Axle Strength (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a Dana 60 front and a 14 Bolt rear survive under 44'' boggers on a 1987 toyota land cruiser (fj60)???

thanx for your help....-mark

Yes and no. Really depends on how tough you are on the pedal. Know folks that could have FF105s with FF115 outters and 35" and still break them. Eaton/Rockwell FF are units that are found in Monster trucks :eek:. The 30 spline outters are going to chunk on you after awhile. And you will want to get crossover steering done. The shafts of the 14FF will be ok, but hey they practically grow on trees. To me, since I have one, I would use the D70HD on the rear. The 14FF can only get down to 5.13 gears. You can go to 7.17 in 70HD easily. And the shafts are non-necked down 35 spline 1.5xx" dia. units.

There are people out there who can screw up an anvil in the middle of the desert bare handed. On the other end of the scale some people are capable of winning the mint 400 with a stock VW transaxle. The point is, if you are discussing parts that might break, there is an adjustment for that. It's the pedal on the right.

just go with a set of 2 1/2 rockwells and mash the throttle all ya want.

IMO, the 60/14 is a good combo, but upgrade to the 35 fine-spline shafts and CTM joints. Lots of guys around here run that setup with few complaints, and they all beat their fullsize rigs hard.

Rockwells will end up a cheaper option tho, they are heavier duty too.

ohh then in that case i'll just go with the rockwell setup.. and put the 4'' springs on the rockwell, will that work??

watch your axle wrap in the rear tho....those axles are HEAVY and may pretzel your rear springs pretty quick...

44's are still a hella lotta tire...can't wait to see pics of it tho!

[quote author=LuvenMud15 link=board=12;threadid=4637;start=msg35136#msg35136 date=1061908362]
ohh then in that case i'll just go with the rockwell setup.. and put the 4'' springs on the rockwell, will that work??
[/quote]

Rockwells are a huge heavy axle. I personally think that leaf springs would be taking a ton of stress, and you would tear out hangers and spring mounts. I think it would be better to look at running a strong 4-link setup with 1.25 hiems, and use coilovers or coils.

well is there any comprimise between a 1 ton and a 2 1/2 axle.. so i would have strenth but on the other hand i would not have axle wrap... and still have a reasonable price

thanx -mark

I have a fj62 with the axle combo youspeak of 60+14b tbi 350 and a auto.(see http://69.61.14.149/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4508 ) scroll all the way down
I don't have a very heavy right foot,and the spings are still starting to get "s" shaped already.rockwells would tear sping all up.traction bars on the 14b and i think you'd be fine.

I assume you are talking to me. if so, the tires are 18x39.5x15 boggers on 15x8x8lug trudesign beadlocksw/2.5"backspacing.(to miss the caliapers)The axles,front, dana60w/powertrax no-slip and rear is a 14boltw/detroit and4.56's.other points of interest.350 tbi,700r4and 208(until i get the 241 in)

if ya decide to run rock's make sure ya build a good axel wrap bar and it will ba fine. heavy is an understatment

404 Unimog axles are the strongest!

I stood and watched a guy with rockwells SNAP four inner axle shafts on rock at Moab this year! Now he had a V8 and was hammering it, but they still snapped.

The portal box on the 404 absorbs at least half the torque so the axles are way stronger.

TB

You are speaking of the "Ogre" in upper Helldorado. That was truly ugly. Did you see how he did it? He was in the pinch with his front left tire jammed under a small out cropping. For some reason he couldn't comprehend that he needed to back about 2 feet and clear the wedged tire. With a pumped big block and fully locked with 50+ inches of rubber, those axles didn't stand a chance.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=12;threadid=4637;start=msg41156#msg41156 date=1063569290]
You are speaking of the "Ogre" in upper Helldorado. That was truly ugly. Did you see how he did it? He was in the pinch with his front left tire jammed under a small out cropping. For some reason he couldn't comprehend that he needed to back about 2 feet and clear the wedged tire. With a pumped big block and fully locked with 50+ inches of rubber, those axles didn't stand a chance.
[/quote]

anyone ogt pics of this??? vids???

My boy says we had already used up the film by then. He got some of heep spilling its guts on the waterfall though. Hehehe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom