Back-up Camera Install Location??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
Got a Kenwood DDX372BT from Santa today. Install was simple but this damn camera location is whooping me!!! I need to see some pics of where you mounted yours and how you got the wiring there. I think the perfect place is in the center, mounted between the 2 license plate lights but can't figure out how the hell I'd get the wiring to it.

Hey, I installed an Android head unit and reverse camera a little while ago. I drilled a small hole into the tailgate when I mounted my camera to the upper license plate bolts. I ran the camera wires through this hole. If you remove the two plates covering the inside of the tailgate, it is easy to connect to the camera wires. I ran the wires from the headunit into the tailgate taped onto the stock harness for the rear lock.

I tapped power off of the reverse light to turn the camera on. I still have to connect the reverse light to the head unit to auto-switch to the reverse screen. Will probably find some wire at the transmission or shifter for this. I plan to eventually wire a switch in that turns on the camera and switches screen without putting in reverse.

Good luck...

I mounted mine just below the winch so I can see the trail all the wAy
from my front tires up to the line of sight over the hood.

There is already a wiring path to the tailgate. Use the same one.
I have the wiring to the tailgate. BUT where do I enter the tailgate and where do I mount the cam? In the location I mentioned earlier, it ain't happening without it looking like ass.

Just above the license plate. It's one small hole. Or route to top of lift gate and mount next to the rear sprayer.

Just above the license plate. It's one small hole. Or route to top of lift gate and mount next to the rear sprayer.
One small hole in the plastic? I understand that. So you're saying run it thru the wiring loom at the bottom of the tailgate, route it up thru the inside of the tailgate, route it with the wiring going back out of the tailgate then pop it out on the bottom side of the plastic 'shroud'? The hole will have to be big enough to push an RCA cable thru because that's what's attach to the cam.

I ran mine inside down to the rear quarter panel and got it through the small grommet down there and then ran it up into the tailgate. Then I mounted it on the black license plate light. If I remember correctly, I notched the back of the black plastic for the table for the RCA after I bolting it from the truck. Then it is screwed in.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Hung mine off the swing out of my slee bumper, right near the license plate. For the front facing I mounted it under my rear view mirror

Sent from my SM-G925V

uploadfromtaptalk1451087826937.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925V

Yeah need to consider the rear swing out. If the camera is 270* field of view then everything gets in the way.

uploadfromtaptalk1451088425407.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925V

uploadfromtaptalk1451088817614.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925V

Ran coax down drivers side wire channel into rear quarter panel out sunroof drain hole through existing rubber boot into tailgate. Out through license plate light area and mount camera above license plate.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1451091139.490215.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1451091151.444399.jpg

I have it mounted in the light housing of my Slee swing out. Had to replace the light with an led strip to save space. It's off center but still gets the hitch in view which was important to me, I chose a camera with adjustable angles, kinda like an eyeball. Sorry, I don't have any good pics handy but here's a couple bad ones.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ran coax down drivers side wire channel into rear quarter panel out sunroof drain hole through existing rubber boot into tailgate. Out through license plate light area and mount camera above license plate.
View attachment 1181140View attachment 1181141
This looks like what I was thinking. Did you cut the RCA cable to get it thru there? I think, if I cut the cable, it'll never work right after that.

Nope. I managed to push the plug through the boot. You might want to apply some sort of lube - I used some PB blaster dry lube after a while and it helped.

Never a fan of rear cameras but now being able to see hitch is worth having a rear camera alone
We have them on all the apparatus' @ work & I almost never look @ them. I want it to hook up my trailer (why I REALLY need it to be centered) & when in a jamb rock-crawling w/out assistance/spotter in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom