Backup camera with BIOR rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I ordered a rear bumper with one swingout for the spare tire from Mike at BIOR, it's still 2 or 3 months out. He's great, I already have sliders and a full set of skid plates from him. So my question is where do I put the backup camera? I don't have one yet, but recently had CarToys install a Kenwood dmx4707 stereo that supports it (my LX470 already had an aftermarket POS stereo put in by a previous owner so it was relatively cheap). CarToys wanted to install it above the license plate, but I'm concerned the spare tire will block it, so they suggested I wait until the bumpers on. I would really like to have it installed sooner.

It will be blocked there. You will with the tire mounted need to move your plate out to the bottom of the
image.jpg
swing arm.
A light for the plate is there. I ran power out for that and for the camera wiring.
image.jpg

Place the camera on the tire carrier: make a bracket or you can buy a bracket from Slee, or maybe Mike would bend you one.

8493C56C-6F8F-4539-BD62-7EE4F142EBAA.jpeg
8BF9FD39-1431-4E57-8255-5CCBD5A87F27.jpeg

I put mine on the rear face of the tire swing arm. Location was PERFECT. Zero interference, even after installing the trasharoo on that tire. I never caught it or hit it on anything. It was also perfectly centered. I had it in the tire before, which worked well, but it's not centered and gets covered up with anything mounted on the backside of the tire.

1602690735481.png

Pondering this same thing myself. I found this on Amazon and wonder if anyone's done something similar. I'm thinking it may still give decent rear view if mounted high inside the rear windshield. Also doubles as a trail camera and I don't need to move it depending on whether I'm carrying the spare or not.

Thoughts?

Hi I ordered a rear bumper with one swingout for the spare tire from Mike at BIOR, it's still 2 or 3 months out. He's great, I already have sliders and a full set of skid plates from him. So my question is where do I put the backup camera? I don't have one yet, but recently had CarToys install a Kenwood dmx4707 stereo that supports it (my LX470 already had an aftermarket POS stereo put in by a previous owner so it was relatively cheap). CarToys wanted to install it above the license plate, but I'm concerned the spare tire will block it, so they suggested I wait until the bumpers on. I would really like to have it installed sooner.

Here is the KAYMAR single wheel carrier swingout solution (avoided full rear bar weight) via ARB and a local camera provider who placed the camera on a bracket above the re-located numberplate light. Very good field of view but the offset from the centreline is a distraction.

It works, complies with local legal requirements concerning lights (with the mandatory additional lights on the rear bumper) but there has got to be a better way.

Done like this, it means that the numberplate-holder and the camera have to be unplugged and removed when changing a wheel. In my case the wheel is the OEM alloy and 31 inch tyre -- both standard for this vehicle in this market, in this case 275/65R17 BFG A/T KO Load Rating E tyre is fitted. Wheel plus tyre weighs 37.1 kilograms (82 pounds) which is a handful to lift when alone.

Rear Camera.jpg

KAYMAR Swing Arm.jpg

Camera Field of View.jpg

Nice, beautiful trucks. I was thinking of having it installed near where the rear windshield washer is. Not sure if it is doable, but that would solve any obstruction problems

That is Slee’s bracket-its heavy duty.

I made one but it was difficult to get crisp looking bends due to the reverse angles, and was limited to 16 guage aluminum with my little press so its not as thick/rigid as the slee. It worked but for $50 I upgraded to a better mount. Fyi Theres no other hardware included so you still have to splice and extend wiring, plug the mount hole in the hatch, mount camera to bracket and carrier.

I put mine on the rear face of the tire swing arm. Location was PERFECT. Zero interference, even after installing the trasharoo on that tire. I never caught it or hit it on anything. It was also perfectly centered. I had it in the tire before, which worked well, but it's not centered and gets covered up with anything mounted on the backside of the tire.

View attachment 2465218

I bought the BIOR bumper without the hitch option. Any reason I can mount it right in the middle of the bumper (drill through it) rather than on the swing arm?

btz0ZcK.jpg

Nice, beautiful trucks. I was thinking of having it installed near where the rear windshield washer is. Not sure if it is doable, but that would solve any obstruction problems

Hey, for what it's worth I did that but I'm not very happy with it. I have a swingout spare tire and a swingout jerry can holder and they block the view down so I can't actually see my hitch or see exactly how much space I have between my spare tire and any obstacle behind me. At this point I don't plan to redo it but I wish I had put it on the jerry can holder swingout.

So I spoke to Car Toys and they can put it on the license plate holder (actually the camera they recommend comes with its own license plate frame). Would you go that route?

So I spoke to Car Toys and they can put it on the license plate holder (actually the camera they recommend comes with its own license plate frame). Would you go that route?

I think so. But if I were to do it all over I'd probably hook up the camera straight to the display (just running the wires along side the car) and tape the camera in place in a few different positions to see what gives me the best view. I think it also depends on your use case i.e. is seeing your hitch the most important? Is seeing people behind you while backing up most important?

I don't like those style cameras. I like the flexibility of putting the camera where it makes sense - not where the plate is.

You could put the camera on the bumper itself, but the swing arm was higher and better protected for me. It took a little extra time and care to install, but ultimately I think it was worth it. I was also concerned with bumping it with my legs if I opened the swing arms and reached in to grab something from the cargo area with the tailgate still up (but hatch opened). Putting the camera on the swing arm alleviated that entirely. It was very well protected.

I decided i wanted it in the middle of the bumper, so the lines are centered. The two cameras I'm looking at are the Alpine HCE-C1100 HDR Rear View Camera, which would stick out and I would have to fabricate a bracket for, but it's got great reviews, and the CRUX CUB-01 Universal bullet (flush mount) backup camera. Anyone have either of these and comments? I have a Kenwood DMx4707S receiver which accepts universal backup cameras.

Thanks!,

Chuck

I
Looks like that HCE-1100 comes with the mounting bracket. I'd take that camera, a little square of 3M VHB tape and slap it on. That's the same sort of style I had on mine.

Thanks. I bought it today from Crutchfield. Local installer will wire it up for $100 if I mount it, so I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom