Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

itbrokeagain

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm at the point on my 80 buggy where I either swap tons or put more money into my axles. Plans are also to engine swap possibly to a 6.0. How far are you guys taking built 80 axles? Mine seem to be doing fine so far with the 3fe on 41.5 pitbulls but it feels like I'm just waiting for something bad to happen
20200607_191958.jpg
20200718_144857.jpg

Stock engine = low power = fewer drivetrain breaks.

It depends on your driving style, but swapping to one tons will probably be the same cost as building up what you've got, but with dramatically more strength potential.

what have you done to your current axles so far? Are they stock? everyone wants 80 axles these days so you could probably offset a lot of the cost of 1-tons.

Nitros front and rear ,arp front range hub and knuckle studs, diamond axle drive flanges.

Go tons. With that said, they are not cheap. Upgrade to at least Chromo axles and a good set of U-joint (Yukon Super Joints) Most 14 rear axles shafts are fine. I have yet to break one!

Sell off your current axles before you break them!

Thats exactly where I am with this
Go tons. With that said, they are not cheap. Upgrade to at least Chromo axles and a good set of U-joint (Yukon Super Joints) Most 14 rear axles shafts are fine. I have yet to break one!

Sell off your current axles before you break them!

So I was told a sterling was offset enough the gas tank doesn't need to be moved?

The tons, stock, are as strong as built to the nuts Toyota axles. Run the tons stock for a while, then when you can, upgrade them with chromos.

That plan has worked well for me, with a torquey motor, manual transmission, 42s, and a loose nut behind the wheel.

I feel like I have always known this to be true. And better brakes is s big plus
The tons, stock, are as strong as built to the nuts Toyota axles. Run the tons stock for a while, then when you can, upgrade them with chromos.

That plan has worked well for me, with a torquey motor, manual transmission, 42s, and a loose nut behind the wheel.

You at least need to upgrade the outer stub shafts to 35 spline. Stock Spicer stuff is good.

For me the main source of breaks was the 9.5" carrier, stock open lasted awhile, all the arb's I've had in 9.5's have spit teeth, broke cross shaft, leaked, etc... when I got the dana 60 I opened it up to see the difference in the size of the cross shaft in the 60 arb vs. the 9.5, I put the cover back on and smiled, it aint a small difference, it's a big difference,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom