Axle rear spring hanger angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've tacked the axles in place and I'm not sure I've done this correctly. Attached are 2 photos. One is the tacked axle and the other is the illustration that was sent with the axle. I've measured, multiple times, and I know there are 25 inches between the front and rear hanger.
Any suggestions?
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
axle tacked.jpg

You don't want the rear hanger vertical. Turning it over and resting trailer weight on it could change that. If that's how it sits at the 25" on-center mark, I'd shorten it to 24" O/C, splitting the difference so it goes equally in front and behind the axle, keeing the axle in the same place.

And it's worth contacting the vendor to see what they have to say. Maybe they sent the wrong springs? Maybe the specs on the spring changed and they haven't update the instrtuctions?

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking along the same lines about moving the rear hanger in a inch or so. Contacting the vendor is a good idea. Thanks again.

There is usually a bit of settling of springs. Putting weight to the springs might help. Those angles on the instructions do look a bit exaggerated.
Another consideration is the height of the front hangar. This will effect the rear angle as well.

Their diagram shows how it will sit with weight on it. I wouldn't move it until you see how it's going to sit with the target amount of weight on it.

Yeah, that's a possibility, that's why I suggested contacting the vendor. It's not clear to me that the drawing shows the relationship with weight on it, since the axle isn't penned in. The spring will lengthen as it's compressed, pushing the shackle to the left of where it is in the pic. Just not sure the result will be accomplished before the welds are made, which is probably why the OP is asking. I'd say they need to either change the diagram or make some notes to the effect that it'll look wrong UNTIL flipped and loaded with enough weight to begin compressing the spring, if that's the case.

Years ago Erik at Deaver Spring told me that compression shackles should ideally point to about 4:00/8:00 (depending on which side you're looking at it from) when at the normal loading. I don't think that spring has enough arch to get there. The front mount is too short, will result in Roll-steer like that. Leaf springs should sit level to nearly level with the front high. So that mount is in the right direction, but it is too far.

I would set the front mounts and c-clamp the rear mounts until it can be loaded. After loading it move the shackle mounts to where they should be and then burn them in.

Why such short leaf springs?

I appreciate all of the reply's.
One question was, "Why such short leaf springs?"
I measured the width/length etc of the trailer and gave those measurements to abc trailer parts and they sent me springs based on those measurements.

I just got off the phone with abc trailer parts. Bob, told me the illustration was incorrect that the measurement should be 24.5 inches. I also asked him if the illustration was with a load or without a load. His answer was no load. So, tonight I'll tack them at 24.5 and see what I have.
Again, thanks guys.

I'm impressed with ABC trailer parts. I've been so excited about getting the spring hangers welded on correctly. I finally did so and I went to mount the wheels. I discovered they shipped the axle with a 5 lug hub rather than the 6 lug. So I called them, they admitted their error and are sending me 6 lug hubs, lug nuts, etc. at no additional cost to me. They told me to keep the other hubs as well.
Great people go deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom