Axle Knuckle Pushing Wheel Right? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to be hard to really diagnose without being there. If axle was bent I’d expect uneven wear in the old tires if it was driven regularly. Sounds like it may not have been and only used as a toy.

Like @ZetheGSD said, the leaking knuckle could be because the housing is bent and the seal no longer sits where it should.

Good luck.

People weld to the the axle all the time without Issue, you can drive with the axle bent safely.
The grease on the knuckle could be from a clogged diff breather.

We need to know what is exactly happening.
witch way the steering wheel is facing doesn't matter.
Like Chris said do you have to hold the steering wheel one way or the other to go straight ?

@Jdub94, check out the clubhouse section in the banner at the top of the screen. Find your local club and hit them up. Let them know what you've got going on and someone will help you get this rig sorted, maybe even in time to make this trip you have planned. At the very least you won't be flying blind.

We need to know what is exactly happening.
witch way the steering wheel is facing doesn't matter.
Like Chris said do you have to hold the steering wheel one way or the other to go straight ?
Steering wheel has to be pulled about 15-20 degrees left to go straight. If I let go of the wheel, even after getting a straight line, it pulls to the right. It is more noticeable at higher speeds, obviously. But with the steering wheel pulled left to get the tires aligned, even just small wiggles of the steering back and forth still maneuvers the axle. So it's not like when I position the steering wheel to left there is a dead zone, it is still in control.

The reason I bring that up is because on my 99 F250 the wheel has a bit of a loose dead zone in the steering wheel where if I am straight on, I can wiggle back and forth just a tad with no steering response.

Shop that did my tires recommended a new drag link and then said "we think it might also be a loose king pin." So I did my research on the knuckle. Previous owner did say that he put in new bearings not too long ago. On the inside of the knuckle he said that it's likely that the seal is bad and just needs a new one. Could it be lack of grease inside the housing on that knuckle causing the rightward tug?

Gotcha. Another check: bolt the tires back up and while the wheel is in the air grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and try to rock it back and forth. Does anything feel loose? Do the same thing at 12 and 6. Any looseness?
Nothing loose there

@Jdub94, check out the clubhouse section in the banner at the top of the screen. Find your local club and hit them up. Let them know what you've got going on and someone will help you get this rig sorted, maybe even in time to make this trip you have planned. At the very least you won't be flying blind.
I live in Amarillo... we are closer to 5 other state capitals than our own.. all of those clubs are 5+ hours out

Calling @POTATO LAUNCHER, reckon you could lend a hand to this fella?
I did post to a cruiser page on facebook and some are saying that that front stabilizer is a bit wonky and twisted, and needs adjustment. I'm gonna go ahead and do that, as well since its a cheap and quick repair. $60 for a new damper. I will pull those tie rod ends out just a tad, as well, so that they are perpendicular to mounts.

It's not lack grease causing the pull.
Find a new tire shop as the drag link will not cause the pull nor will the kingpin.
On a solid front axle a bent tie rod or a bent axle would most likely be causing the pull ;)

No need to buy a new stabilizer, just pull the one you have off and give here a spin around the block.
If that's the issue, you will know right away !!

It's not lack grease causing the pull.
Find a new tire shop as the drag link will not cause the pull nor will the kingpin.
On a solid front axle a bent tie rod or a bent axle would most likely be causing the pull ;)
Okay, I will inspect the tie rods. I will post pics of axle so y'all can tell me if it looks fishy

There's only one tie rod, it's the one behind the axle ;)

Gotcha so the large straight one under the sway bar?
Yep
Also it's really hard to tell if the axle housing is bent with the naked eye.

Here are axle pics

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2036.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

Yep
Also it's really hard to tell if the axle housing is bent with the naked eye.
I will say that both stabilizer bars are pretty dang loosey goosey. the large tie rod moreso than the front stabilizer

Do you mean the the Control Arms ?

The Control Arms look custom made and would be suspect to me.

Do you mean the the Control Arms ?

The Control Arms look custom made and would be suspect to me.
The two large rods that the tie rods are attached to (and the steering dampener is mounted to on the front). Those I am able to wiggle back and forth pretty easy with one hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom