Baja October 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I went down with Evan this time. Nine days, roughly. Gulf side. Pacific side, briefly. Back to the Gulf side. Then two nights in the mountains at a palm oasis. Here goes a few pics.

Gulf camp #2.

alcatraz pano.jpg

Coco's Corner.

cocos ceiling.jpg

Evan found his big-boy pants in Baja. With Sr. Coco.

Evan and Coco.jpg

I got stuck on a rock twice. Evan pulled me off the first. The second time (here) we stacked rocks.

Stuck on a rock.jpg

Carnage with Evan: none.

Carnage with Pappy: [sigh]
  • Right away started to notice the truck was getting loud. Then started to suck bad air, and a headache. Turns out the muffler shop didn't tighten down the header flange bolts. I lost one bolt, and the other two were loose. A spare driveshaft flange bolt work perfect for an in-field repair. Gasket was still in good shape.
  • Found out the hard way that my ARB air line ripped off the diff. No locker when needed. Field repaired. New parts ordered.
  • End of one day found I had a flat tire. No hole, but a broken valve stem. Filled up, and it held until Yuma where Discount Tire fixed it. Ordered a pair of these for the stash: Emergency Valve 2-Pack
  • Now for the bad one. Once again broke off a shock mount. This time it only smashed the brake line, without needing to field repair. Drove home on three shocks.

Gulf camp #1.

gulf camp 1.jpg

Mountain camp.

matomi pano.jpg

We had a great trip! The weather was pretty tropical (a good thing!) until the last day, when we had big winds and decided to head back north a day early. I will try to post up some more pictures when I have a chance.

As Jon mentioned, there were a few minor items with his 4Runner, but no show-stoppers. Other than the broken shock mount, field repairs were sufficient to keep us going. Luckily, it was a rear shock that broke, so better for the long road trip home than missing a front shock. We were pleased that the smashed brake line (from the broken shock) did not let go completely, as that would have been a mess to deal with on the trail.

All in all, it was an adventure. Baja is hard to describe, but I would recommend a visit if you are interested. Very remote (but a beautiful desert landscape), which can be nice to have miles of beach all to yourself, but not necessarily ideal if you have a major breakdown (luckily we didn't!). Thanks to Jon for his hosting, tour guiding, and botany lessons! Lots of different and interesting plant life down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom