AXT turbo problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
Anyone out there with the AXT turbo have the wastegate actuator linkage break? Mine did this past week and it broke off at the actuator arm. It meant that I got to re experience the power of a non-turbo'd 3B (as the wastegate simply opens under pressure)! I'll be fixing it with a yoke instead of the pin as I think it will give a stronger repair. Anyone else run into this problem or have other thoughts?

cruiser_guy said:
Anyone out there with the AXT turbo have the wastegate actuator linkage break? Mine did this past week and it broke off at the actuator arm. It meant that I got to re experience the power of a non-turbo'd 3B (as the wastegate simply opens under pressure)! I'll be fixing it with a yoke instead of the pin as I think it will give a stronger repair. Anyone else run into this problem or have other thoughts?

I have bent the arm on the wastegate of an AXT. the problem I see is if you use the adjusting rod to adjust your boost it puts the wastgate in a weird position, and you are limited on you boost adjustment and max boost point. If you have been adjusting your wastegate linkage put it back to "close to the way it game" - I think that is middle of the road, and put a granger value in instead.

You should be able to repair you wastgate rod pretty easy, it is pretty simple.

Michael

We should all be welding our waste gates shut and turning up the fuel. Marc and I have blocked the lines to or wastegates, and we're making as much as 17 lbs of boost. At least, I think so, my gauge only shows up to 15 lbs, and it spends a fair amount of time with the needle trying to jump off the face of the gauge.

The sluggish old 3B is actually rather fun with 17lbs of boost and the fuel turned all the way up to use it. Marc just put 5,000kms of highway travel with this much boost, and so far so good.

Peter Straub

Behemoth60 said:
We should all be welding our waste gates shut and turning up the fuel. Marc and I have blocked the lines to or wastegates, and we're making as much as 17 lbs of boost. At least, I think so, my gauge only shows up to 15 lbs, and it spends a fair amount of time with the needle trying to jump off the face of the gauge.

The sluggish old 3B is actually rather fun with 17lbs of boost and the fuel turned all the way up to use it. Marc just put 5,000kms of highway travel with this much boost, and so far so good.

Peter Straub

Do you worry about the life of the engine?

Sounds like it might do damage in the not so long future.

You are now the test unit for all of us, I wish you luck.

Behemoth60 said:
We should all be welding our waste gates shut and turning up the fuel.

Peter Straub

Do you have an pyromter on the head or and EGT? If you're running 17lbs under load, what do think that pressure is when you pull in the clutch between shifts?

I'm just wondering if you should wait until your turbo overspins and self-destructs, or your cylinder head melts, before you suggest that we all follow your lead, I'm thinking 8500kms, anyone want a piece of the action?

As BB says, let us know how it goes.

Behemoth60 said:

Peter Straub

dude!

now that's tech! i have been thinking "how much boost will this little POS take?"

i have heard tale of 20lbs +, and close to if not 200 ponies, but that's with a high nickle head, you running a stock head peter?

what about an intercooler?

what sort of max EGT are you getting?

i MUST know more!

cheers
crusty

Behemoth60 said:

Peter Straub

I appreciate the advice, but I need to err on the side of caution on this thing as I am travelling through Central American where turbo's are uncommon as well as Mexico and the states where 3B parts are not plentiful.
My repair using a yoke from NAPA seems to have worked well. I'm in the process of resetting my maximum boost pressures.

crustyBJ60 said:
what sort of max EGT are you getting?

Pics .. !!!!

Ok I thought that you need to be carefull with your EGT over 1300º your pistons ( alum ) melt without any advice .. and when you go to check what's up with your engine, :doh: big hole on piston .. !!

What a bunch of nervous nellies!

Yes, I am using the so called aftermarket High Nickel Head.
Yes, I have a pyro. No, I don't have a CHT gauge.
No, the EGT's are not high. Remember, more boost, lower temps. Since I've turned up the boost, I can't seem to turn the fuel up enough to take advantage of it!!!! The max EGT's I've seen have been 400C (750F).

Marc reported EGT's never over 1000F on his 5000km ride through three mountain ranges in June.

As for life of the engine, heck, if you're not pulling your engine every few years to make room for some project or other, then you're clearly not serious about modifying your rig anyway.

Peter Straub

Behemoth60 said:
As for life of the engine, heck, if you're not pulling your engine every few years to make room for some project or other, then you're clearly not serious about modifying your rig anyway.

Peter Straub

Really? Building and modifying are different things in my mind.

Unless I don't get the chance, that engine in my truck is staying in for at least another 200,000k. Then I will decide to rebuild or 13b-t it. I ain't gonna smoke it sooner than wanted.

But its also my family vehicle and road trip truck. It does see some wheeling, but it isn't the only role for the truck. If it was I wouldn't use a 60 for offroading. too much overhang. needs a bob big time.

Behemoth60 said:
As for life of the engine, heck, if you're not pulling your engine every few years to make room for some project or other, then you're clearly not serious about modifying your rig anyway. Peter Straub

Woou .. In my case I thought that my 2H engine stay in my HJ-60 after ( done ) rebuilt for some 10 years . :D

Behemoth60 said:
What a bunch of nervous nellies! Peter Straub

Too funny Peter. What I want to know is why the 1HZ is not in Tippy(r)...

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom