Back-up Camera Install Location??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used the same esky camera. Mounted it to the end of the swingout, right above the latch. It's not too bad there, just a little more vulnerable compared to the recessed one.

I used the same esky camera. Mounted it to the end of the swingout, right above the latch. It's not too bad there, just a little more vulnerable compared to the recessed one.
Looking to do this as well to my 4x4 lab bumper. Have a pic?

I mounted my backup camera in place of the washer nozzle. It fit perfectly and made wiring really easy.
DSC_0279.JPG

I usually do the Esky Licence plate mount. Works really well. ALso on my trucks I install the chip that allows the camera to be on the whole time if I chose. Very nice to see when crap falls off my trailer or someone is in my blind spot. It's illegal to do.

Sorry for the late reply, work has been insanely busy. But here are the photos

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6256.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

Installed the camera in my 4x4 Labs rear bumper. Used a 1/2" bit and took the front 'cap' off the camera lens. Disregard the color difference. I'd just touched up the black paint from drilling. Fits extremely snug and slightly recessed from flush so it's quite protected. Used gorilla epoxy to hold it in place. Fits nicely I think.
7D267EF4-AFFC-43D8-A0EB-C3FA6E499C53.jpg

8B05C7FE-0533-49E5-A913-E7E52237B660.jpg

I mounted mine there too. Protect and out of the way. Thanks

IMG_4652.JPG

I ran mine inside down to the rear quarter panel and got it through the small grommet down there and then ran it up into the tailgate. Then I mounted it on the black license plate light. If I remember correctly, I notched the back of the black plastic for the table for the RCA after I bolting it from the truck. Then it is screwed in.

View attachment 1181112

I routed my RCA cable for my rear camera the same the way. Down through the dash into the driver's side, and down the driver's side wire route. The body panels weren't even that difficult to deal with. I would still suggest getting some spare body panel clips though. No matter how gentle you are, the original plastic clips are 26+ years old on a '91, and some of them are brittle.

Thanks to everyone that posted to this thread. I used some long (probably 12") zip ties to help route the wire back there. That was handy when routing the cable through that "rubber channel" ? that goes from the rear of the body into the tail gate. Or when going from the bottom of the rear quarter panel, through that rubber body grommet, into the rear underside of the vehicle, along the front side of the rear bumper.

The camera I installed is a Pioneer ND-BC8. It is $100 at Crutchfield
Pioneer ND-BC8
It is a wide angle lens so the picture is distorted around the edges, but the advantage is that you have a very wide field of view horizontally and vertically. I have the camera tilted so that I can see the edge of my stock rear bumper on the bottom of the screen, and on up past the horizon on the top of the screen. The camera performs well in low light conditions too. I want to get a trailer hitch at some point, and this camera would make hitching up a pretty simple process.

I ran the camera to a Kenwood Excelon DDX593. I picked up a scratch and dent refurb (how is that for being a cheap ass?) for $203.94. No longer available.

Kenwood Excelon DDX593

As far as the install went I mounted the camera on the underside of the plastic tail light housing using the supplied double stick tape. I drilled into the plastic of the tail light structure to run the cable. The hole is bigger than the wire b/c the connector on the end of the cable is wider than the cable. I will seal up that hole with some RTV adhesive sealant, but that may not even be necessary. The double stick tape should hold. If not I could easily screw the camera to the plastic.

I just completed this install earlier this week (way past dark in the driveway of course). This has been a rewarding mod. Adding this modern technology to a vehicle that has been on the road for coming up on 27 years is pretty cool!

Here are some pics. Camera location on rear:
cameralocation1.jpg

cameralocation2.jpg

Reverse camera view on the new head unit. Connected head unit to the reverse light wire circuit so that the rear camera view automagically displays on the head unit when shifting into reverse.
cameraview.jpg

cameraview2.jpg

I forgot to mention. The parking guides on the screen are projected from the head unit, not the camera. This model camera does not have "built in" parking guides.

Sorry to revive old thread, but also pointless to create a new one.

Has anyone install their back up camera up top? I see one of us put a camera at the washer nozzle which seems like a great idea as well.

Many of the Sprinter Vans have a massive camera on top almost like UPS trucks and like/prefer this angle. My bike rack is on the tow hitch pretty much on at all times so this would be helpful but also not sure how clean it would look.

Search flush mounting backup camera on Amazon. They don't have the exact one I bought anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom