Bad news from the machine shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.upperbowljazzfan.com
I bought my '89 FJ62 just a month or so ago and promptly tore the motor out of it because it needed a rebuild. I took it to the local machine shop a few days ago and early reports were putting the machine work at a reasonable price.

And then....just got a call from them saying that the head was cracked beyond repair.

So much for good luck right?

What are my options? Obviously, finding a junked FJ62 locally somewhere would provide the easiest head replacement but what if there isn't something like that around?

I'm on a pretty tight budget so springing for a crate 350 is out of the question.

If I find a used SBC in a junkyard how pricey would that be to equip into the FJ62? I'm just thinking out loud here but I'm a bit worried.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Find a head locally and have the shop set it up to fit small block chevy valves. If the shop's charges are indeed reasonable, then I'd venture the swap to a SBC motor is about double the price. However, it's easy to run shop fees (and parts costs) so high that it makes the SBC swap more feasible on a $ scale.

Find an FJ62 head? That's what I'm wondering...I'm not sure I can find one locally.

Find a head locally and have the shop set it up to fit small block chevy valves. If the shop's charges are indeed reasonable, then I'd venture the swap to a SBC motor is about double the price. However, it's easy to run shop fees (and parts costs) so high that it makes the SBC swap more feasible on a $ scale.

Find an FJ62 head? That's what I'm wondering...I'm not sure I can find one locally.
Yeah I know you said that, but I feel it's your best chance for low-buck solution.
How long can you afford to have the truck inop, and how close are you to Sandy, UT?

Post up in the parts wanted classifieds. You might be surprised at what might show up.

If you feel like your luck my be changing, cruiserparts.net sells a used head that they claim is not warped or cracked for $400. Have it shipped to your machine shop.

Last edited:
I would call Kurt...and also check out the classifieds area. Be best to deal with someone locally if possible or within reasonable driving distance.

Sandy, UT = Cruiser Outfitters See if Kurt and crew can hook you up.

I would call Kurt...and also check out the classifieds area. Be best to deal with someone locally if possible or within reasonable driving distance.

Yeah I had called Kurt actually. I think he had closed up shop by the time I called but hopefully he could help. Maybe he'll have a line on someone locally who has one.

If you need a 3fe head, i have one in storage.
$120.00 plus shipping from sherwood oregon.

Let me know if you want it.

Good luck.
Brian

Thanks, I sent ya a PM about shipping costs.

I ll have a 3fe head for sale pretty soon.The bottom of the motor is shot but the head is still good; i will be pulling the motor for a swap and will be happy to send you the head. Shipping might be high from florida tho.....

dave

Lucky. Youre near Kurt! Actually, parts can be found. Dont lose hope so soon. Your Cruiser and its extended family will get you hooked up. Welcome!;)

I ll have a 3fe head for sale pretty soon.The bottom of the motor is shot but the head is still good; i will be pulling the motor for a swap and will be happy to send you the head. Shipping might be high from florida tho.....

dave

I think shipping from Florida would be way expensive

Lucky. Youre near Kurt! Actually, parts can be found. Dont lose hope so soon. Your Cruiser and its extended family will get you hooked up. Welcome!;)

Yeah it's nice to be close to Kurt but he, sadly, had no 3FE Heads lying around. It would have been way nice if he had though...

Check the classifieds under "car parts" on ksl.com. Check Pull Apart, Pick 'N Pull and some of the other local wrecking yards. You'll find it.

What's crazy is that I called a few wrecking yards and nobody had an FJ62 at all. One guy said he could check the whole state and there was nothing here. I think I got one lined up though so it's only a minor setback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom