Bacon bits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

samc2447

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
northwestdf.com
Hey guys, I’ve had swine flu for a while now, so I decided to prove to the world how crazy I am by buying 2 Pigs. A 74 and a 75. I’d been looking for a while and when these popped up on the classifieds, I jumped. The owner was excellent to deal with and represented the condition of the vehicles perfectly. The trucks were just outside of Salt Lake City, and I live in a suburb of Houston. Road trip time!

IMG_9388.JPG

I ran up to pick up the first truck, the 75 “parts truck” and then a week later I made a bit longer trip to pick up the 74.

IMG_9445.JPG

Stopping on the way at Classic Cruisers for parts for me and a few Texas friends.

IMG_9609.JPG

I also stopped in to see Doug at Well Sorted Automotive and check out the awesome work he does in his shop.

IMG_9599.JPG

IMG_9597.JPG

After picking up the truck I was sure to stop in Amarillo and catch up with Casey @POTATO LAUNCHER Then it was an easy 9 hour drive home.

The first truck is supposed to be the parts truck – it’s a 75 with a SBC and Toyota 4 speed. A brand new Fitech fuel injection system has been installed and it runs pretty well. It just needs to have the timing adjusted and a return fuel line added. (The current solution is to run a fuel hose down the side of the truck into the fuel filler neck – it works! LOL). The body is pretty cancerous and has had the rockers hacked off and square tubing welded in.

The good: roof is solid, doors are mostly solid, tailgate handle is in great shape, lots of other little bits.

The bad: rust. Brakes are non-existent.

So, after having many hours behind the wheel on my road trip to plan things out I have decided to save this piggy rather than relegate it to the scrap pile. It will be a wheeler and due to the cancer may lose some of the classic lines, but overall it will still look like a pig. I know this is an ambitious project, but I guess I’m kind of crazy. My stop at Classic Cruisers was to pick up rear quarter panels for this truck. It had just snowed 4 inches and the yard was covered in snow. There was a nice donor right in front. They guys decided it would be easier for them to just chop the body in half and give me the entire rear half. Score! There is a bit a of rust, but it will be easily repaired.

The 74 is a roller and I will leave it for now so that I can do a proper restoration to the body. Since I don’t have an engine, I am still figuring out my plans there. I will stay with Toyota power, possibly a 1HDT or a turbo 1FZ-FE are where my current thinking is.

The good: roof, floor and doors are solid. Tailgate handle is nice and I tested the motor and it works, though I suspect the gear is broken since it will not go all the way up.

The bad: rust in the rockers and fenders in the usual places.

Enough of my blathering and time for more pictures.

Steve

Noice!

im in ATX, and could use a few parts off the parts truck, maybe, if you’re not using them.

Glad you made it home safe Steve. Always good to see SAS alumni stop by and share the sickness with the rest of us sick Cruiser people.

Sorry we could not catch up today Steve. I am very excited to see what ya do with bacon. Sky is limit me hears!

So I'm starting to plan a few things out and one thing I don't like on the 75 is how the tubing was welded in to replace the rockers. The doors overhang the tubing and I would prefer a more flush look. I see a lot of guys use 2x4 tubing and it bring it out flush with the doors.

Any advice on adjusting this cosmetically? Cut out the tubing and start over or add some plate to make it flush?

Here is what I'm talking about.

IMG_9669.JPG

IMG_9670.JPG

Maybe the person behind that brainstorm was thinking about adding a piece to act as a step? Are they welded to the tub or the frame?

They are welded to both. I will be pulling the body off at some point, so the frame tie-ins will be cut off.

🍿🍿. Green Goblin is growing on me. We name cruisers in our family🤣.

Contact @bobm he has what you need.

Yes, I bought one of his sets for the 74 roller this week. I was not planning to put a nice set like that in the 75, but instead use rectangle tubing for rockers since I do plan to offroad this truck and having the sliders will be useful.

I"m dropping the rear section I bought off to be media blasted and primed this week. When I get it back and start to figure out where I want to cut things in I will come up with a plan on the rockers then I guess.

IMG_9610.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom