Events/Trails Baja 2020 Invitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I'm thinking about it. I need a fix. I've had a few folks from this group join me in the past. So, here goes ...

Tentative dates: 11-26 April. To avoid all the spring breaks and Easter. Subject to change.

When folks think about Baja it's usually racing, cantanas, partying, palapas on the beach. Well, that is the trip I avoid. I put effort into getting away from the crowds. You will use your transfer case. Some trails are just sandy. Others will challenge your gearing and clearance. My places are remote. Let me say that again … REMOTE. What we call remote in the USA is sissy stuff. Your cell phone won't work once we head south of San Felipe. I don't care what Verizon will tell you. Climbing to the top of a mountain is not going to help. If you need to be connected, stay home (more on this below). Also, no guns, no drugs. If you get caught I will deny knowing you.

OK, so realistically what do I do, and what could you expect? For this trip I plan on the usual the first week. Cross at Yuma/San Luis first thing in the morning and drive down the Sea of Cortez side. I have a couple of favorite beaches. They are not too hard to get to. One is easy, just slow. The other is easy for 95%, but it has one section that will get your attention. Four wheel drive is not needed to get there, low range is. Four wheel drive is necessary to get out due to a steep, loose climb. These are not your broad, white sandy beaches. They tend to be rocky, but not always. I usually stay more than one night at these locations. The harder they are to get to, the longer I'm going to linger. If you can't sit still and relax this might not be the trip for you. Other places on the SOC side I might want to visit are Bahia Los Animas, and Bahia San Rafael. @Beowulf and I dubbed one of the beaches "Grouper Beach" for obvious reasons. If it's not gill netted it's a grouper every cast.

I will fish from shore. Fishing is either great, or I will just practice my casting. It all depends on if the locals have recently gill-netted the beach.

About half way though the trip I will stop in Bahia de los Angeles. Objectives are fuel, food, water (RO), fish tacos, wifi (slow), and visit a friend at the Museo.

Fuel: you need to carry at least an additional 5 gallons. Have a fat pig 80? Better make it 10 gallons. Sometimes we need it. Sometimes we don't. I don't remember if @evanz80 needed his extra last time. I know Mike has. Hell, Mike needed to siphon gas from a boat to get home. I think by the time April rolls around the new Pemex in Catavina will be open. No more buying fuel from jerry cans.

I really like the Gulf side. But, this trip I want to spend more time on the Pacific side. So the second week will be spent exploring. What usually keeps me away from the Pacific is the fog. It can be wet. Ask Evan. But, this time I want to suck it up. Evan and I stayed on a beach two years ago that rocked. I want to go back. We did share it with surfers, but they were cool. In fact we are more likely to encounter others on the Pacific side because of the surfing.

Camping in the mountains is also an option. Mission Santa Maria is a favorite destination for the off-road crowd. Some consider the road to be the roughest road in Baja. It just has one tippy spot that might concern me with the rtt. Otherwise, it's Mike's favorite place. Even through we didn't drive to the mission I think @2manycruisers also liked this place. Also camping in the mountains at Matomi oasis is an option, depending on road conditions. The last time I was up there the cabin was occupied by "farmers" and I was a little uncomfortable. He turned out to be harmless. But, the destination is always worth it.

About this whole connection thing. I will have my inReach. I will be sending out twice daily "I'm OK" messages. It helps cut down on the heartburn at home. I can add any contacts you want to the list. If you need to send a message you are welcome to use my tablet. Just keep in mind you will be using my account and there will be nothing private about it. Not saying I will read your stuff … in fact I will delete them as you send them. But you need to be aware.

Also, since it came up recently, you must be able and willing to crap in a hole.

Previous trip examples:

Alcatraz Pano.jpg

20171019_095936-sm.jpg

IMGP2141-sm.jpg

20170315_125653_sm.jpg

IMGP1282-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, sounds so awesome... I dream of someday joining you Pappy. Happy trails.

Oh man, sounds so awesome... I dream of someday joining you Pappy. Happy trails.
I have those same "some day" dreams as well.

If you are thinking about this trip, check out the links that Pappy has posted on previous trips to get a feel for what these trips are like. A very good way to unplug from the rest of the world for a while. Most of the beaches we camped on (on the Sea of Cortez side), there was no one else for miles.

I do recommend extra fuel, especially for an 80 or 100 series. Pappy has a fuel-sipping 4 cylinder, plus an auxiliary fuel tank, and a backup gas can (which he never needs), so he has no issues. Since my Baja trip with him, I have added extra fuel capacity - the poor man's version - a second-hand roof rack from Lurch, some gas cans, and a shaker siphon. It gets the job done. I could have used it on the Baja trip.

It is a very unique part of the world and Pappy is a very experienced guide, and that's an understatement.

One comment I want to make thinking about the trip with Evan. These are very flexible, and fluid trips. Nothing, except for maybe the first few days, is cast in stone. Down there you need to adapt. I was going to take Evan up the Pacific, but his tent didn't like the fog, so we changed plans and retreated to the SOC. It worked out because he was able to see new stuff, additional SOC coast, and go through what I consider to be the best part of Baja, the Valle de los Cirios. Of course, had we proceeded up the Pacific we would have come out at Catavina, which is cool too. So, it all works out.

Also, the roads suck. You don't get anyplace in a hurry. While the peninsula looks small across on a map, going from one side to the other can take all day.

There is an old saying … So much Baja, so little time. I don't know it all, shoot, I'm always amazed to read trip reports from others. Baja has lots to offer, and plenty to explore. It's also changing, fast.

Last edited:
Vehicle requirements. I can modify the adventure as needed. Much of it is stocker friendly, to a point. For some places 31-33" tires are sufficient, along with some lift. Sliders would be a great idea if we go to Matomi or Mission Santa Maria. Santa Maria pretty much requires 33's, sliders, and locker to get out. The Pacific side I've done in the past can be done by a stock truck. I hope none of you considering this trip are proud of your paint.

You must have some way to air up. At the end of some dirt roads is a tire shop. For $5-$10 they will save your CO2. There is no set price, and some will keep their hand out until they are happy. Ultimately how much you pay to fill four tires is up to you.

Gas. Some stations are self-serve (I can only think of one). Most are not, so expect to tip. If you decide to go I will coach you on how to keep from getting ripped off. Bottom line, have a locking gas cap, watch the pump, don't get distracted, and never take your eye off the pump, and make sure to never take your eye off the pump. Expect to get shorted. It's not right, but it is Baja. A 20L gas can will come up short. Gas will be more expensive than in the states. The quality is hit or miss. Bring octane booster if you are concerned. Gas will be your biggest expense.

I spend Pesos down there and buy them from my bank (Wells Fargo) before I leave. Some places, especially closer to the border will take dollars, but don't expect a great exchange. Credit cards are mostly useless. Maybe near the border. But once south of San Felipe expect to pay cash for everything.

I'm penciling on the calendar right now! That was an amazing trip. I want my girls to experience it someday, but they can't miss that much school.

Great! Guess I better come up with places you didn't go last time. When you are ready to bring the daughters we can do the whale watching thing again.

Kinda late, but thought I would toss this up. Missions of Baja with Cameron Steele. Trailers looked good. Today at noon on ABC/KOAT channel 7.
1567357959627.png

Last edited:
And #3

I'll wait 'till Pappy supercharges his new engine then it's game on :bounce: Because that's when he'll have to plot out the availability of 93 octane fuel in MX for his rice rocket.

:hmm:

I'll wait 'till Pappy supercharges his new engine then it's game on :bounce: Because that's when he'll have to plot out the availability of 93 octane fuel in MX for his rice rocket.

Last edited:
Man, I would love to do this trip. I used to live down near San Diego and would go down to TJ and Ensenada. Not to off road but to party! That was back in the 80s. Not sure how safe it is now. Would love to explore Baja. Hmm.

I just recruited one or two passengers for the trip. It will be awesome!!

One/both girls?

Remember that rock art site we camped at (not the big one with Mike)? The one where I had the scorpion under one of my boxes. Well, somebody has put up a fence to keep people out. I need to see where I took you. I remember the north end of Alcatraz (wind), and Candelaro (fridge box in the ground). I do want to putt up the Pacific side. With two vehicles we can attempt Santa Maria (the swamp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom