Bandit the HJ47 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No good updates struggling to get the brake drums off here recently and still waiting on replacement glow plugs from Australia.

This week though I think I’ll take a look and see if I’m getting proper voltage at all to the buss bar and just make sure there’s not an issue that’s not even causing the old ones to heat up, shoulda done this first but just kinda forgot.

Verified the universal vacuum pump is working so just need to run new vacuum lines to the appropriate places and get some brakes actually working.

Fluids are ready and waiting debating on holding off on the knuckle rebuild until after the relic run to actually do that just to save time and focus on other things.

Oil pressure reads but is low. So after cleaning terminals and new oil change hopefully there will be some improvement there.

Temperature gauge pretty much same thing engine runs cool but doesn’t get to hot even after it ran for about 15 min so cleaned terminals and will check again after I put the glow plugs back in.

Injectors have not been tested yet I was debating on getting them pulled and taken to a shop to check how they are doing and cleaned/rebuilt as needed but after hearing ~120+ an injector this may have to wait for now. If no smoke after the glow plugs are changed then I’ll probably just leave them for now until I can do it right doesn’t seem to be an easy diy method but If anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated!

Old tundra wheels fit pretty well so not the most flattering thing but if it gets it to relic run I could care less!
09C52DC3-5A1E-40E1-A5CA-74BDB3EAB61B.jpeg

Took me long enough to actually do something with this truck, life has put everything on hold but now that the house is sold and things have settled a little onto doing some work on this truck, tires are off and the truck is on stands hope to have some new tires in the next few weeks and try to clean up the wheels that came with it.

Found that the Glow plugs that were installed in the truck were actually 14V as well as the replacements so that will be fixed here soon with some 8.5V plugs, the glow system seems to be hit and miss I've tested the bus bar a few times and had voltage but not every time. so for now ill work on installing a Wilson switch to manually engage the glow plugs so i can move onto other things.

Ive gone ahead and prepped for a full fluid swap while
-oil and filter
-Trans and t case
-flush and fill radiator,
-brake fluid

I also think i found my leak for the timing cover, the seal seems to be crushed at the bottom so Ive ordered a gasket set for the 2H so i van swap that and also got a crankshaft seal as well since it seems to be doable without removing a bunch of other stuff so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this.

screwed with the doors and managed to lock the driver side and cant get it free so that will likely have to get fixed as its getting old trying to climb across the passenger side to get into the driver seat

going forward the plan is still gonna be finish the brakes while i wait for parts, knuckle rebuild, axle seals for the front and rear
glow plug swap/ Wilson switch
timing cover/crankshaft seal
drain and attempt to clean out fuel tanks and replace fuel filter
run some injector cleaner and see if that along with the glow plugs helps my smokey start up

Lots more im going to make the next post my list so i can work through as time goes on and keep a little better track of things till i get a new whiteboard.

Just a post about what i need to do and whats been ordered and i can cross out as i finish it

Engine/Trans/Tcase
-Fluid swap (parts on hand)
-glow plugs (ordered) NGK (7493) Y-147T Diesel Glow Plug
-Crankshaft seal (ordered)
-timing gasket (ordered)
-valve cover gasket (ordered)
-Exhaust leak (hole in exhaust)
-drain and clean fuel tanks
-fuel filter (parts on hand)
-air filter (parts on hand)
-Wilson switch install (need to order)*
-Vacuum pump (need to order)*
-Vacuum lines (parts on hand)
-Tcase linkage sticking between high and low
-front drive shaft replacement (need to order)*
-Aux fuel tank switch (rewire)
-oil pressure reads low
-coolant temp no reading
-adjust valves
-injector pump manual priming unit replacement (need to order)*

Suspension/axle/steering
-Front axle knuckle rebuild and seals (parts on hand)
-Brake pad/rotors (parts on hand)
-rear axle seals (parts on hand)
-rear brake components (parts on hand)
-shocks (need to order)*
-bushings (need to order)*
-steering stabilizer (need to order)*
-tie rod ends (need to order)*
-tires (need to order)*

Body
-POR15 rockers and rear quarter (por15 on hand)
-temporary floor pan fix to cover hole from rust (need to order/find some metal)*
-replace door handle assembly for all 3 doors (handles on hand but not latching mechanism)*
-replace passenger window crank (need to order)*
-remove hitch
-replace headlight/taillight bulbs (parts on hand)

Last edited:
Wilson switch? I don’t know what that is but in my 6.2 detroit diesel I ditched the automatic timer for a push button to trip a Ford (ferd) starter solenoid for the glow plugs. Worked flawlessly even after the truck was sold.

Figure it’s time to update and keep doing some work on this, gutting out some wiring that wasn’t needed as well as the old components for the air brakes for a trailer and exhaust brake found some unfortunate signs that the wiring harness for the engine pay on the passenger side was burned up.

IMG_5459.jpeg

Took some time and unraveled all of it separating it and found where the harness was u damaged and pulled it through the firewall so I could attempt to salvage it, luckily most of it is for the superglow system and will not be used but the temp gauge headlights and turn signals as well as blower motor alternator were pretty nasty a new harness is not gonna be possiable right now so I mapped everything out and am cutting wires this week to repair it wrap it and put it back hopefully this will help some of my issues. If anything it’ll look cleaner in there!
IMG_5468.jpeg
IMG_5491.jpeg

just before the wiring madness I was able to finish what I wanted to do on the rear axle outside of swapping springs that may be on hold for now but time will tell. Turned out pretty good just need my son to be here to help bleed the brakes totally understand why I always had to pump and hold all those years haha
IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5409.jpeg

Did an oil change today hoping to get some of the fluids swapped out and well way over filled previously or seeming more likely there’s a fair amount of diesel in the oil so that’s a fun turn of events.
IMG_5515.jpeg

Oil pan couldn’t keep up probably drained 15 quarts or so
IMG_5516.jpeg

Money shot
IMG_5514.jpeg

How'd you get that much oil on your face, lmao
He was livin out the movie scene....gettin into character. Im just not sure which scene it was.

tropic-thunder-dude.gif

never-go-full-retard-tropic-thunder.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom