Axle Questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

J

jmiltier

Got a 83 fj60 and im goin to do a build up on it and wondering what size axle i have and how much rubber i can go with 37"? 39"? with chromoly parts in them thanks.

Front and rear ring gears are 9.5". Shafts are 1.31" 30 spline. Rear is semi floater with C-clips. Birfields are the weak link, so if you plan on running 37-39" rubber with lockers, I would go with chromoly.

You might also want to think about regearing. I went with 33s and 4.56 diffs and glad I did. Your effective gear ratio with 37s is 2.85:1. That is tall gearing. With a 4.88 diff gearing your equivalent ratio would be 3.76:1 or close to stock.

With 39's I think it would be a good idea to examine what you want ie engine,gears,tranny,what kind of lockers(if any),and the such.To figure that out you need to know how you will be using it ie looking cool,dune running, mudd bogging,rock crawling,a little bit of everything?Right now you can start with a clean slate and learn from those who have gone before you.Having a full Toy drivetrain is indeed ultra cool but it might be best to find a pre IFS 1 ton chevy pickup or suburban with a TBI engine and your choice of tranny.Then....swap in the whole drivetrain.You could run a Detriot in the back(14 bolt FF) and an ARB in the front(Dana 60) put the axles under the springs,open up the fenders a little (a lot)and put your 39's on it and call it good.It would be some work and you would have to do stuff like cut the floor for shifter find a bigger radiator and some stuff like that but it might be easier,stronger and even cheaper (read Less breakage)in the long run.If your just going to be running 37's and you have a light foot or plan on keeping you 6 cylinder ,moly shafts should be more than adequate.But if you want 39's and a strong V8............I think you know what I mean.Do some searching on this site and read some of the tech stuff,it might help you get a better idea of what you need.
-Rob

im doin probably a 4link rear and maybe one up front or a spring over. IM doin the back half tube. Want 39s at least. maybe a 4bt cummins:cool: i can find them pretty easy. Any one worry about the c-clips in the rear?? cutting the top probably. manual or auto trans with stak or atlas case or a marlin. Want to build something bad a** for trail riding and rocks and mud. I live in bristol, tn so most of the terrain is mountains, rocks and mud. thanks for the input:grinpimp:

*edit or i might do gas motor with propane and i have access to a 455 olds BB but prob. to heavy for my app.

If you are going that far with your build I wouldn't bother with keeping the Toy axles. If you run the Stak or Atlas, you can't run the stock rear axle anyway (offset diff). I would look more at the advice Rob gave ya. 14 bolt with a 60 front or something along those lines.

When im done it will look kinda like this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576773 :eek:
So i might as well go with full floaters in the rear like a 14 bolt or i have a dana 80 that has a bent tube that i can go ahead and cut the tubes on and put some new ones on with some knuckles and have rear steer and put a 60 up front!

The guys over in the Hard Core Corner probabley would have some good input on the build that you would like to do.Lowertideride and Mace seem to have some good ideas about wild stuff.I think they like to hang out over there some.
-Rob

ok thanks, i know what to do its just what to do if you know what i mean i was gonna go with rockwells but then i realize just how big they are so im probably doing some danas or 14 bolt thanks fellas

rockwells = 44's or bigger..

You can get a 14 bolt for $100.

Dual rockwells are cheaper than a single 60..

Go bigger tires ;)

Wheres a good place to get some rockwells Ill do the disc brake conversion on them and i want to do like some 44s or 46s Which is what i wanted to do from start well i really wanted to do 53 but i think 44 or 46s will work. thanks

You realize after a disc conversion on rockwells...you'll be up there in $$$....and not to mention your rig will be so tall, it'll flop over just looking at it wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice buggies with huge tires and a low COG....but on a 60...there wouldn't be much left and then you'da been better off building a buggy from scratch.

You'd be suprised where 37s will take you...hecks where 31s will take you.

Unless your running over 10 foot boulders...44s,46,59s,53s,54s....they all seem ridiculous.
Second quation is power.....you'll need more than gearing to get those tires moving?

govliquidations.com is a good place to watch for rockwells. I always see them on pirate...and they are all over for a reasonable price.

Well, I'm going to runnin 39.5 with 30spline longfields. I'll let ya know when I get her on the road.

Rockwells or 60s might not be too far from the distant future. :)

ok thanks ill think i will go for a 14 bolt and a 60 or two 60s when its all done so i might as well start now . thanks

I'd go 14 bolt over a rear 60. To make a rear 60 decently strong...you'll need to bore out the spindles to accept the larger 35 spline shaft and get a new locker for 35 splines....so it add up quicly. A 14 bolt is stronger in stock form and cheaper.....you'll never break an axle, but if you do..new shafts are like $20 at a pick n' pull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom