a win. :hillbilly:

Yap I had to do some cutting / grinding / welding in the engine adjuster bracket .. but I was looking for an bolt on option for sure ..

So the alternator wad gonna be leaving their shop today, hopefully be here on Monday.

I probably won't bet around to installing it until after Christmas.

Depending on how it turns out I'm gonna try to do the same with my new-to-me FJ60.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my old phone with typos.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Had exactly the same issue in my 92 HDJ81. If you want to save some cash it is the same alt as a mid 90s tercel. Won't have the same output as that 150 amp, but its cheap and worked for the 3 years I had the truck...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Had exactly the same issue in my 92 HDJ81. If you want to save some cash it is the same alt as a mid 90s tercel. Won't have the same output as that 150 amp, but its cheap and worked for the 3 years I had the truck...

Thanks for chiming in!

I just received the new unit today and it looks great!

It's gonna be one of my Christmas presents so it has to stay under the tree until tomorrow morning, lol!!

Not sure if I might be able to sneak out in the excitement of the rest of the family opening presents tomorrow morning to install it. :hillbilly:

But when I do get it in there I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'll have to read up and see if I should put a fuse in or not (Probably should, I'm guessing).

Merry Christmas!!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Merry Christmas (to me)!!

ForumRunner_20121225_121655.jpg
ForumRunner_20121225_121655.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom