1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baja October 2017

Discussion in 'NM- High Desert Cruisers' started by pappy, Nov 1, 2017.

1. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I went down with Evan this time. Nine days, roughly. Gulf side. Pacific side, briefly. Back to the Gulf side. Then two nights in the mountains at a palm oasis. Here goes a few pics.

Gulf camp #2.

alcatraz pano.jpg

Coco's Corner.

cocos ceiling.jpg

Evan found his big-boy pants in Baja. With Sr. Coco.

Evan and Coco.jpg

2. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    I got stuck on a rock twice. Evan pulled me off the first. The second time (here) we stacked rocks.

Stuck on a rock.jpg

slimbuddha and LBBLC100 like this.
  3. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    Carnage with Evan: none.

Carnage with Pappy: [sigh]
    • Right away started to notice the truck was getting loud. Then started to suck bad air, and a headache. Turns out the muffler shop didn't tighten down the header flange bolts. I lost one bolt, and the other two were loose. A spare driveshaft flange bolt work perfect for an in-field repair. Gasket was still in good shape.
    • Found out the hard way that my ARB air line ripped off the diff. No locker when needed. Field repaired. New parts ordered.
    • End of one day found I had a flat tire. No hole, but a broken valve stem. Filled up, and it held until Yuma where Discount Tire fixed it. Ordered a pair of these for the stash: Emergency Valve 2-Pack
    • Now for the bad one. Once again broke off a shock mount. This time it only smashed the brake line, without needing to field repair. Drove home on three shocks.

LBBLC100 likes this.
  4. pappy

Media:
    Albums:
    Gulf camp #1.

gulf camp 1.jpg

Mountain camp.

matomi pano.jpg

slimbuddha, LBBLC100 and 89BIGBLUE like this.
  5. LBBLC100

LBBLC100

oh man..... I can only wish I was with you guys. I am working in that direction. Maybe next year.

Envious.

6. evanz80

evanz80

We had a great trip! The weather was pretty tropical (a good thing!) until the last day, when we had big winds and decided to head back north a day early. I will try to post up some more pictures when I have a chance.

As Jon mentioned, there were a few minor items with his 4Runner, but no show-stoppers. Other than the broken shock mount, field repairs were sufficient to keep us going. Luckily, it was a rear shock that broke, so better for the long road trip home than missing a front shock. We were pleased that the smashed brake line (from the broken shock) did not let go completely, as that would have been a mess to deal with on the trail.

All in all, it was an adventure. Baja is hard to describe, but I would recommend a visit if you are interested. Very remote (but a beautiful desert landscape), which can be nice to have miles of beach all to yourself, but not necessarily ideal if you have a major breakdown (luckily we didn't!). Thanks to Jon for his hosting, tour guiding, and botany lessons! Lots of different and interesting plant life down there.

LBBLC100 likes this.